Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Complete Motown Singles 1971 - 11B Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 January 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Track listing is now out:

1971 -11B

I see a number of stereo promo versions mentioned. Any difference between those and the commercial 45 versions?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The Messengers' #62 hit "That's The Way A Woman Is" has differences between the mono and stereo sides of the Rare Earth promo 45. Commercial 45s were mono.

The stereo side runs at a faster pitch (1:55 vs. the 1:58 mono) and has a wetter lead vocal, panned both hard left and hard right.

The mono vocals are drier and more upfront, and the lead singer takes a noticeable breath before his first line. Most of that breath is missing on the stereo side.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks for the heads-up on that, John. Didn't know it would be seeing the light of day quite this soon after 11A's release in Nov., but I'll take it, and I have just pre-ordered it. The website says the release date is 1/20. Also, it's good to see that the Hip-O Select website is back on the beam, after being totally "MIA" regarding the release/existance of a Vol. 11A in the series! Pat, as usual, I will provide you with "guest reviewer" details for the songs that appear on Vol. 11B that are currently in your database.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2009 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Jeez, I still haven't hard back from Harry Weinger regarding Mama's Pearl.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

"Touch" by the Supremes (stereo promo)was unique to the prmoo, it doesn't match the stereo LP version in vocal placement and the piano is hotter on the intro. I don't think a fold down to mono gets you the exact mono mix but it's close.

"Hey Big Brother" by Rare Earth is interesting because only the long stereo promo version has made it to CD. The mono single which has a different introduction makes it's first appearance here.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2009 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Brian W. wrote:
Jeez, I still haven't hard back from Harry Weinger regarding Mama's Pearl.

ditto. i won't buy 11a until it's corrected.
Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Granted, it's still not at retail (or iTunes), but for anyone who does have it, is the proper 45 version of the Four Tops' "MacArthur Park (Part 2)" on there, or is it wrong?

And Brian, anything further on your quest to get ahold of Weinger regarding "Mama's Pearl?"

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, Hip-O Select, for some unknown reason, decided to use Fedex this time to ship Vol. 11B out to my PO Box last Friday, which they can't legally deliver to. That had never happened to me before from Hip-O Select. So, after the usual Fedex postcard to "please call our customer service so we can get an address" shenanigans, I've finally been told I'll get it on Monday. But my suspicion is that other folks, who've experienced less drama that I have here, may well have gotten it back on Monday. I'll provide details to both the Board, and a "guest review" for Pat, whenever it finally gets to me. :(

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

sriv94 wrote:

And Brian, anything further on your quest to get ahold of Weinger regarding "Mama's Pearl?"

Not till the other day, when I sent him two additional emails asking him, one, if he knew the status of any repressing, and, two, if he was aware that, according to Waldo, "She's Good" is also incorrect. I also mentioned "ABC."

He did finally respond on 1/26 and apologized for the delay in getting back to me, and thanked me for sending him the error list. It was the first he'd heard about "ABC" being the wrong version. Then he promised he'd get back to me about the repress.

Hopefully I'll hear something more definitive from him soon. (I also recommended he check out this site.)

Edited by Brian W. on 30 January 2009 at 8:52pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
Guys, Hip-O Select, for some unknown reason, decided to use Fedex this time to ship Vol. 11B out to my PO Box last Friday

I read on the Steve Hoffman board that what happened is Hip-O changed fulfillment centers, and their new fulfillment center uses Fed-Ex. Hip-O doesn't actually do the packaging and shipping themselves... they farm the work out to another company. (Just be thankful it wasn't shipped from India.)

Edited by Brian W. on 30 January 2009 at 8:49pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

sriv94 wrote:
...is the proper 45 version of the Four Tops' "MacArthur Park (Part 2)" on there, or is it wrong?
Doug, I finally received Vol. 11B today. "MacArthur Park (Part II)" is (M), and runs (3:06). My commercial 45 is mono, has a listed time of (2:59), and an actual time of (3:07), so this new CD version appears to be golden.

