Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Paul Revere/Raiders-"Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, which is mono and confirmed as Columbia 44744, has a listed time of (2:29), but an actual time of (2:33). Pat, it would also seem that a database notation will need to be added here, as the two current database CDs that include this song feature longer run times, at (2:43) and (2:46).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Looks like all versions on CD are the LP version. The 45 makes an edit at the end and runs MUCH slower pitch than the LP version.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The correct, mono 45 version of this song has just made its worldwide CD debut, on a new Rev-Ola (U.K.) import CD, titled "Hungry For Kicks: Singles & Choice Cuts 1965-1969" (CR REV 284). And although these other tracks are already available in their "45 version" on one or two database CDs, this collection also includes (and all on the same CD) the mono 45 versions for their hits "Let Me!", "Too Much Talk", "Peace Of Mind", "The Great Airplane Strike", as well as their just-missed-the-database 1968 hit "Cinderella Sunshine". FYI, a recent Collector's Choice catalog I recieved stated that their recent Jay & The Americans mono singles CD set was their #1 seller in the weeks after its initial release. Along with this new disc, I'm starting to sense a bit of a re-issue label mini-trend of late, opting to include the mono single mixes, instead of the stereo versions for the millionth time, and I for one hope it continues! Rhino, are you listening? One of your main re-issue rivals' artist mono comps are selling very well, and you're laying people off! I know they were bought by WB a while back, but I bet it's still not too late for Rhino to get their act together. And I'm rootin' for them. They will always have a special place in my heart, due to the many amazing 80's/90's CD comps still in my collection.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

In a thread on the Hoffman board that actually contains some useful information, Ed Osborne announced that CCM will release Paul Revere & The Raiders: The Complete Columbia Singles in "either December '09 or January '10". It is to be a 3-CD set featuring "65 classic tracks in all their original hit singles glory, meaning those much sought-after mono mixes (where applicable)."

Due November 3 on Fantasy is Creedence Clearwater Revival's The Singles Collection, which will also feature the original mono singles mixes. (It has been suggested on the Hoffman board that the single mixes were simply fold-downs of the stereo mixes, but I'm not convinced of that.) This is to be a two CD plus one DVD set, so it might be a little pricey.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Wow! Its been so long since I listened to the 45 of "Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon" that I totally forgot that it was pitched slower. I always remember the edit at the end.
There could be an entire thread about songs that were either pitched up or down.
("Baker Street" and "Abracadabra" were pitched up.
Can't wait for this CCM collection.

One question: What are the differences in the CCR singles? Are they that easy to discribe?
Is it the fact that their mono the difference?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim, thanks for the tip. Just ordered a copy a few minutes ago.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

bwolfe wrote:
What are the differences in the CCR singles? Are they that easy to discribe?
Is it the fact that their mono the difference?

Creedence is one of the RARE cases where all their mono singles actually are fold-downs of the stereo versions. It says this in the liner notes for one of the old Steve Hoffman-mastered CCR albums. It says the band spent a lot of time finding the "magic" mix, and didn't want to try to replicate it twice... that's why their early singles were mixed in very narrow stereo, so there wouldn't be a big difference between the mono and stereo versions.

Edited by Brian W. on 08 October 2009 at 9:59pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Paul C wrote:

Due November 3 on Fantasy is Creedence Clearwater Revival's The Singles Collection, which will also feature the original mono singles mixes.

Has it been confirmed that it will be mono? All I had heard was speculation.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Paul C wrote:
It has been suggested on the Hoffman board that the single mixes were simply fold-downs of the stereo mixes, but I'm not convinced of that.

According to Steve Hoffman in his liner notes for the CCR vinyl boxed set by Analogue Productions, they were. See the last page, the section titled "Mixed to Last":

"The important thing to remember was that Fogerty only mixed these songs ONCE. This, he felt, was the "fairy dust mix," the one that had the soul. He didn't think he could get that again, so that one mix had to do for everything. The original Fantasy seven-inch 45rpm singles of every Creedence song are mono fold-downs from these mixes."

http://www.pamelaharris.biz/images/print/CCRbooklet.pdf

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2009 at 3:45am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

The difference on Green River is discuessed on the link below.

Not many other real differences between the 45 and LP versions except the intro edit on "Down on the Corner" and the editing of post break up single "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

Hopefully the dreadful "Creedence Medley" never makes it to CD..it needs to be burned and buried in the same grave the "Dion Medley" from Laurie.
http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1651 &KW=green+river

Edited by BillCahill on 09 October 2009 at 3:49am
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Paul C wrote:
In a thread on the Hoffman board that actually contains some useful information, Ed Osborne announced that CCM will release Paul Revere & The Raiders: The Complete Columbia Singles in "either December '09 or January '10". It is to be a 3-CD set featuring "65 classic tracks in all their original hit singles glory, meaning those much sought-after mono mixes (where applicable)."

Just wanted to verify that, indeed, the Paul Revere collection is in the works! My good friend Ed Osborne has been doing a fantastic job with the folks over at Collector's Choice (Ed's detailed liner notes alone are worth the price of admission). We all need to spread the word and help support these wonderful compilations.

Edited by Paul Haney on 09 October 2009 at 4:08am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version