Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Daniel" - Elton John (unedited version?) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

There are a couple of CDs in the 10th edition where you make the following comment regarding "Daniel" by Elton John:

(unedited version which very closely resembles the U.S. 45 and LP version).

I wasn't aware there was a non-U.S. version of "Daniel", let alone an unedited one. I'm also puzzled as to how this so-called unedited version could run 3:50 when the regular U.S. version runs 3:52. Could you elaborate a little bit on this, please? Thanks.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 September 2005 at 9:39pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

"Daniel" was digitally remixed by its original producer Gus Dudgeon in the early '80s for the very first Elton John CD, a British disc called "The Superior Sound of Elton John."

Apparently, in the full-length take of the song, the ORIGINAL first chorus performance was was deemed inferior (which it was). So the second (lyrically identical) chorus was simply dubbed in in its place at the time of its original release. So the first and second choruses on the hit version of "Daniel" are in fact the same performance.

Dudgeon either forgot this when he did the early '80s remix, or chose to leave it as recorded, so on this digital remix the first chorus is a different take than the classic we're used to.

Anyway, the remix has found its way onto a couple of other CDs, including the two mentioned in the book and the first pressing of DCC's "Elton John Greatest Hits," before Steve Hoffman came to his senses and substituted the hit version.

I have not heard the two discs mentioned in the book... but I assume they are the early '80s remix as well, and not the original unedited mix, Pat??? They're very close, but the dynamic range is wider on the remix.

Edited by Brian W. on 30 September 2005 at 1:34am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks very much for clearing this up, Brian. Assuming the original vocal performance is the one appearing on the two CDs mentioned in the 10th edition, I'm wondering if there would be less confusion if the accompanying comment was slightly restated this way:

(original version which very closely resembles the 45 and LP version)

Then again, maybe I'm the only one confused to begin with!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I think "previously unreleased version" might be the way to go.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just summarizing what we know for this song:

DCC Compact Classics' Rock Of The '70s Vol. 4 and Sandstone's Reelin' In The Years Vol. 4 both use the remix that Gus Dudgeon did for the W. German CD The Superior Sound Of Elton John (1970-1975) (DJM CD 4; 810 062-2). All three are the same version.

That said, all three are a different mix from the hit version. The easiest way to tell is that the shakey sound is extremely prominent on the hit mix, and is way down in the mix in the remix.

In addition to the different mix throughout, the first chorus in the remix uses a different take than what's used in the hit version. The hit version repeats the second chorus to replace the first chorus; the remix uses the first chorus as recorded. The repeated portion begins with the "ohh-ohh-ohh" after the line "I miss him so much" in case you want to find the edit - it's pretty seamless.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, crap. By the way, Steve Hoffman states the reason for using the remix on initial pressings of the DCC disc in a thread on his website:

Steve Hoffman wrote:
The original mix of the song was damaged and the safety sounded like crap (we thought) so we used the 1983 remix for the first press of the CD. I couldn't stand it anymore after about three weeks listening to it so I added the original mix, wart and all. I did some tape tweeking in the bad spot and now one can barely hear anything wrong.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version