Edited by jimct on 02 February 2009 at 4:11pm

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Brian W. wrote:

Not till the other day, when I sent him two additional emails asking him, one, if he knew the status of any repressing, and, two, if he was aware that, according to Waldo, "She's Good" is also incorrect. I also mentioned "ABC."

thanks Brian, i gave in and purchased 11A in the end.. 'She's Good' is even mentioned in the book.. but it's 100% not what one hears on the disc! they have the group album version. a short promotional version of Maybe Tomorrow is also MIA!

http://www.jackson5abc.com/albums/maybe-tomorrow/maybe-tomor row/

Edited by waldo on 03 February 2009 at 5:57am

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jimct wrote:
sriv94 wrote:
...is the proper 45 version of the Four Tops' "MacArthur Park (Part 2)" on there, or is it wrong?
Doug, I finally received Vol. 11B today. "MacArthur Park (Part II)" is (M), and runs (3:06). My commercial 45 is mono, has a listed time of (2:59), and an actual time of (3:07), so this new CD version appears to be golden.

Wonderful. Look forward to getting it when it gets on iTunes.

Which seemingly will be 3/3/09.

Thanks for your help, Jim.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian, since it seems like there's a chance of some corrected re-pressings for some of these discs, next time you communicate with Harry Weinger, could you also submit to him for inclusion the short stock 45 version of the Temptations "Run Away Child, Running Wild", which I now have two U.S. stock copies of? It had to also be issued to radio as a promo 45 as well, back in 1969. And FYI, Pat has been kind enough to have now finished entering all of the details for Vol. 11B's current database entries into his database.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

After looking at Pat's inputed info, was really hoping that the 3:04 version of "Hey Big Brother" would have been in stereo, rather than mono. I have a copy of the stock 45 and it's mono, so that's what they must have used.

Edited by eriejwg on 03 February 2009 at 7:33pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
next time you communicate with Harry Weinger, could you also submit to him for inclusion the short stock 45 version of the Temptations "Run Away Child, Running Wild", which I now have two U.S. stock copies of?

If I ever hear from him again, I will mention it, Jim. Thanks.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

waldo wrote:
Brian W. wrote:

thanks Brian, i gave in and purchased 11A in the end.. 'She's Good' is even mentioned in the book.. but it's 100% not what one hears on the disc! they have the group album version. a short promotional version of Maybe Tomorrow is also MIA!

http://www.jackson5abc.com/albums/maybe-tomorrow/maybe-tomor row/

Is the mono 45 version of "Maybe Tomorrow" the same mix as the stereo DJ version running 4:32 (aside from the inherent left-right channel panning differences between the mono and stereo)?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Todd Ireland wrote:
Is the mono 45 version of "Maybe Tomorrow" the same mix as the stereo DJ version running 4:32 (aside from the inherent left-right channel panning differences between the mono and stereo)?

i think it's the same, however there are some vocal differences between the mono 45, promotional stereo 45 and album versions. the line approximately at 2:04 on the album version "..maybe she won't.." is omitted on the mono and promotional stereo 45's.

incidently on the recent compilation Michael Jackson Gold - a Mono 45 exists but with the "..maybe she won't.." line. go figure. we are calling that a Mono LP version but matching the 45 length.

Edited by waldo on 11 February 2009 at 8:53am

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Never mind. I have it wrong.

Edited by The Hits Man on 03 March 2009 at 12:58pm

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 March 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The Hits Man wrote:
sriv94 wrote:

I checked the version on the just released Complete motown Singles Collection 11B, and I have confirmed beyond any doubt that this does indeed have the absolute correct 45 mono mix. Pretty much every other CD I have heard or owned with it claiming to be a stereo single version is wrong.

I checked it against my original 45.

Besides the track being mono, what else is unique on this mix (versus the stereo 45 mix currently listed in the database)? Or, what is wrong with the stereo single version? Just trying to determine what exactly is different between the two. The vinyl 45 starts with the "bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum" introduction sung by Tito Jackson. Thought that was how you could indentify the 45 vs. the LP mix?

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 03 March 2009 at 12:54pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version