Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Buckinghams - Susan (2:17 DJ promo) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Can anyone help me track down a 2:17 DJ 45 for this one? I ordered the 2:48 promo, and alas as Yah Sure indicated, it cannot be edited to duplicate the 2:17 edit.

I have the Bartley stereo recreation, but as has been noted, it's not exact.

I've checked eBay, discogs.com, GEMM, Musicstack and 45s.com.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

John, my copy isn't quite as clean as I'd like, but I can get you a dub. In my opinion, the mono (2:17) remix sounds inferior to the mono (2:48) 45 mix. I played around with the drumbeat at the edit on the 2:48 45, and by adding enough reverb, it can approximate the same drumbeat on the DJ edit, although not duplicate it.

Does the 2:48 promo copy you ordered not also include the 2:17 edit? Perhaps only the reservice had the short/long configuration.

Edited by Yah Shure on 20 August 2008 at 6:38pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yah Sure...

Yes, the 2:48 promo I ordered is 2:48 on both sides and does not show reservice. Musta been a first pressing.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The following posts relating to the "Susan" 2:17 edit had appeared earlier on another thread:

------------------------------------------------------
Hykker     
Posted: 07 August 2008 at 5:23am

Quote Hykker
Fetta wrote:

While we are on the subject of Dick Bartley, I just wanted to address something. First off, I think that Dick Bartley has done an amazing job with all of CDs and he has brought to us many hard to find 45 versions. And it is my understanding that he is a "stickler" at finding these versions. But if that is the case, why are several of the tracks on his CDs, in fact, not the correct 45 versions. (i.e. "Woodstock", "Chapel of Love")

I hope this doesn't soound like a knock against Dick Bartley CD's. Like I said, I think they are great....but was just wondering why he would include these tracks on the CDs.

If it's the Matthew's Southern Comfort "Woodstock" you're referring to, he used the promo single edit of the song with the shortened intro and early fade.

Several of the "promo edits" he's used are pretty good stereo re-creations, but aren't exact. A couple that come to mind are "Susan" by the Buckinghams and "Are You Ready"-Pacific Gas & Electric.

That having been said, it's nice that someone has taken the time & effort to issue these, especially since the appeal is likely to be limited to collectors. Too bad they go out of print so fast.

-------------------------------------------------------

Pat Downey
Admin Group

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 5:33pm

Quote Pat Downey
What differences from the dj edit did you find in "Susan" and "Are You Ready" on the Dick Bartley cd's?

--------------------------------------------------------

Hykker

Posted: 07 August 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged      Quote Hykker

Pat Downey wrote:
What differences from the dj edit did you find in "Susan" and "Are You Ready" on the Dick Bartley cd's?

I'd have to go back & check "Are You Ready", but the edit in "Susan" was noticeably loose. Hard to describe, but edit point is ~1/2 second late. Nit-picky perhaps, but quite noticeable if you're familiar with the promo single.

Bill Cahill

Posted: 08 August 2008 at 5:27pm

Quote Bill Cahill
On the Dick Bartley CDs:

The "Susan" edit was an edit from the multitrack remixes done for the Legacy CDs, it has that doubling effect near the end that was only on the remix.

Mathews' Southern Comfort was an incorrectly edited for the intro. (It should be a late start, not an edit)

I thought Dick told me that the Pacific Gas and Electric came from a very clean DJ 45 as they didn't have the tape so I think that one is correct.

Dick was trying hard to put out rare stereo or different versions you couldn't find elsewhere, hence some of the stranger versions.

jimct

Posted: 16 August 2008 at 1:09pm

Quote jimct
Pat Downey wrote:
What differences from the dj edit did you find in "Susan" on the Dick Bartley cd's?

Pat, to me the most noticable difference between the DJ edit and the Bartley CD is that at the exact moment of the edit, which removed the "psychedelia", there is what sounds to me to be a drumstick loudly banging a piece of aluminum foil, as a transitional element, which is unique to the 45. As has been indicated earlier, Bartley simply edited the stereo CD version, which is close, but does not include this unique musical element.

Yah Shure

Posted: 17 August 2008 at 8:14pm

Quote Yah Shure

I just did an A/B comparison between the long (2:48) and edited (2:17) sides of the mono "Susan" DJ 45, and there is a discernable difference in the mixes between the two. It is especially noticeable in the run-up just before the stopping point for the psychedelia. The drumming is crisp and prominent on the (2:48) side, but is quite buried in the mix on the (2:17) side. There is more of a "wall of sound" feel to the (2:17) mix; it's harder to pick out the drumming and the bass.

