Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Moody Blues - The Story In Your Eyes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 September 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

In the database for The Best Of The Moody Blues Polydor 314535800, The Story In Yor Eyes is listed as timing out at 2:51. My cd times out at 3:03, so is this a mistake or is my cd unusual? P.S. I'm new here so I hope this is an acceptable question.
Back to Top View boynamedfoo's Profile Search for other posts by boynamedfoo

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 September 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I can't answer your question, but it's perfectly acceptable. In fact, in all my years on the board, the only "unacceptable" posts have been from spammers trying to sell home mortgages.

Welcome to the forum!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just double checked my timing of "The Story In Your Eyes" and again I come up with (2:51). The matrix number is 314 535 800-2 010 F. It is entirely possible that this cd has been remastered over the years such that there are two different lengths of this song appearing on the same cd title.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

I also double checked my matrix as 31453 5800-2, so I guess there are multiple versions. Mine lists digitally remastered in the clear side-bar. Well I'm happy with my timing & thanks for looking.
Back to Top View boynamedfoo's Profile Search for other posts by boynamedfoo

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2020 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just compiling my notes for 1971's "The Story In Your Eyes".

45 version (3:03)

The 45 has a clean intro.

I have the 45 version on Greatest Hits Legend Of A Band (1989). There are digital clones on:
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 19 The Early '70s Take Two (1995) - digitally exactly same level as GH with added dithering noise
  • Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s Vol. 2 (2002) - added compression/limiting; avoid if possible
All the versions running 3:03 will be the 45 version.

LP version (2:56)

The LP version here is for the 1971 album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

On the LP version, the previous selection tracks over the intro. It's not all that noticeable unless you do a side-by-side comparison with the 45 version. It's very tastefully done, and doesn't really detract from the listening experience.

The fade starts in the same place as the 45, but is about 10 seconds shorter.

I have the LP version on Sessions' 2-CD Freedom Rock (1987). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 24 FM Rock (1992)
All the versions running 2:55 or 2:56 will be the LP version.

1974 This Is The Moody Blues album version (2:44)

The This Is The Moody Blues album is a truly outstanding greatest hits collection, with custom segues that blend the songs together. It's a great listen, but not if you're looking for clean versions of the intros/outros of the songs.

The previous selection tracks over the intro. The fade starts before well before the 45 or LP, and doesn't fully fade out before the next selection.

All the versions running 2:44 or 2:45 will be the This Is The Moody Blues album version.

My recommendation

If you're looking for just "The Story In Your Eyes" in isolation, without the context of listening to it in a full Moody Blues album, go with Greatest Hits Legend Of A Band (1989).

whyaduck
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2020 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote whyaduck

crapfromthepast wrote:
Just compiling my notes for 1971's "The Story In Your Eyes".

45 version (3:03)

The 45 has a clean intro.

I have the 45 version on Greatest Hits Legend Of A Band (1989). There are digital clones on:
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 19 The Early '70s Take Two (1995) - digitally exactly same level as GH with added dithering noise
  • Realm's 3-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s Vol. 2 (2002) - added compression/limiting; avoid if possible
All the versions running 3:03 will be the 45 version.

LP version (2:56)

The LP version here is for the 1971 album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

On the LP version, the previous selection tracks over the intro. It's not all that noticeable unless you do a side-by-side comparison with the 45 version. It's very tastefully done, and doesn't really detract from the listening experience.

The fade starts in the same place as the 45, but is about 10 seconds shorter.

I have the LP version on Sessions' 2-CD Freedom Rock (1987). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 24 FM Rock (1992)
All the versions running 2:55 or 2:56 will be the LP version.

1974 This Is The Moody Blues album version (2:44)

The This Is The Moody Blues album is a truly outstanding greatest hits collection, with custom segues that blend the songs together. It's a great listen, but not if you're looking for clean versions of the intros/outros of the songs.

The previous selection tracks over the intro. The fade starts before well before the 45 or LP, and doesn't fully fade out before the next selection.

All the versions running 2:44 or 2:45 will be the This Is The Moody Blues album version.

My recommendation

If you're looking for just "The Story In Your Eyes" in isolation, without the context of listening to it in a full Moody Blues album, go with Greatest Hits Legend Of A Band (1989).

there are few things as nice on the interwebs as a post by crapfromthepast
Back to Top View whyaduck's Profile Search for other posts by whyaduck

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2020 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks, whyaduck! Glad you find them helpful.

(Big Marx Brothers fan myself. Whyanochicken?)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version