Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tony Orlando & Dawn Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 October 2005 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Here's an interesting new find that no one's caught before. On the new Tony Orlando & Dawn CD "New Ragtime Follies", there is a bonus cut labeled "Steppin' Out (Gonna Boogie Tonight)" - single mix.

(The CD also contains the album mix.) I did notice the differences right away (without even A-B'ing the two). I then compared my old 45 with this (and the album version), and I can confirm that the single and album mixes are different, and this CD does indeed contain the true single version.

I had no idea there were 2 mixes of this song. Originally, I only had the 45. Then I bought the "Greatest Hits" LP in the late '70s (presumably with the album mix), but back then I wouldn't have noticed the subtle differences. The single mix has more pronounced strings in every chorus, extra female background vocals on the latter choruses, and also the final chorus is quite different including the lead vocals!

I'm surprised the folks at Rhino didn't catch this for their TO&D "Greatest Hits" CD from the '90s. Their policy in a case like this would be to use the single mix, but obviously they didn't.

Also, Pat, you can cross one more '70s song off your list. "You're All I Need to Get By" is now on CD - on the "To Be With You" CD. (How many '70s songs are left on the list of songs never on CD?)

The first 4 TO&D CDs are on Sony/BMG and the last two are on Elektra/Rhino. (All 6 are available as a box set.) Though you'd think from the titles that these 6 CDs only contain 6 of their 8 albums, even the 2 "missing" albums ("Skybird" and "Dawn Featuring Tony Orlando") are fully represented here -- all the songs are included as bonus cuts, scattered about on 4 of the CDs.

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 October 2005 at 5:35pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 October 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

If you wish to know how many songs are still not available in the US on compact disc from the decade of the 70's, go to the search engine for Top 40 Music On Compact Disc and click "no" for the "On CD" header and then type in 1970 and 1979 in the year header and you will get your answer.

Edited by Moderator on 13 October 2005 at 7:05pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version