Because of the mix differences, editing the (2:48) side does not produce the same result as the (2:17) edit. The drum beat at the "love-love-love-love" edit point is quieter and wetter on the (2:17) edit, giving it that "aluminum foil" sound that Jim mentioned. The same drum beat on the (2:48) side sounds more like a normal drum beat. The (2:48) side of the DJ 45 uses the same mix as the commercial 45.

And even the edit on the vinyl (2:17) DJ 45 is a tad late. Tightening it up to match the beat produces a less-jarring edit.

------------------------------------------------------

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Awesome scan as usual, Yah Shure!

One name on the label stands out - James William Guercio...didn't he later work with Chicago, or did he work for Columbia?

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eriejwg wrote:
Yah Sure...

Yes, the 2:48 promo I ordered is 2:48 on both sides and does not show reservice. Musta been a first pressing.

Well, there must have been at least 4 versions of the promo 45.

I have 2 promos of this: one that's just a white-label version of the stock copy with the 2:48 verson on one side & "Foreign Policy" on the other/
The other has the 2:17 on one side and the 2:48 on the other.

Then there's your 2:48/2:48 copy and Yah Shure's 2:17/2:17 "rush reservice" version.

BTW, my 2:17 version is quite clean if you'd like a dub.

Edited by Hykker on 21 August 2008 at 5:50am
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I would love to hear the 2:17 promo version!

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

John: Yes and yes. Guercio was initially a Columbia staff producer, then managed and produced Chicago. Caribou Ranch was his Colorado studio.

Steve: My reservice copy is 2:17/2:48. Based on your added info, we now know that that configuration appears both with and without the reservice designation. Music directors must have been wondering what the heck was going on, just as with Chicago's "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is" multiple promo 45s a couple years later... and therein lies another James William Guercio connection!

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

Steve: My reservice copy is 2:17/2:48. Based on your added info, we now know that that configuration appears both with and without the reservice designation.

Looks like we're down to 3 configurations of promo copies. I double-checked my 2:17/2:48 and it too is the reservice designation.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

The short edit promo was made at the request of MOR and some Top 40 stations. They told Columbia that the freaky psychedelic part prevented them from playing the record at all.

Our Top 40 station, KRIZ/Phoenix, played the full single but MOR station KOY, as best I can struggle to remember, added the edit version to its playlist.

Sure wish I had kept the KRIZ promo copy.....

Gary
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 4:25am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I have a red label Columbia Hall Of Fame reissue with a label time of 2:48.. but it edits out the "train wreck", I believe it's the same as the DJ 45 but I don't have one to a/b it. I will time it anyway when I get a chance to see if it matches the DJ 45 length for sure. Probably easier to find than a DJ copy.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Gary Mack wrote:
The short edit promo was made at the request of MOR and some Top 40 stations. They told Columbia that the freaky psychedelic part prevented them from playing the record at all.

Our Top 40 station, KRIZ/Phoenix, played the full single but MOR station KOY, as best I can struggle to remember, added the edit version to its playlist.

"Susan" seems a bit rock-ish for an MOR station of that era.

I started my first p/t radio gig right around the time "Susan" was a hit. We played the long version as well, though I'm not sure the PD knew there was an edit. For some reason, he tended to avoid double-A side singles, I guess he considered every song a potential 2-sided hit, so if we got singles both ways he'd put the double-A in the giveaway bin.

Other than this station, I don't recall hearing the full version anywhere else...they either played the 2:17 edit or a custom edit.

Does anyone know the story behind the psychedelic bridge in this song? I read somewhere once that it was added without the band's knowledge in an attempt to make the song sound more trendy. If true, I'm wondering how the song would have sounded.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Based on Yah Shure's synopsis, it sounds like an inferior mix of "Susan" was used for the DJ 45 edit, which is too bad because it would've been nice if Columbia had opted to edit out the psychedelic passage on the punchier commercial 45 mix and instead serviced that to radio. Fortunately, we now have the ability and technology to create our own homemade 45 edits to cater to our preferences. But unfortunately in the case with "Susan", editing the stereo mix on CD doesn't quite produce the same result as the DJ 45.

Has a mono mix of "Susan" ever turned up on an import CD?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To best simulate the "sound" of the DJ 45 edit, fold down the original J.W. Guercio stereo mix found on "The Buckinghams Greatest Hits" CD. When the Vic Anesini remix is used to make the edit, it doesn't sound like the DJ 45.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
"Susan" seems a bit rock-ish for an MOR station of that era.

