Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Late 80’s commercial 3" CD singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

When these were current, I bought a good many songs on this short-lived U.S. configuration, mainly released between 1987 and 1989: the 3-inch, commercial CD single. And while I do have a few others (that were not put out as a promo CD single) that I've stored with my main CD single inventory, I would bet that any/all details for these are sketchy, at best. For this reason, I have decided to list them here, in case anyone is curious. Most of these made the Top 40, but some did not, but I will just go ahead and list them all here, alphabetically by artist:

-Al B. Sure-Off On Your Own (Girl)(LP Version)/Noche Y Dia (Fade) (WB 27870-2)
-Anita Baker-Giving You The Best That I Got/Good Enough (Elektra 69371-2)
-Anita Baker-Just Because/Good Enough (Elektra 69327-2)
-Bangles-Be With You/Let It Go (Columbia 38K 68744)
-Bangles-In Your Room/Bell Jar (Columbia 38K 08090)
-Bardeux: 1) When We Kiss (Radio Edit) 2) Sex Machine 3) When We Kiss 4) Magic Carpet Ride (Remix) (Enigma/Synthicide D3-75018)
-Bon Jovi-Bad Medicine (Edit Version)/99 In The Shade (Mercury 870 657-3)
-Bon Jovi-Born To Be With You/Love For Sale (Mercury 872 156-2)
-Bon Jovi-I'll Be There For You/Homebound Train (Mercury 872 564-2)
-Peter Cetera-One Good Woman/One More Story (WB/Full Moon 27824-2)
-Tracy Chapman-Baby Can I Hold You/If Not Now (Elektra 69356-2)
-Tracy Chapman-Talkin' Bout A Revolution/Behind The Wall (Live Version) (Elektra 69383-2)
-Chicago-Look Away (Remix)/Come In From The Night (Reprise/Full Moon 27766-2)
-Chicago-You're Not Alone (Remix)/It's Alright (Reprise/Full Moon 27757-2)
-Cinderella-The Last Mile/Long Cold Winter (Mercury 872 148-2)
-Terence Trent D'Arby-Dance Little Sister (Part One)/(Part Two) (Columbia 38K-08023)
-Terence Trent D'Arby-Sign Your Name/Greasy Chicken (Columbia 38K-07911)
-Def Leppard-Rocket/Women (Live) (Mercury 872 614-2)
-Depeche Mode-Strangelove (Remix/Edit)/Nothing (Remix/Edit) (Sire 27777-2)
-Duran Duran: 1) All She Wants Is (45 Mix) 2) Skin Trade (Parisian Mix) 3) I Believe/All I Need To Know (Medley) (Capitol C3-44287-2)
-Duran Duran-I Don't Want Your Love 1-(7" Mix) 2-(LP Version) 3-(Big Mix) (Capitol C3-44237-2)
-Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine-Anything For You/(Spanish Version) (Epic 34K-07759)
-Julio Igleasias-My Love (w/Stevie Wonder)/Words And Music (Columbia 38K-07781)
-Michael Jackson-Dirty Diana/(Instrumental) (Epic 34K-07739)
-Michael Jackson-Man In The Mirror/(Instrumental) (Epic 34K-07668)
-Michael Jackson-The Way You Make Me Feel/(Instrumental) (Epic 34K-07645)
