Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Street of Dreams" - Nia Peeples Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I recently acquired a cassette single copy of "Street of Dreams" by Nia Peeples. It contains the following track listing:

1) lp version (actual run time is 4:21, not 4:26 as stated on the sleeve)
2) edit (3:32)

According to my research, the one-track promo CD single on Charisma 063 contains the 3:32 edit version which is the version I recall hearing on Top 40 radio. Therefore, I'm not sure if it would be best to classify the 3:32 version as the "short 45 version" since it does appear on the commercial single, or a DJ edit. If it were up to me, I'd say both CD appearances of "Street of Dreams" listed in the 10th edition should probably include a comment to the effect of: (long 45 and LP version).
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Thanks for the input Todd. I just entered the timing information in my database and after reading it over I feel that if the reader ever comes across the 3:32 edit on cd (which it is not as of today) they will be able to make their own decision as to whether a short 45 version comment is realistic. To me personally since the lead track on the cassette was 4:21 then that was the official 45 version. There are probably many similar situations where the cassette single or cd single for that matter included multiple versions that were also played on the air but the version the record companies wanted as the lead track was their idea of the "45". version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I can see where you're coming from. There have been numerous CD and cassette singles, for instance, featuring an edited version of a song as the A-side/lead-off track followed by the album version as the B-side/backup track. If you were to issue comments differentiating the multiple versions appearing on all of these singles, it would likely become a complicated mess.

But by the same token, there have been cases like Paul McCartney's "No More Lonely Nights", Az Yet featuring Peter Cetera's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", and Le Click's "Call Me" where the "A-side" and "B-side" both received substantial Top 40 airplay (in the case of "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", the B-side was actually considered the "hit version"!). I guess I'm not quite sure where to draw the line as far as confining the hit version of a commercial single strictly to the A-side.

As for "Street of Dreams", if the 3:32 version were to surface on a domestic CD release, I'm now thinking it would probably be best to classify it as a DJ edit since this edit appears to have been issued on the promo DJ CD single.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 30 September 2005 at 10:30pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have the edit, labeled as just "Edit", on Top Hits USA RH11, released April 1992. It's got a printed time of 3:26 and an actual time of 3:23. I'm fairly certain that it came from the promo CD single, but it may be faded a little early - not sure.

The sound quality on the Top Hits version is pretty good, although the bottom half of the waveform on the right channel is clipped at -2 dB.

I tried to reproduce the edit from the LP version, and it doesn't work. Here are my partial instructions:

Remove the first 3.5 seconds of the LP version - it's everything before the opening downbeat.
Keep 0:03.5-2:17.2 of LP version.
Remove the 8 beats from 2:17.2-2:21.6.
Keep 2:21.6-2:45.0 of LP version.
Then give up...

The break going into the chorus at 2:40 on the "edit" doesn't exist on the LP version, unfortunately.

I didn't compare the vocal ad libs at the end between the two versions.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version