I can see your point. But how do you explain perhaps the biggest MOR eyebrow-raiser, whose highest Billboard placing (#6 !!) occurred on the Easy Listening/MOR chart: Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues"? Yet The Beatles' "Yesterday" didn't make that same chart in the same year. It obviously took E-Z/MOR radio a lot longer to cotton to those Moptops from Liverpool than to that folksinger from the Iron Range.

I heard both versions of "Susan" on the local rockers.

Steve was kind enough to send me his clean dub, and I was surprised to find that the strings interlude on the edit stills sounds more shrill than on the (2:48) side (I'd initially chalked that up to a worn stylus from the original owner of my copy.) The remix on the edit sounded fine on AM radio in its day, but not so much on anything since then. Andrew's suggestion of editing the Guercio mix from CD is perhaps the best compromise between sonic clarity and historical accuracy.

Bill, your description of the psychedelic part being a "train wreck" has given me an idea. If we were to take the psychedelic part from "Susan", the clock/baby/bullfight sound effects from "My World Fell Down", and the crash sequences from "Leader Of The Pack" and "Leader Of The Laundromat" and mix them all together, we'd have a "one-trainwreck-fits-all" collage that could be spliced into all four songs.

Or not. :)   

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Yah Shure wrote:
Bill, your description of the psychedelic part being a "train wreck" has given me an idea. If we were to take the psychedelic part from "Susan", the clock/baby/bullfight sound effects from "My World Fell Down", and the crash sequences from "Leader Of The Pack" and "Leader Of The Laundromat" and mix them all together, we'd have a "one-trainwreck-fits-all" collage that could be spliced into all four songs.

Or not. :)   

I love the idea. :)

As an aside, any post that mentions "My World Fell Down" is all right with me. What a great record.

Edited by sriv94 on 22 August 2008 at 10:13am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

sriv94 wrote:
I love the idea. :)

As an aside, any post that mentions "My World Fell Down" is all right with me. What a great record.

I was going to add the final crescendo from "A Day In The Life", but that would have been just a little too over-the-top. ;)

Gary Usher's words in Sundazed's liner notes from the Sagittarius Present Tense CD were along the line of Clive Davis thinking that Gary had gone bananas with the psychedelia in the middle of the "My World Fell Down" and "Hotel Indiscreet" 45s, and gave him all kinds of trouble about it. When the Present Tense LP finally came out in July 1968 - nearly a year after the "MWFD" 45 - the label insisted that he eliminate the sound effects. Consequently, I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility that Clive Davis could also have been involved in the decison to issue the "Susan" DJ edit.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Todd Ireland wrote:
Based on Yah Shure's synopsis, it sounds like an inferior mix of "Susan" was used for the DJ 45 edit, which is too bad because it would've been nice if Columbia had opted to edit out the psychedelic passage on the punchier commercial 45 mix and instead serviced that to radio. Fortunately, we now have the ability and technology to create our own homemade 45 edits to cater to our preferences. But unfortunately in the case with "Susan", editing the stereo mix on CD doesn't quite produce the same result as the DJ 45.

Something else I noticed while dubbing the song for John & Andrew is that it is VERY compressed, almost to the extent of a 21st century recording. I'm sure that contributes considerably to the sonic differences.

Edited by Hykker on 22 August 2008 at 10:58am

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

But how do you explain perhaps the biggest MOR eyebrow-raiser, whose highest Billboard placing (#6 !!) occurred on the Easy Listening/MOR chart: Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues"? Yet The Beatles' "Yesterday" didn't make that same chart in the same year. It obviously took E-Z/MOR radio a lot longer to cotton to those Moptops from Liverpool than to that folksinger from the Iron Range.

I can't explain it. I remember noticing that when I first got Whitburn's easy listening book.
It almost had to have been some sort of chart fluke.

TallPaulInKy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote TallPaulInKy

I know this is an old thread, but let me offer another
possibility not mentioned here. According to an
interview with some of the band members I read, The
original version of Susan was recorded and the group
thought they had a hit. They went out on the road, and
while touring heard the song on the radio and realized
the producer had inserted the train wreck
(psychedelic) portion to make it sound more hip. So
maybe the 2:17 is not a DJ edit as most fans assume.
Maybe it is the original (non hit version) single
before the insert....

e/Buckinghams-SusanDJedit.jpg">[/QUOTE]
Back to Top View TallPaulInKy's Profile Search for other posts by TallPaulInKy

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version