-Jacksons-Nothin (That Compares 2 U)/Alright With Me (Epic 34K-68688)
-Kiss-Let's Put The X In Sex/Calling Dr. Love (Mercury 872 246-2)
-Cyndi Lauper-Hole In My Heart (All The Way To China)/Boy Blue (Live) (Epic 34K-07940)
-Cyndi Lauper-I Drove All Night/Maybe He'll Know (Epic 34K-68759)
-Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam-Little Jackie Wants To Be A Star/Star (The Jackie Mix) (Columbia 34K-68674)
-Kenny Loggins-I'm Gonna Miss You/Isabella's Eyes (Columbia 38K-08091)
-Kenny Loggins-Nobody's Fool (Theme From "Caddyshack II")/I'm Gonna Do It Right (Columbia 38K-07971)
-Madonna-Like A Prayer (7" Version)/Act Of Contrition (Sire 27539-2)
-Metallica-One/The Prince (Elektra 69329-2)
-George Michael-Kissing A Fool/(Instrumental) (Columbia 38K-08050)
-George Michael-Monkey/Monkey (Acappella) (Columbia 38K-07941)
-Eddie Money-Walk On Water/Dancing With Mr. Jitters (Columbia 38K-08060)
-New Kids On The Block-I'll Be Loving You (Forever)/(Instrumental) (Columbia 38K-68671)
-Outfield-Voices Of Babylon/Inside Your Skin (Columbia 38K-68601)
-Robert Palmer-Early In The Morning (Single Version)/Disturbing Behavior (EMI/Manhattan E3-50157)
-Pasadenas-Tribute (Right On)/I Believe (Columbia 38K 68575)
-Poison-Every Rose Has Its Thorn/Livin' For The Minute (Capitol/Enigma C3-44203-2)
-Poison-Your Mama Don't Dance/Look What The Cat Dragged In (Capitol/Enigma C3-44293-2)
-R.E.M.-Stand (LP Version)/Memphis Train Blues (WB 27688-2)
-Sade-Paradise (Remix)/Super Blen Total (Epic 34K-07904)
-Simply Red-It's Only Love (Valentine Mix)/Turn It Up (Elektra 69317-2)
-Starship-Wild Again/Laying It On The Line (Live Version) (Elektra 69349-2)
-Rod Stewart-Forever Young (LP Version)/Days Of Rage (WB 27796-2)
-Barbra Streisand-Till I Loved You (Duet With Don Johnson)/Two People (Columbia 38K-08062)
-Keith Sweat-Make It Last Forever (Edit)/(Vocal Beat) (Elektra 69386-2)
-10,000 Maniacs-What's The Matter Here?/Cherry Tree (Elektra 69388-2)
-Timelords: 1) Doctorin' The Tardis 2) Doctorin' The Tardis (dub) 3) Gary In The Tardis (TVT 4024 CD3)
-Traveling Wilburys-End Of The Line (LP Version)/Congratulations (LP Version) (Wilbury/WB 27637-2)
-Traveling Wilburys-Handle With Care (LP Version)/Margarita (LP version) (Wilbury/WB 27732-2)
-U2: 1) Angel Of Harlem 2) A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel 3) Love Rescue Me (Island 96590-2)
-Van Halen-Finish What Ya Started/Sucker In A 3 Piece (WB 27746-2)
-Steve Winwood: 1) Holding On 2) Holding On (Instrumental) 3) Gojuan (Aaghh Mix) 4) Holding On (Steveapella Mix) (Virgin 2-96595)
-Steve Winwood-Roll With It (7" Version)/The Morning Side (Virgin 99326-2)

