Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Gladys Knight-Every Beat Of My Heart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Robert

This might have been covered somewhere already, but my Fury 45 version of this song (#1050)is nothing like any of the Fury versions listed in the database. This makes me wonder if the Fury versions that are available, including the stereo versions, are actually alternate versions. Does anybody know anything about this?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Since there's been no change in the DB and no replies to this, I'm guessing it got lost. And since I just came across it again, I thought I'd see if there's anyone who can shed some light on this.

The DB appearances of this song do not appear to be the actual 45 version. At least as it appears on the CDs listed below.

The most noticeable difference is at :40, at the line, "In all my conversation..." At :47, the word "conversation" trails off on the CD version and does not trail off on the 45. There are probably other differences as well. There are certainly speed differences. The CD's that I have checked so far are:

Relic: Raging Harlem
Arista: Echoes/16 Doo Wop Classics
Collectables: History of Rock Vol 2
Rebound: Soul Classics/Quiet Storm-60's

The Fury 45 is #1050 (Deadwax: F2000, what looks like E5 and the script "Bell Sound"). Also the flip is numbered "F1999," so I'm wondering if it's the B-side or a re-release. It was released in May 1961. Anybody? Anybody at all?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

Does someone have the Fire/Fury Records Story here? That for me was the best CD version. My copy got lifted ages ago! And a note added here! The Fury version is a re-recording. The original performance was recorded for Huntom Records in Atlanta and Vee-Jay picked it up for national release.

Edited by KentT on 06 July 2010 at 8:29pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 August 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Robert, I finally got a hold of Every Beat Of My Heart on the Fury label #1050 and I checked against one mono and one stereo cd that is listed as the "Fury version" in the database and sure enough, the cd version was an alternate take on both so I am going to have to go through every entry in the database to see if there is really a correct take and that is going to take a lot of time to verify so be patient but it certainly looks like you are correct!
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Since there's been lots of discussion regarding Gladys Knight & the Pips' Top 40 singles on the message board lately, I thought I'd bring up that the opening note of the Pips' "Every Beat of My Heart" is truncated on the Essentials Collection CD (Hip-O 314545029).

On a side note, it's unfortunate that a good sounding audio transfer of the Vee-Jay hit version doesn't appear to exist. All CD sources I've heard of this song are very hissy and contain an audible tape splice in the intro.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2013 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote KentT

Pat, I suspect the master take of the Fury version was
damaged or missing and an alternate take used later on.
Would not be surprised if that is the case.

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Would anyone have a dub of the Fury 45. I'm having a discussion with
someone on this track and since I have only the stereo Fury version, I need the
45 too. thanks.

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2021 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

I was listening to this song in the car the other day and just had to look to be sure. The version I had up didn't credit Gladys Knight in the artist column.

With a little looking, I found it came from my Time-Life collection "Malt Shop Memories." I had to check the disc to be sure that I didn't make a typo,
but it is credited only to the Pips. I also looked on trusty 'ol Youtube, and found at least two 45 pressings on Vee-Jay also only credited as "The Pips." (1961)

I'm unfamiliar with the song, so I haven't done any listening comparisons, yet there were a couple entries listed including Gladys Knight. Was this some
kind of later edition of the song, or was it another song altogether that included Gladys Knight?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version