Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Strung Out" - Steve Perry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 August 2005 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I have a couple of things to point out regarding Steve Perry's "Strung Out"...

First, all CD appearances of the song in the 10th edition should contain the comment: (LP version). The commercial 45 runs 3:40 and is an edit of the LP version. The 45 does not contain the opening countoff found on the LP version and instead begins at the :04 mark of the LP version when the electric guitar starts playing. Other than that, the two versions are exactly the same. This is a very easy edit for anyone interested in making their own homemade 45 version from CD.

Second, the 10th edition shows the run time for "Strung Out" on the Street Talk CD to be 3:51. I have a copy of this CD on Columbia 67849 and the correct run time is 3:44 just like on the Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased disc (Columbia 69686).

Edited by Todd Ireland on 31 August 2005 at 11:00am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 January 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd: My promo 45 for this has (Single Version) notated on one side, with a listed and actual time of (3:40), similar to the commercial 45. The other side has (Album Version) notated, with a listed and actual time of (3:51), which time agrees with the Columbia 39344 CD pressing of "Street Talk", and not the one that you own, just FYI.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the heads up, Jim. For CD appearances where "Strung Out" runs 3:44, I'm now wondering if it would be more accurate to revise the accompanying comments as follows: (45 version, but includes an opening countoff not on the 45)? Right now, the database shows the 3:44 version as being (neither the 45 or LP version) which might misguide readers into thinking this is a different edit or version altogether.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 05 January 2007 at 11:19pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm confused on this one. Am I reading something wrong? The 45 and LP are the same, except that the LP has the countoff and the 45 does not. Correct? Wouldn't that make the version with the countoff the LP version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:16am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, I don't mean to speak for Todd here, but the way I understood his explanation was this: It seems that the initial LP release on CD (Columbia 39344) contains, predictably, the (3:51) album version. But a subsequent CD release of this LP (Columbia 67849) seems to have substituted the (3:40) "single version" of "Strung Out" for the album version, with one caveat: This release features a not-found-on-the-45, previously unavailable :04 "single version countoff." (3:40) single version, plus the (:04) countoff, equals (3:44), the length found on Todd's CD.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim, you're right on the money and I thank you for providing a superior explanation. Sorry for the lack of clarification and confusion in my previous comments, Aaron.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I get it!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Question about this track.

I just tried to create the 45 version of "Strung Out" by cutting off the countoff intro from the "Playlist: Very Best Of Steve Perry" CD.

My 45 dub seems to have a slight fade in or something else (I csn't place my finger on it) that is not matching the edit I've made by just cutting off the countoff intro. It is very very slight, but it does seem a little different to me.

I can forward on my 45 dub if anyone is interested in comparing.

Thanks.

-Jeff

Edited by Fetta on 25 January 2013 at 6:49pm
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

fetta, just sent you the track thru pando...

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2018 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Update on the single version:

I have the short version with the countdown at the beginning. I also have the original version from the first CD copy of "Street Talk."

The short version with countdown is HORRIBLY clipped in my copy. I don't know for sure if it's from a "remastered" version of Street Talk, but it's really shameful what they did to the dynamics.

The good news is the edits to the LP version to match the "edit with countdown" seem to be pretty easy, and all in the beginning of the song.

To my ears in A/B comparison, the mixes seem to be identical 100% of the way through.

Assuming you leave the countdown on (at least until you get it edited), here are the edit points for the full LP version:

Take out 0:07 to 0:11, editing from the guitar strum to the cymbal crash, shortening the nearly solo guitar riff in half.

From what you have left:

Take out 0:11 to 0:14, editing right on the snare hits, taking out two bars, again shortening the riff to about half original length.

To make the original single edit, clip off the countdown at the beginning... and based on what Jeff said above, maybe fade in the first 250 ms? I don't have the single to compare.

I hope this helps somebody! I edited my original "Street Talk" version to match rather than use my heavily clipped pre-edited version.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

So the 3:44 versions that appear on CD are just the 45 version with the count off tacked on to the start? Just want to confirm if that is in fact accurate. Thanks in advance.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Santi Paradoa wrote:
So the 3:44 versions that appear on
CD are just the 45 version with the count off tacked on to
the start? Just want to confirm if that is in fact
accurate. Thanks in advance.

Yes Santi, that is my understanding.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney