Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Kris Kross - "Jump" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 September 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have what's denoted as "Radio Edit" on Top Hits USA RH12, with the same version on a TM Century disc.

The "Radio Edit" starts with about 0.4 seconds of a song that sounds a lot like Another Bad Creation or Bell Biv Devoe, then a needle sliding across a record for about 1.2 seconds, then the song starts right into the chorus.

I think the British single may be the same mix, but starting with the record scratch. I have this version on two UK CDs - Now 1992 (1993) and Greatest Hits Of Dance (Telstar 3-CD set, 1992).

I have yet another version that omits both the ABC/BBD sample and the record scratch, and launches right into the chorus. It's on Spotlight On Hits Vol. 5.

Since all of these are promo or foreign CDs, can anyone enlighten me as to how the commercial single and LP versions start? And what the differences are between them? All of mine sound the same to my ears.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 September 2008 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The commercial CD single doesn't have either the LP or Radio Edit versions. The lead track is the "Extended Dance Mix." The LP version starts at the same point as if you were to cue past the record scratch on the "Radio Edit." I've never done a direct comparison between the two, but they sound about the same other than the intros.

On the full length album Totally Krossed Out, the ABC sample of "The Playground" and the record scratch sound effect, I believe, appear at the beginning of the bonus remix (last track).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
The commercial CD single doesn't have either the LP or Radio Edit versions. The lead track is the "Extended Dance Mix." The LP version starts at the same point as if you were to cue past the record scratch on the "Radio Edit." I've never done a direct comparison between the two, but they sound about the same other than the intros.

I'm 99.9% sure there was no US commercial CD single, if that's what you're referring to. I think there may have been a "Platinum Hits" reissue CD single in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian, there definitely is both a commercial and promo CD single for "Jump," as I own both. The label/catalog number for the commercial single is Ruffhouse/Columbia 74193. You are right that there was also a Platinum Hits reissue CD single, but I do not own it.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
The label/catalog number for the commercial single is Ruffhouse/Columbia 74193.

Correct. (The prefix being "44K".) At the time the song was a hit in the spring of '92, I opted for the cassette maxi-single (still have it to this day), although I remember seeing the CD single as well. And FWIW, there was also a commercial CD single issued for their follow-up, "Warm it Up" (Ruffhouse/Columbia 44K 74377), and in '93, for "I'm Real" (Ruffhouse/Columbia 44K 77237)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Brian, there definitely is both a commercial and promo CD single for "Jump," as I own both. The label/catalog number for the commercial single is Ruffhouse/Columbia 74193.

I'll be damned, you're right. It must have sold out very quickly, because I don't recall ever seeing one, and I was actively collecting CD singles at the time. I bought the import at the time, which does have the radio edit.

Edited by Brian W. on 11 September 2008 at 11:40am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

What version of "Jump" is on the Pop Hits of the 1990's 3 disc set from Sony?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 September 2008 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Jump was discussed in another thread way back when. My cassette single of this song is called the radio edit but does not include the brief Another Bad Creation sample and starts with the record scratching effect. Posters on the old thread thought there were two different versions of this 45 (or cassette single as the case may be), one with the ABC sample and another without. Does anyone have the single (not cd single)that does include the ABC sample?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version