Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: DARYL HALL&JOHN OATES-"Your Imagination" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 June 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote abagon

DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES - "Your Imagination"

The actual 45 running time is (3:30), the listed time is "3:27" on the record label. (RCA PB-13252)
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Is there a mix difference between the 45 & the LP / CD? I'm listening to a sample on iTunes & a sample on Amazon and I'm not sure the samples are showing me where the versions deviate.

(Sorry about all the Hall & Oates posts lately; guess whose hit list I'm going through right now?) ;-)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Never mind; just downloaded it from Amazon (because it's only available on iTunes in JAPAN!!!)... MASSIVE mix (instrumentation?) differences.

WOW.

I never would have known without the database; thanks again for this service!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

NightAire wrote:
Never mind; just downloaded it from Amazon (because it's only available on iTunes in JAPAN!!!)... MASSIVE mix (instrumentation?) differences.

WOW.

I never would have known without the database; thanks again for this service!

It should be adapted from the 12" remix. I edited my own version of the 45 from this, and it sounds the way that I remembered hearing it on the radio. But it is much harder than the LP.

"I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" was also remixed as a 12" and I edited a 45 version from it. But that one has a few tricks required towards the end to maintain proper phase and fluidity during the edits.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Jody Thornton wrote:

It should be adapted from the 12" remix. I edited my own version of the 45 from this, and it sounds the way that I remembered hearing it on the radio. But it is much harder than the LP.

"I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" was also remixed as a 12" and I edited a 45 version from it. But that one has a few tricks required towards the end to maintain proper phase and fluidity during the edits.

I know there's a promo 45 for "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" out there with an edit of that 12-inch version. I have yet to track it down.

As for "Your Imagination", I remember Rock 102 in Buffalo playing a version I have not found anywhere - it must be that 12-inch remix. I didn't buy the "Private Eyes" album until after all the singles had been released and was surprised at the difference in "Your Imagination".
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

The promo 45 for I Can't Go For That has a catalog # of RCA 12361 whereas the commercial catalog # is RCA 12357
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

torcan wrote:

I know there's a promo 45 for "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" out there with an edit of that 12-inch version. I have yet to track it down.

As for "Your Imagination", I remember Rock 102 in Buffalo playing a version I have not found anywhere - it must be that 12-inch remix. I didn't buy the "Private Eyes" album until after all the singles had been released and was surprised at the difference in "Your Imagination".

My stock 45 of "Can't Go..." is the edit of the remix. CKOC and Rock 102 were really the only two in this area that played it. WBEN-AM, WBUF-FM, CFTR and everyone else I can think of played the LP edit 45.

I have a 45-rpm of "Your Imagination" but I thought it had what Rock 102 played, no? (I have to dig it out) That's how I made my own edit was to simulate the Rock 102 version (which is indeed an edit of the 12"). I thought that was the 45-rpm version. Hmmmmmm

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The 45 edit of the 12" remix for "I Can't Go For That..." is available on one CD, according to the database.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

eriejwg wrote:
The 45 edit of the 12" remix for "I Can't Go For That..." is available on one CD, according to the database.

I understand that it's also on the remastered "Private Eyes" CD. So is the remix of "Your Imagination".

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jody Thornton wrote:
eriejwg wrote:

I understand that it's also on the remastered "Private Eyes" CD. So is the remix of "Your Imagination".

The 12" single versions of "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" and "Your Imagination" do appear on the remastered deluxe CD edition of Private Eyes (RCA/BMG Heritage 58615), but not their 45 versions.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2022 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It's a shame the mastering isn't better on the 12 Inch Collection (Japan) and Extended Mixes (digital). All the songs on those releases are heavily brickwalled. On top of that, though, "Your Imagination" was run through noise reduction for no apparent reason. The high frequencies have a gated sound to them. Not good! Luckily, the folks at Razor & Tie opted to include the 12" mix on the Greatest Hits compilation, and it sounds much better. There's still hard limiting applied to the track but no NR.

Edited by aaronk on 06 September 2022 at 10:19am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2022 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Scanner

Is the version on the 2004 "Ultimate" compilation the
single version? I recall hearing a few different versions
of this song on the radio back when and wondered which was
the "official" single version of the song.
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 September 2022 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ultimate has the LP version. The 45 has an edit of the 12" mix, which is drastically different.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2022 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

aaronk wrote:
It's a shame the mastering isn't better on the 12 Inch Collection (Japan) and Extended Mixes (digital). All the songs on those releases are heavily brickwalled. On top of that, though, "Your Imagination" was run through noise reduction for no apparent reason. The high frequencies have a gated sound to them. Not good!

Yeah, I have the 2018 reissue of the 12" Collection, and definitely agree about the loudness.

But your post made me wonder - are the bonus tracks on the 2004 remasters the same? I have the 2011 Japanese reissues of the 2004 RCA discs, so I decided to measure the loudness of various tracks that appear on both, and figured I'd post my findings:

I Can't Go For That Extended Club Mix
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -13.7 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -10.0 db (-10.5 db on the digital comp, with 0.5 headroom)

One On One Club Mix
2001 The Ballads Collection - RMS -16.8 db
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -14.7 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -11.9 db

Family Man Extended Dance Mix
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -13.9 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -11.4 db

Your Imagination Disco Remix
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -13.1 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -10.6 db

Out Of Touch Extended Version
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -13.9 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -11.1 db

Method Of Modern Love Extended Version
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -14.3 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -11.7 db

Dance On Your Knees Extended Version
2004/2011 remaster series - RMS -15.1 db
2003/2018 12" Collection - RMS -11.6 db

As you can see, the 2004/2011 masters are still on the loud side, but not as bad as the 12" Collection. (I Can't Go For That at -10.0 db? Seriously?)

I also included the One On One 12" mix that appeared on the ballads collection, which is a more reasonable -16.8 db. Which begs the question - why not reissue these compilations without the heavy compression?
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 September 2022 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was wondering if the remasters were any better or if they used the same digital masters as the 12 Inch Collection. I'm glad to know that even though they came out around the same time the remasters aren't mastered quite as loud. I might try to seek them out.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 September 2022 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I had a chance to hear and look at the waveforms for a couple of these today, and I agree that they don't have as much hard limiting and compression applied as the 12 Inch Collection. This is a nice find!

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2022 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

Playlist has the 45 version of "Your imagination". Unlike
some comps in the Playlist series, this one is still
readily available.
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version