(PS-In addition to a standard 5" promo CD single for Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car", we also received in a 3" promo CD single for it (PR CD 3-2264-2): 1-Fast Car (listed 4:26) 2-For You (listed 3:09). We also got in three other 3" promo CD singles, the low-charting "Broken Land" by the Adventures, b/w "Don't Stand On Me" (Elektra PR CD 3-2263-2), Stevie Wonder: 1) You Will Know 2) You Will Know (Instrumental) 3) You Will Know & Stevie Wonder Interview (Motown PR-222MD), and the one-track, non-charting "Small Circles" by the Rainmakers (Mercury CDP 09), which I believe was the first of the 3 that was received. I also own 23 "Oldies But Goodies" 3-inch commercial CDs, containing between 2 and 4 tracks, that I remember buying on an "as needed" basis, in regard to CD availability at the time. For some of these, I remember they were released before ANY full-length "hits" CDs had been issued for these groups:

-Frankie Avalon: 1) Venus 2) Why 3)Just Ask Your Heart 4) Ginger Bread (Era 226-2)
-Beatles-Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You (Capitol C3-44278-2)
-Beatles-She Loves You/I'll Get You (Capitol C3-44281-2)
-Classics IV: 1) Spooky 2) Traces 3) Everyday With You Girl 4) Stormy (Rhino R3 73004)
-Tony Orlando & Dawn: 1) Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree 2) Knock Three Times 3) Candida (Arista CD3-3019)
-Delfonics: 1) La La Means I Love You 2) Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time 3) Ready Or Not Here I Come (Arista CD3-3003)
-Dells: 1) Oh, What A Night (1969 Version) 2) There Is 3) Stay In My Corner 4) Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation (Chess/MCA CHD-37282)
-Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine-Conga/Mucho Money (Epic 34K-05457)
-Fleetwoods: 1) Mr. Blue 2) Come Softly To Me 3) Tragedy 4) Runaround (Rhino R3 73009)
-Bobby Fuller Four: 1) I Fought The Law 2) Let Her Dance 3) Love's Made A Fool Of You 4) The Magic Touch (Rhino R3 73055)
-Impressions: 1) Gypsy Woman 2) It's All Right 3) Amen 4) People Get Ready (MCA MCAD-37297)
-Jan & Dean: 1) Surf City 2) Ride The Wild Surf 3) The Litle Old Lady (From Pasadena) 4) Dead Man's Curve (Rhino R3 73011)
-Jay & The Americans: 1) Come A Little Bit Closer 2) She Cried 3) Only In America 4) Let's Lock The Door (And Throw Away The Key) (Rhino R3 73034)
-Gary Lewis & The Playboys: 1) This Diamond Ring 2)She's Just My Style 3) Everybody Loves A Clown 4) Sure Gonna Miss Her (Rhino R373037)
-Little Anthony & The Imperials: 1) Goin' Out Of My Head 2) I'm On The Outside (Looking In) 3) Hurt So Bad 4) Take Me Back (Rhino R3 73013)
-Eddie Money-Baby Hold On/Two Tickets To Paradise (LP versions) (Columbia 13K 68655)
-Pink Floyd-Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)/One Of My Turns (Columbia 38K-03118) (By a MILE, my proudest-to-own 3" CD. Unless it has recently appeared on some Pink Floyd deluxe CD or comp, to my knowledge this has been the only CD appearance I've known of for the 1980 hit 45 version of this song.)
-Rare Earth: 1) Get Ready 2) (I Know) I'm Losing You 3) Born To Wander 4) I Just Want To Celebrate (Motown MOTD-70016)
-Todd Rundgren: 1) I Saw The Light 2) We Gotta Get You A Woman 3) Hello It's Me 4) Can We Still Be Friends (Rhino R3 73025)
-Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger/Burning Heart (Scotti Brothers ZSK 68668)
-Luther Vandross-Never Too Much/Superstar (Don't You Remember...) (Epic 34K-05482)
-Ventures: 1) Walk-Don't Run 2) Hawaii Five-O 3) Perfidia 4) Wipe Out (Rhino 73020)
-Wham!-Careless Whisper/(Instrumental) (Columbia 13K 68662)
-Brenton Wood: 1) The Oogum Boogum Song 2) Gimme Little Sign 3) Baby You Got It 4) Me And You (Rhino 73060)

This info is far from complete, and I invite anyone else with knowledge/possession of others to add them here.      

Edited by jimct on 31 December 2008 at 5:53am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I remember having an Oldies But Goodies cassette when i was a young kid, that paired up The Jerk by the Larks (stereo LP version) b/w Twist And Shout by the Isley Brothers (also in stereo).... i'll bet that pairing is on one of your cd's, jim.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2008 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom, I do own those two songs paired up on an Original Sound oldies 45, but not on one of those oldies CDs, which I've now added all the details to in my original post. I think the main factor in what was put out then was if either the Columbia/Epic/Associated labels, Arista, or MCA/Associated labels, the labels who issued the 3-inchers, happened to own the rights to the songs, or, in Rhino's case, simply that they were the hands-down #1 CD re-issue label of that era.

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

jim, some of the title you have listed above were part of an early Rhino Records foray into digital called "Lil' Bit Of Gold" on 3" CD... there were dozens of titles, mainly Capitol-EMI aftists... as i recall, they weren't cheap (about $5.99 for four songs), but they were worth the price because some of the recordings made their debut on CD in this series (Todd Rundgren, for example), which had been out of print on vinyl for years... at best it was a crapshoot, because not all CD players of the time played the 3" format...
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 29 November 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

