Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Essential Dion Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2005 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Okay, I'm ticked. I ordered The Essential Dion from the BMG record club, only to find that when it arrived that it was "protected" and would only play on my computer, and only with the player included on the disc. It's supposed to play on regular equipment, but neither of my home CD players recognize it.

Not only that, but I bought it to help me with my personal year-by-year collections, and I can't seem to find any way to import the tracks into my Roxio system to put on a different compilation.

Anyone else angry about this, or is it just me?

Edited by JMD1961 on 04 October 2005 at 2:58am
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2005 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hmm, I have "Essential Dion," and it played on my car CD player fine. Haven't tried to rip anything from it yet, though.

I've noticed a couple import CDs I've seen lately that are copy protected. I would assume you could copy it analog... do you have analog input jacks on your PC, or have a standalone CD recorder?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Ooh, I see what you mean about the computer, though. It makes you install software on your computer before it'll let you play it! I won't do that, but the back of the box does say "limited copying" with Windows Media. Still, I'm not putting their software on my computer!

The good news (for me, anyway) is that I can copy it digitally on my Phillips stand-alone CD recorder, then load the copy onto the PC with no problem.

However, it will play on all my CD players, so I don't know exactly what's causing it to not play on yours.

Edited by Brian W. on 04 October 2005 at 2:17pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 October 2005 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I had the same problem trying to load the latest Foo Fighters CD onto my iPod. It would only allow me to copy tracks to my computer thru their software, and the files were already encoded in Window's Media format, which is the worst sounding audio file type out there. Even Real Audio sounds better than the crappy WMA compression!

To say the least, I was completely ticked off about this; however, I did find a way around it. Essentially, you have to do what Brian is talking about. I had to play the CD back on my home CD player, which was connected to the input jack of my sound card. I then recorded all of the songs in real time into my audio software. It's a pain, but at least I had the audio files in an uncompressed (lossless) format.

Unfortunately, the jerk-offs in the record industry are supposed to put this crappy "copy protection" on every future CD release. In the next couple years, I hear that no CDs will be sold without the copy protection. I'm not sure if that's a rumor or not, but if it's true, there's going to be a lot of pissed off consumers.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Since my earlier post, I have managed to get the CD to play on my Philips "boom box", but still not on my other player. It does play in my car, as well. There's a slight flaw in the center hole of the CD, so maybe that's causing the read issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not set-up at this time to record analog style. So, for now, the collection is useless for what I got it for.

On another note, my anger isn't just that this CD is protected. After all, the label (front and back) is clearly marked to that fact. However, I didn't buy this CD in a store, where I would have seen that information. I got it through BMG, where nothing about "minimum requirements" was mentioned at all. If I had known there would be an issue with my computer, I wouldn't have ordered it, and instead, just bought the tracks I needed for my compilations on iTunes.
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version