Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: George Baker Selection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 October 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I noticed that in the 9th ed. "Paloma Blanca" on Varese Sarabande was listed as "45 version" but in the database, that distinction has been removed. Did you learn something to indicate this is NOT the 45 version? It seems to have the edited intro, so I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Edited by Moderator on 15 October 2005 at 9:55am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 October 2005 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The LP states a time of (3:49) but I discovered that information is not correct and the 45 and LP version are identical so I removed the comment 45 version.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I want to bring this song back to people's attention. The intro on the CD and LP (and apparently 45) is 43 seconds long. But I seem to remember hearing a version that cut the intro in half (which wouldn't be surprising, since in 1976, a 43-second intro for an AM radio type hit was really long!) So does anyone know if the dj singles were edited, or if there exists a 2nd version of the 45 that has the shorter intro? Can anyone check their collections?

It could be that the Boston radio stations all edited it down exactly the same exact way, and that that was all I knew. But I know when I got the song on CD the first time, I expected the intro to be a certain way, and it surprised me to hear it twice as long.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Gordon: You may be onto something.

Check out the label for this 45. The time shown is 2:37. Not sure if it's a re-recording or the history of them on this label.

Looks like a Canadian issue. "Little Green Bag" is on the flip.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

A Canadian release that says "Made in the USA"!

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I have two stock and four promo copies (hey, the folks at the local WEA office said "help yourself to whatever 45s you want," and boy, did I.) All copies list the time as 3:27. The promos all have the full :43 intro on both the stereo and mono sides. Matrix numbers on all four promos are identical; stereo TAA-6856-S-1B and mono TAA-6856-1A.

The stocks also have the :43 intro. Machine-stamped matrix # is TAA (scratched out numbers) S-1C , followed by hand-etched 6856.

The Stardust 45 reissues I've bought over the years were usually the original versions, though not always of the best sound quality. Ditto for some of the earlier Underground yellow label reissues. However, the yellow-label Underground 45s licensed from Capitol were the real deal. I'd bought the T-Bones' stereo "No Matter What Shape" (Underground 1050) years ago, but the B-side turned out to be the treasure. "Half Past Midnight" by The Staccatos (the label credits the group's later name, The Five Man Electrical Band) was in crisp, true stereo, and even ran a bit longer than the original Canadian Capitol / US Tower 45s.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Quite possible, the label scan shown, instead of 2:37, could really be 3:27...
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

EdisonLite wrote:

It could be that the Boston radio stations all edited it down exactly the same exact way, and that that was all I knew. But I know when I got the song on CD the first time, I expected the intro to be a certain way, and it surprised me to hear it twice as long.

WRKO was notorious for doing custom edits of songs, that may be what you remember. Wasn't there some edict from their national PD about song length? I rarely listened to WVBF so I don't know what they played.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2008 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I never listened to RKO. It was always VBF and BZ-FM and PRO-FM from Providence, RI.

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Sorry to be hauling this one back to the front, but I have some new info on this song.

I just picked up a DISKY series, one of which is titled "Best of 1974-1975" and my first discovery in it is a 3:47 version of this song. The only differences are (1)it's got a :20 second longer intro than the 45 and my vinyl LP and (2) it's about 1.4% faster than the 45. When the edit is made and the speed is corrected, the 45 version is indeed 3:27, as is my vinyl LP version. Perhaps that is the USA LP/45 version, while the 3:47 version is the UK version. Don't know. Maybe someone can shed some light on that. I didn't know that a longer version even existed till I picked up this Disky series, which I hope will provide me with several more unknown nuggets.

Since it is an import, it'll probably never appear in the DB, but the info should probably be changed to "45 & LP edit" or something. Incidentally, to create the 45 edit, simply take out from :39.185 to 1:02.767 and then slow it down.

Now...how to we create that DJ edit??
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Good info, Robert. Does the song appear on the DISKY CD in stereo? Also, you mention the 45 and LP version both run 3:27, yet the database shows the lone CD containing an "LP version" comment as having a run time of 4:24. Are there two different LP pressings, or is the database CD in question labeled incorrectly?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Todd, yes it is stereo and very clean sounding. As for the 4:24 LP version, I think that's the LP version of "Little Green Bag," not "Paloma Blanca." Incidentally, my Disky version of "Bag" is the LP version faded early. It would be nice to find the rest of it in stereo, but only Collectables has it, and as Pat says, it's rechanneled.

Back to "Paloma," I've just finished timing my vinyl LP version of "Paloma" and it times out at 3:27, just like the 45. That's what led me to believe that the version on Disky, with the additional :20 intro was perhaps the original UK version that was edited for its US release.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Oh... I actually thought you were talking about "Little Green Bag". My mistake!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Robert wrote:
I just picked up a DISKY series, one of which is titled "Best of 1974-1975" and my first discovery in it is a 3:47 version of this song. The only differences are (1)it's got a :20 second longer intro than the 45 and my vinyl LP and (2) it's about 1.4% faster than the 45. Perhaps that is the USA LP/45 version, while the 3:47 version is the UK version. Don't know. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.   

Since it is an import, it'll probably never appear in the DB, but the info should probably be changed to "45 & LP edit" or something.

I can finally shed a little light on this now. And I also have an understanding about what appears in the database:

PALOMA BLANCA (LP length is (3:28) not (3:49) as the record label states)

Well, there IS a reason why the label would wrongly state the length is 3:49 - I now have the original "Paloma Blanca" album on CD, imported from Holland where George Baker is from, and on this CD, Paloma Blanca is longer than anything on any US release - it's 3:49 - just like the US LP label (wrongly) states. That's probably why they had the time listed that way. As Robert says, it's a longer intro. It's over a minute! I actually really like this version - but then again, I really like the original. I'm not sure what the UK version would be, which Robert asks about above - but the Dutch/Holland version is certainly 3:49. Robert writes:

<the info should probably be changed to "45 & LP edit" or something>

Maybe "45 & US LP" would be a good indication for the database? I know we're not comparing things to overseas releases in the database, but with a notation like that, at least it might allow people to examine further and find out what the non-US LP lengths are. Just a suggestion.

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

The LP version that I've heard had, besides the two
instrumental intro back-to-back pre-vocal verses, the
chorus also done as instrumental before the opening
verse lyrics, "When the mountains.." and it's
apparently a different take. The single doesn't have
that instrumental (oboe?) chorus pre-vocal.:)

Edited by Steve Carras on 20 December 2014 at 9:17pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version