Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Love Is a Battlefield" - Pat Benatar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to abagon, the actual 45 run time of Pat Benatar's "Love Is a Battlefield" is 4:08, not 4:00 as stated on the record label.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

I've got the 4:08, 5:20 and 6:28 versions on CD but I haven't found the 6:51 extended 12" remix
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Interesting findings for this song.

Abagon reported above that the 45 version runs 4:08. It seems that the 45 is a slightly different mix from the LP, and cannot be edited down from the LP version. The panning on the opening percussion is very drastic on the LP mix, but is a little more centered on the 45 mix. You can actually see the panning visually in the waveform. In addition, the opening beat on the 45 is a backwards-sounding beat that's not found on the LP - this beat is left off a few CDs, to make matters a little more complicated.

The first place that the 45 appeared was on a record-club CD on Realm called Gold And Platinum Vol. 1(1986, 4:00). It has its opening beat intact, but unfortunately, it fades about 10 seconds early. Avoid this CD - it has a lot of early fades.

The next CD the 45 appeared on is a 2-CD set from Time-Life called Rock Dreams (1993, 4:08). The opening backwards-sounding note is intact on this disc. The sound quality is pretty good - nice dynamic range, decent EQ, and the source tapes sound OK.

There's a CD that uses the same analog transfer as Rock Dreams, but cuts off the opening backwards-sounding intro beat - Razor & Tie's 2-CD Awesome '80s (1994, mastered by Steve Hoffman). And there's a CD that's a differently EQ'd digital clone of Awesome '80s - Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 11 1983-1984 (1995). Avoid these two if you want the opening backwards-sounding beat.

The opening backwards-sounding note is intact on Sony Germany's 2-CD Pop And Wave Vol. 5 (1994, 4:07), but the fade is slightly shorter than Rock Dreams.

(I don't have the All Fired Up CD, but Pat's book says that it runs 4:08. Can anyone report whether it has the opening backwards-sounding beat?)

In 1996, Chrysalis released Heartbreaker 16 Classic Performances, which I suspect has a bunch of digital clones of All Fired Up (I'll be happy to check this if someone sends me the version from All Fired Up.) This version runs 4:08, has the opening backwards-sounding beat intact, sounds like it's from great source tapes, and has a nice EQ, but is a little compressed. (Sonically, it strongly resembles Blondie's The Platinum Collection, which came out around the same time as All Fired Up.) Overall, I'd rate the sound on Heartbreaker a little better than on Rock Dreams, probably due to lower-generation source tapes.

There are digital clones of Heartbreaker on EMI UK's Time To Remember 1984 (1997, a little compression added, opening backwards-sounding intro beat removed) and on EMI UK's 2-CD Best Of 1984-1985 (2003).

There's a version that sounds similar to Heartbreaker on EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997), but it fades early.

Finally, there's a recreation of the 45 edit from the LP version on the promo 50-CD set The A List Disc 22 (1994). It doesn't quite match because of the intro panning, and possibly because of some other mix differences that I haven't noticed.

Bottom line: for the 45 version, try Heartbreaker (1996). Or, if it turns out that Heartbreaker is sourced from All Fired Up, then use All Fired Up.

For the LP version, the most common and probably the least expensive option is Best Shots (1989, 5:20). There are plenty of discs that use the same analog transfer as Best Shots, including: Big Ear Music's Only In The '80s Vol. 2 (1995), Madacy's Rock On 1983 (1996, digitally exactly 1.6 dB quieter), and Universal's More Pure 80's (2000, differently EQ'd and possibly extra compression added).

There are different analog transfers for the LP version on two different 8-CD box sets on Disky called Greatest Hits Of The '80s, one from 1998 and one from 2002. It sounds better on Best Shots.

Bottom line: for the LP version, try Best Shots (1989).

There's also a 12" version running 6:27 on Sony Germany's 2-CD Pop And Wave - The 12" Mixes (1995).

Edited by crapfromthepast on 07 January 2013 at 8:26am

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

I don't know if there actually are 2 separate 12" mixes. I think the "special extended remix" and the extended version are the same. The 6:28 version is definitely a remix and features the "tunnel" effect on Pat's opening dialogue as used in the video. Can anyone verify if the 6:51 mix is different or if it's the same mix with an incorrect run time?
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks for another amazing analysis, Ron. An additional
FYI: the UK import of "Best Shots" used the 4:08 single
version, complete with the "reverse drum" opening note.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Ron, I hear the "reverse drum" opening note on the All
Fired Up
disc.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks to Santi, I can confirm that Heartbreaker 16
Classic Performances
(1996) is a differently-EQ'd
digital clone of All Fired Up (1994).

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

budaniel wrote:
I don't know if there actually are 2 separate 12" mixes. I
think the "special extended remix" and the extended version are the same.
The 6:28 version is definitely a remix and features the "tunnel" effect on Pat's
opening dialogue as used in the video. Can anyone verify if the 6:51 mix is
different or if it's the same mix with an incorrect run time?

Dan, I own the stock 12" single (Chrysalis 4V9 42734). First off, I just
listened to the first minute of the (6:30)-ish version on YouTube, to get a
feel/remind myself of the "tunnel effect" you describe. I then just now played
the first minute of my listed (6:51) stock 12" single. To me, the opening
minute of both sources sound 100% identical, so I also now concur with your
suspicions as to the two versions being the same.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version