Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: bad english "when i see you smile" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 October 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

both my commercial 45 and commercial cassingle are issued with the same label & catalog number epic 69082...both do not indicate a version, but the 45 states the run time as 4:16 and both indeed run that length and are identical to all the entries in the db....the 45 was NEVER issued with a picture sleeve

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

edtop40 wrote:
the 45 was NEVER issued with a picture sleeve

CBS/Sony basically stopped making picture sleeves in the U.S. around December 1988. They were the first major label to abandon picture sleeves, which had been very common on hit singles over the previous several years. While they continued to release virtually all singles as 45s throughout 1989, almost none of them were available with picture sleeves. Thus, as a general rule, any hit single from 1989 on a CBS label did not come with a picture sleeve in its 45 form. There may have been a few stragglers in the early part of the year that were actually released prior to December 1988. Also, Lisa Lisa's "Little Jackie Wants To Be A Star" was for some reason given a picture sleeve even though it was released well after December 1988 (it was released sometime around March 1989).

Another way of looking at this is by catalog number. At approximately the beginning of 1989, CBS changed the first digit of its 45 catalog numbers from a "0" to a "6". This happened shortly after they stopped making picture sleeves. While CBS singles with "6" catalog numbers generally exist as 45s, almost none exist with a picture sleeve. I am only aware of two exceptions, both of which were released in the first few months of 1989. One is the aforementioned Lisa Lisa 45. The other is "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" by country singer Roseanne Cash. I have no idea why these two 45s were given picture sleeves, at a time when nothing else coming out on a CBS label got one.

As a side note, even though CBS/Sony stopped making picture sleeves in the U.S. around 1988, Canadian chat board member torcan has stated that they continued making picture sleeves in Canada until sometime in 1990.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

FYI, if you can get a copy of the original Bad English CD, I would STRONGLY recommend you do so... the version of "When I See You Smile" on this CD is cleaner, crisper, and more dynamic (MUCH more dynamic) on the Bad English self-titled CD than on any collection I have... better than Billboard Top Hits 1989, better than 80s Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 5 - From The Heart, better than any file I've come across.

Looking at the scope, I see a "whistle" between 15,500 & 15,800 Hz (as I mentioned in a previous post seeing on a "Wham!" CD), but it is completely inaudible, and again the fidelity on this recording is so much better than any other copy, it's irrelevant and only a visual anomaly. If you scan the frequency response of the song, the whistle is completely buried in the audio.

The level on the CD is perfect as well on this song, coming up to 99.99%, and the noise floor at the beginning and end of the file is down to almost -70db... far below the noise cutoff point for my radio station software. This may be the first song I've ever been able to put into rotation without doing a single thing to it, just rip and go!

(The DC offset of the file is .001% for both channels; I'd do more damage than good trying to fix that.)

EK 45083 "Bad English" (Epic Compact Disc) (P)1989; highly recommended!!! I purchased my copy at a Salvation Army Family Thrift Store for 50 cents last week. :-D

Edited by NightAire on 26 May 2012 at 8:16pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version