In a way I'm sort of surprised this format didn't catch on, where (ugh) cassette singles sort of became the norm in the late 80s/early 90s. I'm sure the fact that they were overpriced had a lot to do with it, not to mention that there was no real pattern to what was released on CD and availability was spotty at best. JRJR was right about Rhino being a big proponent of them, I have one by the Vogues that has their 1st 4 Co&Ce singles on it...I think it was a bonus item when I bought a whole bunch of LPs they were cutting out.
I recall seeing a couple of promo samplers also in the 3" format, mostly on CBS-distributed labels.
I don't ever recall seeing a consumer CD player (other than maybe car radios or Walkman-type) that didn't play them. Dunno about broadcast models, I never worked at a station that played CDs on-air, the ones I worked at thru that era went from carts to music-on-hard-drive.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I was music director at a late-'80s oldies/classic hits station that played CDs on-air before the first CD "cart" players were introduced. When it came to disc readability, the station's Studer CD decks needed glasses. Sometimes what looked like inconsequential marks on the playing surface caused skipping, stutters or even complete unreadability. I'd replace the bad CDs, then take the old ones home and have them play just fine. The sharp corners on the Studer's trays were themselves often the causes of "fatal" scratches through normal disc handling. And I won't mention how there was no lockout to prevent accidentally ejecting discs while they were playing on the air.

The Studers had no problems handling CD3s. But for filing purposes, the discs needed to be housed in standard 5-inch jewel cases, with title/artist spine info typed up and inserted. The Lil' Bit Of Gold series worked out perfectly: the sleeve could be taped to the inside of the jewel box cover, with the spine info cut from the outer packaging and taped onto the case's outside.

I bought only one of the Arista CD3s, The Kinks (CD3-3005), which featured "Come Dancing", "Destroyer" and "Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy." The sound quality on the last cut was particularly awful.

Got the Beatles CD3 "A Hard Day's Night"/"Things We Said Today" (Capitol C3-440306-2).

I also have an interesting 1988 A & M CD3 sampler that has this blurb on the back:

"LESS IS MORE

We know you've heard it a thousand times, but this time it's true. The enclosed 3 inch compact disc has less capacity in less space for less money than its bigger CD brother. Yet it delivers more quality than vinyl or tape and more music than any single ever has. Don't wait a minute more. Listen to the enclosed sampler from our first commercial release on CD3."

The sampler came in its own custom cardboard clamshell, which itself was enclosed in a plastic 5-inch "CD3" Klearfold package, along with a 5-inch adaptor. Rick Dees hosts the disc's contents, and he mentions a $4.99 price point.

One thing I discovered not long ago: the CD3 discs have held up better over time than the increasingly-brittle plastic 5-inch adaptors that accompanied some of them.

Agreed, the format's overly-steep price point doomed the CD3 before it ever got out of the gate.

Edited by Yah Shure on 29 November 2008 at 10:13am
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2008 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

here are several CD3s that Jim didn't mention that I have. 2 hits and 2 lower charters:

Bryan Adams - Run To You/Diana/Into The Fire (live) A&M 7502-31019-2 (1989)
Poison - Every Rose Has It's Thorn/Livin' For The Minute Enigma C3-44203-2
Sting - Englishman In New York/Someone To Watch Over Me/Up From The Skies A&M CC 31001
The Timelords - Doctorin' The Tardis (7")/Doctorin' The Tardis (12")/Gary In The Tardis TVT 4024

Edited by cmmmbase on 29 November 2008 at 2:31pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 29 November 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:
When it came to disc readability, the station's Studer CD decks needed glasses. Sometimes what looked like inconsequential marks on the playing surface caused skipping, stutters or even complete unreadability. I'd replace the bad CDs, then take the old ones home and have them play just fine.

Yeah, those were junk. I worked at a couple stations that had them. Not the most intuative things to operate either. Whole bunch of buttons that it wasn't real clear what they did, even the "normal" functions were kind of bass-ackwards from other CD players. If you had a CD that ran much longer than 65 minutes or so, it was a toss up whether the last cut would play or not.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 November 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I have just completed the last bit of research on my personal 3" commercial CD singles, uncovering 14 more, all from 1988 and 1989, which we received no promo CD singles for, and I'd filed them with those instead. Two of them had been recently supplied by Chuck:

-Poison-Every Rose Has Its Thorn/Livin' For The Minute (Capitol/Enigma C3-44203-2)
-Timelords: 1) Doctorin' The Tardis 2)Doctorin' The Tardis (dub) 3) Gary In The Tardis (TVT 4024 CD3)

Here are the other 12, which I will also go ahead and include/modify to my original post, to provide a fairly complete, A to Z by artist reference.

