Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ? About Two Other 45/LP Differences Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 October 2005 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Pat's database mentions that for the Kinks' "Don't Forget To Dance" that some pressings of Come Dancing With The Kinks used the single version while others use the LP version. Since the single runs 4:36 and the LP version runs 4:38, unless there's a subtle 2 second edit the difference most likely isn't in the editing. Anyone know the difference?

Also, what's the difference between the 45 and LP versions of Heart's "Dreamboat Annie?"

I'll probably have more questions as I continue to rummage through. Hope nobody minds. :)

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the kinks song "don't forget to dance" issued on 45 in 1983 on arista 9075 is exactly the same version from "come dancing with the kinks:the best of the kinks 1977-1986" and runs 4:38.......the 45's label states the run time as 4:15 which in wrong.....

as far as "dreamboat annie" is concerned it didn't make the billboard top 40 and i have no info on it.....

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi!

Thanks to some help some help from EdisonLite, I can take the "Dreamboat Annie" question. The 45 version uses the (2:04) uptempo album version, but the 45 runs (2:58). The reason for this is they took the acoustic guitar intro from "Crazy On You" and made it the intro for Dreamboat Annie, except on the 45, it has several notes on the very beginning that do not appear on the album. The end/fade also runs about 10 seconds longer than the LP version.
As for the reason they did this highly unusual thing, who knows? Maybe the label was called 'Mushroom' for a reason. . .
-Mark M
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

My dj 45 states a running time of (4:15) and really runs (4:37) but when I compare it to the version on "State Of Confusion" which is the original vinyl LP on which this song appeared, I find that the instrumental introduction on the 45 is :06 shorter than on the cd "State Of Confusion" hence the differentiation of a 45 and LP version. Now to add to the "confusion", "Don't Forget To Dance" has appeared on the "Come Dancing With The Kinks" cd in both the 45 version and the LP version depending on which pressing of this cd you own.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Moderator wrote:
My dj 45 states a running time of (4:15) and really runs (4:37) but when I compare it to the version on "State Of Confusion" which is the original vinyl LP on which this song appeared, I find that the instrumental introduction on the 45 is :06 shorter than on the cd "State Of Confusion" hence the differentiation of a 45 and LP version. Now to add to the "confusion", "Don't Forget To Dance" has appeared on the "Come Dancing With The Kinks" cd in both the 45 version and the LP version depending on which pressing of this cd you own.

Granted, I downloaded "Don't Forget To Dance" off of iTunes instead of getting the source album State of Confusion CD, and it runs 4:39. Since the 45 and LP are of similar lengths (4:37 vs 4:39), I would think there must be some sort of compensation elsewhere in the song to make up for the six second difference in the intro. Or am I missing something?

Doug

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 October 2005 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The 45 runs faster than the LP version.

Edited by Moderator on 14 October 2005 at 9:48pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2005 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Moderator wrote:
The 45 runs faster than the LP version.

Seems like it should be the other way around. If six seconds of the intro of the 45 was edited and the 45 runs faster, then the 45 time should be around 4:31. Since the 45 and LP are two seconds different in length, I wonder if it might be the LP version that actually runs faster.

As an aside, which part of the intro is edited (I would guess it's one of the opening guitar solos before the drums and bass kick in--maybe the second one)?

Doug

Edited by sriv94 on 15 October 2005 at 8:41am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 October 2005 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The 45 runs faster than the LP and there are several additional edits starting at 4:08 into the LP version.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2005 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Weird. Making an edit at the top and taking out the instrumental portion at 4:08 of the LP version gives me a running time anywhere from 4:16-4:21 depending on how much I speed up or slow down the pitch (and that 4:16 coincides with the length quoted on the 45, even though it doesn't run that short).

Unless I'm doing something wrong. Happened before.

Doug

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Bumping this up for John. Ah, those were the days. . .

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks, Doug...

Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Revisiting the "Dreamboat Annie" 45 question:

MMathews wrote:
They took the acoustic guitar intro from "Crazy On You" and made it the intro for Dreamboat Annie, except on the 45, it has several notes on the very beginning that do not appear on the album. The end/fade also runs about 10 seconds longer than the LP version. As for the reason they did this highly unusual thing, who knows?

My guess is that it added substance to a track that would have come up a little too short on its own as a single. Keep in mind that top-40 radio didn't get the acoustic guitar intro on the various promo 45 versions of "Crazy On You," so borrowing it for the reworked "Dreamboat Annie" Mushroom 7023 single made sense. It also gave the boss jocks a little extra time to do a PSA, a couple of dedications, the forecast and those, um, other things that made them so boss.

The longer redo also made the track more appealling to AOR. Mushroom issued a 12-inch 33 1/3 promo single of "Dreamboat Annie," with a photo from the LP cover of the Wilsons on the label. The 2:59 version in stereo was backed with a 2:10 slightly extended mono mix of the album version. The disc came in a poly-lined paper inner sleeve stuffed into a die-cut, customized jacket.

How silly did it look to have a 2:10 cut occuping an entire 12-inch side? There was a LOT of unplowed field left on this farm. It took 21 seconds for the stylus to trace the path of the lead-out groove from the end of the cut to the "ka-chunk" of the inner groove.

(I originally posted the scans below of the stock 45 and the 12-inch promo over on xmfan.com when the 45 version came up for discussion during the course of XM's "IT" marathon last November.)

Edited by Yah Shure on 22 February 2008 at 8:16pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

OK, I'll bite. What's an "IT" marathon?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
OK, I'll bite. What's an "IT" marathon?

XM's IT is an annual playback of every top 40 hit, from the 1930s to the present. Each of their decades channels plays their hits in chronological order. The '40s channel plays 1930-49, then hands IT off to the '50s channel. Each successive decades channel follow suit for their portion. IT runs 24/7 for a little over a month. Getting enough sleep becomes a real problem.

The last IT was upgraded and expanded to include most top 50 hits during the '60s and '70s portions. The '30s-'70s portion producers also made a big effort to include correct 45 versions, although there were a few bad apples that slipped through (they have the Nuggets boxed set, yet continue to air an inferior re-recording of "A Question Of Temperature.") The '30s through '70s portion was extremely well done; the '80s and beyond much less so.

The 94-page xmfan 2007 IT discussion (including label scans from yours truly) is here:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=85737&sid=6aa0daf30dab3 8ebb0d820146b6c5cd0
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version