Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 September 2005 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The current hit "Feels Good Inc" by the Gorillaz is listed as being available only as a digital download by Billboard. I downloaded what is supposed to be the single version (3:40) which is nothing but the LP version without the audience noise that bleeds over the introduction on the LP version. Yet on the "Now 19" cd, there is an edit that runs 3:27 so is this edit a promo only edit or has anyone found another digital download source with this 3:27 edit which could conceivably be called the 45 version?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the (3:27) edit on my Promo Only series CDs. I'm guessing this was the version on the promo single. Also, there are two words that are reversed (censored) on the version I have. Perhaps the "single version" you are referring to, Pat, is the same length as the LP but censored?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Hmmm, yes it is the same length as the LP version but I didn't catch 2 words being reversed so where can I find those two words?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In the second rap verse, the second line says "lining them up like ass cracks" and the word "ass" is reversed. Also, a couple lines later, there's a line that says "(reversed word) I'm steppin' in harder this year" -- not certain if the word is "sh**" or "b****".
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The "single" version I downloaded from Itunes does not have any of the words above either reversed or edited out.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2005 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Speaking of downloadable singles, how exactly will you be figuring them into future editions of Top 40 Music on Compact Disc? For instance, recent songs like Mario's "Let Me Love You", Green Day's "Holiday", and Jessica Simpson's "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" have all been issued on paid download websites like I-Tunes and Napster as "separate" singles releases consisting of radio edits or early fades not available on their respective parent albums or on a physical playback medium at retail (i.e. - CD). Will you be considering the edits and early fades on these downloadable singles to be the official "45 version" or "45 length" even though they're not available at brick-and-mortar retail stores? Meanwhile, how will you address cases like "Goin' Crazy" by Natalie where the downloadable single release contains the "Radio Version" running 3:51, but the physical CD single release features the LP version running 4:52?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 21 September 2005 at 7:26am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 September 2005 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Great questions Todd and I can only say that maintaining a data base like this one is getting more difficult every year. I guess if a song is commercially available only as a digital download like "Feel Good Inc", then I should make note of that fact. If there is a song where Itunes states "single edit" and there is a commercial cd single also that is a different edit, then I should mention each individually with the comment "cd single version" and "digital download single version". This is a very difficult situation to handle.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version