-Bardeux: 1) When We Kiss (Radio Edit) 2) Sex Machine 3) When We Kiss 4) Magic Carpet Ride (Remix) (Enigma/Synthicide D3-75018) (this is the only place on CD I know of for this song's "Radio Edit")
-Bon Jovi-Born To Be My Baby/Love For Sale (Mercury 872 156-2)
-Bon Jovi-I'll Be There For You/Homebound Train (Mercury 872 564-2)
-Cinderella-The Last Mile/Long Cold Winter (Mercury 872 148-2)
-Duran Duran: 1) All She Wants Is (45 Mix) 2) Skin Trade (Parisian Mix) 3) I Believe/All I Need To Know (Medley) (Capitol C3-44287-2)
-Gloria Estefan And Miami Sound Machine-Anything For You/(Spanish Version) (Epic 34K-07759)
-Kiss-Let's Put The X In Sex/Calling Dr. Love (Mercury 872 246-2)
-Kenny Loggins-I'm Gonna Miss You/Isabella's Eyes (Columbia 38K-08091)
-Poison-Your Mama Don't Dance/Look What The Cat Dragged In (Capitol/Enigma C3-44293-2)
-R.E.M.-Stand (LP version)/Memphis Train Blues (WB 27688-2)
-Keith Sweat-Make It Last Forever (Edit)/(Vocal Beat) (Elektra 69386-2)
(**This last one is a 3" promo CD single**)
-Stevie Wonder: 1) You Will Know 2) You Will Know (Instrumental 3) You Will Know & Stevie Wonder Interview (Motown PR-222MD)

Edited by jimct on 30 November 2008 at 1:10pm

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I recall getting Fleetwood Mac's "Little Lies" and Aerosmith's "Angel" in this form too.
In fact the Aerosmith came with the adapter that was needed to play the mini discs.
Maybe they were promo and not commercially released.
That's one for the experts on the panel!
We had to use an adapter when we played the Timelords.
It was what TVT serviced.

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2008 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

forgot about the Fleetwood Mac - I've got that one..

Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies (LP version)/Little Lies (extended version) Warner Bros PRO-CDS-2818

the most recent import CD3 I've got is one of Calloway's "I Wanna Be Rich"

there is also a website about CD3s, www.cd3music.com

Edited by cmmmbase on 30 November 2008 at 7:55pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
-Pink Floyd-Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)/One Of My Turns (Columbia 38K-03118) (By a MILE, my proudest-to-own 3" CD. Unless it has recently appeared on some Pink Floyd deluxe CD or comp, to my knowledge this has been the only CD appearance I've known of for the 1980 hit 45 version of this song.)

I have that CD3, too. I think it has been issued on an import or two, but as far as I can tell, this CD single is its only domestic appearance on CD.

I think my proudest to own of the domestic CD3s is Michael Jackson's "Way You Make Me Feel," as I believe it's the only CD appearance, worldwide, of the 7-inch Instrumental for the song.

I have about 30 or 40 CD3s myself, probably half of them domestic. I'll see if I can add them to the list here soon. But I'm super-busy with this project for my aunt that I mentioned, so it might have to wait a couple weeks.

There are a couple I've owned and somehow lost over the years, too. Chicago's "Look Away" and Steve Winwood's "Roll With It" are two. I fact, I still have the sleeve for "Roll With It" -- no idea whatever happened to the disc, but it's been missing since the early '90s.

Edited by Brian W. on 30 November 2008 at 8:33pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Was the single version Pink Floyd's "...Wall" not also included on the "Collection of Dance Songs" LP, which I would assume the CBS/Sony released on CD, no?

