Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Diana Ross - Single Versions On CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 August 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the easiest/best way to obtain Diana Ross' single versions on CD, particularly the 1970-1981 Motown era. Stereo edits for what would have been a mono mix on original 45's is acceptable.

Any info is very much appreciated! :)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2008 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Many of Diana Ross's singles are the same as their LP versions.

If you're looking for a single disc collection that has 45 versions, you could try the "Ultimate Collection" (Motown 14530428). It has the 45 versions of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Love Hangover". "Upside Down" and "Missing You" are the LP length on this CD, but those are just early fades of the LP versions. However, this one does not have "Swept Away", which has a unique 45 version.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

And Diana's top 40 hit "So Close", which has a unique mix for the single version -- has never been released on CD, either here in the US or overseas.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

IIRC, isn't the single version of "Touch Me In The Morning" longer than the LP version?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

No. I have the single and the original LP of "Touch Me In The Morning", and it is the exact same as the original LP. The longer version first appeared in the 80s.

The stereo edit of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" that you hear on oldies radio is not the same as the actual 45. It is plain wrong in terms of mix and edits. It's wrong on the Motown year By year 1970 CD too. The only way that i'm aware of to get that 45 version is on the first Motown Hitsville box set or the Motown Complete Singles Collection Volume 10.

Thanks for the into on "So Close" from 1982. I'll have to get that 45 now.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Speaking of Diana Ross 45 versions, the mono single versions of her first three singles are of course available on "Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10: 1970."

As I posted in another thread, the bonus is the set includes two never-before-on-CD promo versions of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -- a 4:04 mono radio edit and a mono 6:17 full length version.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Help desperately needed!

"Gettin' Ready For Love" - does the single feature the Baby It's Me LP version, or the vastly superior remix that runs the same length, found on the 1986 Diana Ross Anthology?

"The Boss" - did the single feature the LP version, or was it faded slightly early as it is on several compilations?
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Also, everything I've come across states that the longer "Touch Me In The Morning" is the single version... can anyone else confirm/deny this?

Thanks!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ron, I thought we'd long ago posted the answers to all of your new Diana Ross timing questions to the Board, and I found that we had. So you may wanna browse the old posts for next time, my friend. :) But since you sound in a big hurry, I will summarize the old posts for you here. From the commercial 45's:

-Last Time I Saw Him: listed (2:45); actual (2:48)(the only db appearance for this song longer than (2:48) is a (3:38) "complete recording session" version on the "newer" Motown Anthology CD; db has the Command Compact Performances v as running (2:40), :08 shorter than the 45)
-Gettin' Ready For Love: listed (2:55); actual (2:45) (db makes no distinction between Anthology/Baby It's Me versions)
-The Boss: listed & actual (3:59) (Pat says some commercial copies show a listed time of 3:34) (only "The Boss" CDv runs as long as (3:58); all other db CDs do run slightly shorter, as you note)
-Touch Me In The Morning: there were 2 different stock 45s for this song released in 1973, so which one is the "single version" is certainly up for interpretation:
-listed (3:15); actual (3:26)
-listed (3:51); actual (3:53)

Edited by jimct on 21 December 2008 at 7:07pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Who is Ron and where are these answers hidden? I spent 45 minutes searching threads before I posted, honest!

Thanks for the response. Does anyone own the "Gettin' Ready For Love" 45 who could confirm if it contains the Baby It's Me LP version or the remix? :)

Edited by Underground Dub on 21 December 2008 at 9:20pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Sorry for the "Ron" mixup, Underground Dub; I had a brain spasm between you and "crapfromthepast!" :)

Edited by jimct on 21 December 2008 at 9:48pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Underground Dub wrote:
I spent 45 minutes searching threads before I posted, honest!

Yeah, I've had that happen too -- been told "We've already answered that question," and then I do another search and I STILL come up with nothing!

The search engine of this site is defective. I've mentioned before that the "phrase" search feature absolutely does not come up with phrases... it works the same as the "find all words" search. So if you're searching for the phrase "So Close," it will come up with every thread that has both the words "close" and "so" in it -- which is a LOT. I wish we could get that fixed.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Underground Dub I just used the search feature to search for the phrase "Ready For Love" under Topic and it found the previous thread referenced by Jim. I also searched for the phrase "The Boss" and found the previous thread referenced by Jim. For some reason I have always had trouble with the apostrophe character with the software used for the database and associated search engine such that when I search for "Gettin' Ready For Love" the search engine did not find that string when I used the search for this phrase under Topic.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The single of Gettin' Ready For Love is the remix found on the 1986 Diana Ross Anthology and the Forever Diana box set.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Pat, can you ask your technician to fix the quote problem in the Search Engine? If it can't be fixed, can you make a note under the search engine that says to not use quotes. For people not interested in Diana Ross single versions, they will not check this thread and will not have this info.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Wow, Pat's right. Any word with an apostrophe will not be found.

I guess what I was saying before about the phrase search not working isn't quite accurate -- it will find whole phrases. But what's irritating is that it not only highlights the phrase in yellow in the results, but highlights every single word from that phrase, individually, that is used anywhere else in the thread. It makes it difficult to spot the phrase you searched for, especially if it's a long thread.

Also, if revisions are ever made to the board's search engine, it would be nice if a search will bring up the exact post or at least the page where your results are. I can't count how many times I've looked for info on a song, only to find that it's "somewhere" in a 20-page thread.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 December 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The search engine was not developed by my programmer -- it is a generic package that my programmer purchased and inserted into the shell of his custom developed package so he is not really interested in delving into someone elses program to make changes. I mentioned yesterday that I have had trouble with apostrophe but I have also had problems with quotation marks as Brian pointed out above.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version