Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Michael Jackson-Can’t Get Outta The Rain Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 August 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone know if the Michael Jackson b-side "Can't Get Outta The Rain" ever appeared on CD? Although it wasn't a top 40 hit, it was on the b-side of "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" (and possibly other singles from Thriller that I can't recall).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 August 2005 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Nope. It was slated as part of a collection of CD singles of the "Thriller" singles in Australia that was to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of the album, but they were canceled at the last minute.

The basis for Can't Get Outta the Rain is actually the second half of the extended version of "You Can't Win" from "The Wiz," which is available on the MJ "Ultimate Collection" box and an old German CD3. But instead of saying "can't get out of the game," which are the lyrics of the original, Michael overdubbed a new vocal, substituting the word "rain." The background vocals and instrumental track are exactly the same -- you can even hear the background singers singing "game." In fact, I think there's a point where Michael still says "game" as well. Also, I think it fades out a bit earlier than the original track.

I haven't really analyzed it yet to see how much of the original lead vocal is retained... but sounds like a good project!

I was extremely disappointed when they canceled those Australian singles, not only because of my MJ fandom, but also because when I first started collecting "the hits," my original goal was to have the A and B sides of all the #1 hits, so it would be just like I had the original 45s, but on CD. Through a lot of searching, I've uncovered most of them, even instrumental B-sides for songs like "Careless Whisper" and "Ghostbusters." But "Can't Get Outta the Rain" eludes me.

Edited by Brian W. on 25 August 2005 at 3:37pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version