Now were there not two single versions of this sent to radio? Both had the four-measure intro, but one version faded the guitar solo starting at about 3:02. Was this a promo single?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i have quite a few 3" cd singles, but most of them are imports......i will list mine below, artist, song, version, country and label and catalog number and amend them as i find more.

brown, bobby "don't be cruel" 1-rapacious edit 2-rapacious mix 3-extended version (uk mca dmca 1310)

brown, bobby "rock wit'cha" 1-7" version, 2-seventeen, 3-extended version (ger mca 257 410-2

brown, bobby "every little step" 1-no description, 2-extended version, 3-with rap (ger mca 257 562-2 dmcat 1338)

brown, bobby "roni" 1-extended version, 2-pebbarone mix, 3-7" version (ger mca 257 576-2)

brown, bobby "on our own" 1-7" version, 2-instrumental, 3-extendeed club version (ger mca 257 504-2)

duran duran "all she wants is" 1-45 mix, 2-skin trade (parisian mix), 3-i believe/all i need to know (uk emi 20 3165 2)

fox, samantha "naughty girls (need love too)" 1-remix edit, 2-full force naughty house mix (jap jive 10sr-10)

sweet sensation (with romeo) "sincerely yours" 1-no description, 2-spanish version (jap atco 09p3-6137)

sweet sensation, new york's, "each and every time" 1-no description, 2-heartbreak (jap atco amdy -5033)

anthology123
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote anthology123

I have both that 3"CD and the original 45 with picture sleeve. The CD is the
same as the original commercial 45. I consider that CD3 one of the greatest
finds I ever had, too. I've looked everywhere else and have yet to find a CD
comp that has this version of the song, which fades at the guitar solo.
Back to Top View anthology123's Profile Search for other posts by anthology123

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

anthology123 wrote:
I have both that 3"CD and the original 45 with picture sleeve. The CD is the
same as the original commercial 45. I consider that CD3 one of the greatest
finds I ever had, too. I've looked everywhere else and have yet to find a CD
comp that has this version of the song, which fades at the guitar solo.

So are you saying that your 45 and CD3 (oooh I remembered the retronym...lol) have the same fade off on the guitar solo at 3:02, or do they fade on the part that says ...."you can't have pudding if you don't eat your meat....?" I know the phone tones and final kiddy screams are not on it.

I really think that the "Collection of Dance Songs" CD would have it too, no? It's on my LP.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

ChicagoBill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2021 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote ChicagoBill

Bumping up. Back in 1994 when I closed up my record store, I had 50-60 of these CD3's I just threw in a box and moved out here and buried
in a closet. Now my wife says, 'When are you going to put these on E-bay and make a little cash'. Now, after reading 'Yah Shure's'
comment about the Eddie Cochran - 'Summertime Blues' being his go-to for the single version, I wonder what other CD3's should I NOT
purge? I remember the Raspberries topic a few years ago and I rescued that one, but is there anything else I should save? All of mine are
in the 'Oldies' subject not the current hits of 1988-1994. I also noticed that jimct's list does not contain any 'Mini Album CD3 Vintage
Oldies' that came out on MCA and Motown. I assume his station was not serviced with the MCA product. So does anyone have any favorite
CD3's that they think I should keep? -Bill.
Back to Top View ChicagoBill's Profile Search for other posts by ChicagoBill

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2021 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

ChicagoBill wrote:
So does anyone have any favorite CD3's that they think I should keep? -Bill.

Well, the US CD3 for Michael Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel" is the only place that the 7-inch Instrumental has ever been issued in digital format. It wasn't even on the promo CD single.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2021 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

When they have exclusive tracks, it makes them worth keeping, but that's also what makes them worth a lot of money.

AFAIK the B-sides on these two from the OP's list are not available on any other CD:

Depeche Mode-Strangelove (Remix/Edit)/Nothing (Remix/Edit) (Sire 27777-2)
Wham!-Careless Whisper/(Instrumental) (Columbia 13K 68662)

Edited by mjb50 on 22 December 2021 at 7:37am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2021 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I also have a few of these CD3 discs, (As he goes to find the magnifying glass...)

One of these I keep on a little display shelf. It's a picture cover of Culture Beat ft. Lana E and Jay Supreme, "I Like You." It has three mixes
London Mix 6:53, an untitled mix 3:58 and Smoking Mix 6:56. It says at the top "CBS Dance Pool" and carries the numbers CBS 656025 3.

I also have a 5" CD single of this song on the shelf. I don't think I have any of the original sleeve or artwork. I don't remember which mix I
needed back in the day. I'm thinking it was only available on this CD3 at the time.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version