Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Harden My Heart" - Quarterflash Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 July 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to the database, the 45 length of Quarterflash's "Harden My Heart" is 3:33. It should probably also be noted that the record label on commercial 45 copies incorrectly states the run time at 3:36.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

My commercial 45's actual running time is (3:36) -very near to 3:37- , the listed time is also "3:36". (Geffen GEF 49824)
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

There are a number of database entries for "Harden My Heart" that show a 3:33 running time, but do not indicate that they are the 45 version. The database notes show that the 45 ran 3:36. Is there some significant difference that makes the 3:33 version different than the 45?
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote KentT

My Promo 45 is 3:33 and is noted as an Edit on the label. Flip side is a mono fold down version which also runs 3:33. There may have been a later pressing with a longer playing time.

Edited by KentT on 19 July 2010 at 10:02am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj copy of Harden My Heart states and runs (3:36) and is an early fade of the LP even though the 45 record label states "edit".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not clear as to whether the versions in the database that run from 3:33 to 3:35 are the 45/dj version, as they have no description. Based on the run-times, they would appear to be the 45/DJ version. Is this the case?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

There are a handful of cases in the database where, for whatever the reason, the reader has to draw conclusions based on the notes (run time) next to the song title. This appears to be one of those cases. I would presume that in these cases you are getting either the 45 or LP version/length (depending on the run time) unless the CD specifically says "neither."

It would actually be very helpful if Pat was able to add descriptions in those cases to avoid any guesswork. It would also make the database more consistent, since it's usually always labeled with every other 45/LP distinction.

Edited by aaronk on 22 July 2010 at 7:43am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Why does everyone refer to this song as a "45 version" as it is simply an early fade of the LP?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, I was actually speaking in general terms, and I have modified my post for clarification.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The oldest version I have of the LP length is on the fabulous 4-CD promo set Geffen Records A Musical History Of The Decade Vol. 1 (1990). The sound is quite nice. I suspect that this uses the same analog transfer as the '80s-era Quarterflash CD, but that disc is pretty hard to come by, and I can't confirm. There are other discs that use the same analog transfer as the Geffen disc:
  • Sandstone's Cosmopolitan Vol. 4 (1992; clips a tiny bit)
  • Cema's Greatest Hits Of The '80s Vol. 1 Turbo Mania (1994; differently EQ'd digital clone)
There's a rather poor-sounding, high-tape-generation analog transfer on JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1980-1984 (1994). There are other discs that use the same analog transfer as Only R&R:
  • Swaitek's 50-CD promo The A List Disc 13 (1994; fades a few seconds early and no tape hiss on the fade)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1982 (1996)
(I suspect that the above batch, including Only R&R use the same analog transfer as some 1994-or-earlier disc, since I don't think Only R&R had any new analog transfers.)

I also suspect that the 1996 remaster of Quarterflash or the 1997 disc Harden My Heart Best Of is mastered really loud, and that the two following discs use the same analog transfer of the loud disc:
  • EMI's Retro Lunchbox Gooey Love Songs (1997)
  • Simitar's Number Ones Classic Rock (1998)
Now, on to the 45, which is an early fade of the LP length.

The first disc to include the 45 length was Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1982 (1992). Sound is superb, as is the case of just about all the tracks on the Billboard CDs. Plenty of other discs that use the same analog transfer as Billboard:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Rock Dreams (1993)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rockin' USA (1994)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 5 1982 (1994; differently EQ'd digital clone that has added compression - avoid)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Punk (1996; since when is Quarterflash considered punk?)
There's a different analog transfer for Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002). It looks like Rhino went back to a good-sounding source tape of the LP length, and redid the fade. The fade here is shaped a little different than the earlier Billboard disc.

Overall, for the LP length, I recommend Geffen Records A Musical History Of The Decade Vol. 1 (1990), or any that use the same analog transfer.

For the 45 length, I recommend Billboard Top Hits 1982 (1992).

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

crapfromthepast wrote:

I also suspect that the 1996 remaster of Quarterflash or the 1997 disc Harden My Heart Best Of is mastered really loud, and that the two following discs use the same analog transfer of the loud disc:
  • EMI's Retro Lunchbox Gooey Love Songs (1997)
  • Simitar's Number Ones Classic Rock (1998)

Ron, fortunately, this is not the case. There is no compression added to any of the tracks from "Harden My Heart" best-of disc. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up to get "Take Me To Heart" and "Take Another Picture" on CD.

Edited by 995wlol on 17 August 2013 at 1:27pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version