Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Donna Summer - Last Dance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 February 2009 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

I need some help on this one. The database has a number of listings under "neither the 45 nor LP version" as well as a number that are the "45 version" and the "12" single version." When I looked in Whitburn's "The Billboard Albums," the only album listings for this song are "Live And More," "On The Radio - Greatest Hits Volumes I & II," "Walk Away - Collector's Editions (The Best Of 1977-1980)," "VH1 Presents Donna Summer - Live & More Encore!" and "The Journey: The Vest Best Of Donna Summer."

The 45 version is a studio version, not live. Of the five listings from Whitburn's book, the three greatest hits albums have "neither the 45 nor LP version" (On The Radio) and the "45 version" (Walk Away and Journey).

So my question is: is there an LP version at all? The "neither the 45 nor LP version" would suggest so but there doesn't appear to be one on any studio album.
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 1:36am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Yes, Satchdr, there was an original LP version for "Last Dance" - it just didn't happen to be a Donna Summer album. It appeared on the soundtrack LP from the movie, "Thank God It's Friday".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Thanks, jimct. I still have a question, though.

Whitburn lists the song on the movie soundtrack album (Casablanca 7099.) Pat has two listings for the song on the CD version (Casablanca 314534606.) Neither of those versions are the "LP version." One is the "12" single version" and the other is the "LAST DANCE reprise." Was the "LP version" omitted from the CD release of the soundtrack or is the "12" single version" in reality the "LP version?"

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Okay, I've got some additional information on this issue.

I've confirmed that the length of "Last Dance" on Side A of the "Thank God It's Friday" soundtrack times out at 8:08. Thus, it appears that this version is BOTH the "12" single version" and the "LP version."

Does it make sense to annotate or change the designation in the database accordingly?

Or am I still off base?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

satchdr wrote:
Thus, it appears that this version is BOTH the "12" single version" and the "LP version."

Based on your information, there is no 12" version---there is only an LP version. If this is the case, the database should be changed to read "LP version" instead.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There are two things I can toss in here. 1) there is at least a dj 12" single of Last Dance if not a commercial copy that runs (8:09) and it says remixed by Marc Paul Simon & Bobby Guttadaro. 2) The vinyl LP soundtrack of "Thank God It's Friday" lists a running time for Last Dance of (6:58) but I just timed it and it really runs (8:09). My claim is that the cd release of "Last Dance" on the O.S.T. Thank God It's Friday really does contain the remix and not the original vinyl LP version of "Last Dance".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 February 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the additional info, Pat. So, the conclusion is that the LP version has never been issued on CD. Does anyone know what the differences are between the 12" and LP versions?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Additional information:

I've compared the original "Thank God It's Friday" vinyl LP version to the "Bad Girls - Deluxe Edition" CD version.

Pat is correct that they are different and here's the twist: the LP version is mono and the CD version is stereo. It appears to me that the LP version is a fold down of the CD version. Other than the LP version sounding "muddier," I could not discern any real differences in the mix when I did an A/B comparison. Both versions are exactly the same length (8:11).

Quite a bit of deadwax notations on my LP: "NBLP 7099 3" then "AS 21G" then "K-9685" and finally "GOL" (at various points around the perimeter.)

I'm searching for the vinyl 12" version to see if there are other differences but haven't found a copy yet.

smvceo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2009 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote smvceo

Be aware of disco practices in the 70s. Remember Gloria Gaynor's Love Tracks? First pressings of that LP contain a 4+ minute version of "I Will Survive" that was longer than the 45 but shorter than the 12" single. Second pressings contained the 12" single version, and Polydor discontinued pressing the 12" single. This is only one example of how LP contents changed during the 70s. Incidentally, the A-side of that 12" single was not "I Will Survive," but "Substitute."

Incidentally, I own a 12" single of "Last Dance," if a dub might help. Where is "Last Dance" in mono?
Back to Top View smvceo's Profile Search for other posts by smvceo Visit smvceo's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

My version of the vinyl 'Thank God It's Friday' is labelled 7:10, runs about 8:10, is true stereo and I don't believe it's the true promo 12" mix (as my memory seems to think the kick drum came in at full-volume on the promo 12" [where on this version the kick drum fades in]).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 February 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Upon further review of this 12" dj single vs LP situation, my kick drum fades in on both the 12" promo and LP version, both are stereo and I now do not hear any difference between the two. I guess at one time I thought I heard some difference in mix but I was probably swayed by the credit on the 12" dj vinyl that read "disco remix by Marc Paul Simon & Bobby Guttadaro". If anyone can come up with any mix differences, please stand up and be counted.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Pat:

Thanks for the clarification!

I no longer own the 12" inch vinyl and was going by memory.

Andy

Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version