Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Old Skool Rap comps Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 October 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Does anyone know of any good compilations with old school rap songs on it? I'm looking for artists like "tribe called quest," "jungle brothers," "KRS one," and anything else from the late 80s. I would prefer to find one with the 45 or single versions so they are clean and edited.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 October 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Chendagam, our good friend on the Board, Aaron K, might just be the world's leading expert on "old school rap" single versions; it's his #1 all-time favorite genre of music, so you may just wanna PM him with your questions, if he doesn't respond sometime soon, because he will definitely be able to help you out here.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 October 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jim is correct that I've spent a considerable amount of time tracking down old school hip-hop tracks in their original, radio-edited versions. Sadly, there were many that I had to spend loads of money on the original promo CD singles, because the clean versions were not available elsewhere.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend K-Tel, but that particular label put out a bunch of compilations in the late 80s and early 90s, and they were pretty good about supplying the original radio edits (with a few exceptions). Most of K-Tel's comps are out of print but can still be found very cheap. Some of Rhino's old school hip-hop compilations use clean versions, while others do not. Avoid all volumes of the "Tommy Boy Presents Hip Hop Essentials" series. They all suck due to unofficial edits and poor vinyl transfers.

If you can list some specifics that you are looking for, I'd be happy to share where I found them. I've tracked down just about every top 10 rap single (from Billboard's Hot Rap Singles chart) from 1988 to 2000.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 October 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

Thanks for the info Aaron...I'll begin my search :) I'm mainly interested in that really good era from 1987-1991...particularly 88-89.
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 October 2008 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Sure thing. You might want to check out this compilation, for example:

Boom Box Flava
Universal 83567
     Black Sheep - Strobelite Honey (Street Mix)
     EPMD - Gold Digger (E And P's Remix)           
     Eric B. & Rakim - Follow The Leader (7" Edit)     
     Father MC - Treat Them Like They Want To Be Treated     
     Heavy D & The Boyz - We Got Our Own Thang     
     Kurtis Blow - If I Ruled The World
     MC Brains - Oochie Coochie (7" Version)     
     Onyx - Slam
     Slick Rick - Children's Story
     Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker (Radio Mix)

Most of this album has what we would call the "45 version," although I don't use that term when talking about hip-hop hits. Many hip-hop tracks didn't have vinyl 45s, and even several of the cassette singles used the dirty versions. On the above mentioned CD, only "Strobelite Honey" would be a non-45 version; however, that particular mix was included on the original promo CD single.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version