Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Steal Away" - Robbie Dupree Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 June 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Robbie Dupree's "Steal Away" is 3:26, not 3:21 as stated on the record label. (This info comes courtesy of Edtop40.)

Does anyone know the vinyl LP run time?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, despite the song's fade-in, the first note was easily discernable for my timing purposes. I just came up with a "Steal Away" actual run time of (3:28), with obviously the same listed time that you report, (3:21). My deadwax info is "ES-46621 A SP".
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 March 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

A few different analog transfers here. Some better than others, but none are awful.

The song appeared on two CDs in 1989. One is MCA/Silver Eagle's 3-CD Shades Of Love (1989). It sounds OK here, where it's probably not from the lowest-generation source tape. The same analog transfer is used for swaitek's A List Disc 5 (1994), which adds noise reduction - avoid.

The other 1989 appearance is on Warner Special Products' 2-CD Feel Good Rock (1989). There are some crackles at the end of the fade that sound like surface noise to me - is this taken from vinyl? Even if it's a needledrop, it still sounds better than Shades Of Love. There are a few CDs that use the same analog transfer as Feel Good Rock:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Good Times (1991, absolute polarity inverted)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Lost In Love (1994)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1980 (1996; digitally exactly 0.7 dB quieter than Good Times)
There's a new analog transfer on Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 7 Light And Easy (1993). It's a little loud, and clips a bit, but doesn't sound awful. Also not the lowest-generation source tape. There's a clunky noise in the left channel during the fade - it's not a turntable clunk; it's more of a sound I used to hear if I plugged something in in a patch bay. That's the only CD I found with the clunky noise.

And finally, the best-sounding of the bunch: Bill Inglot did a new analog transfer for Rhino's Radio Daze Vol. 3 (1995). It clips a tiny bit, but it sounds very nice. There are a bunch of CDs that use the same analog transfer as Radio Daze:
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll #1 Radio Hits 1980-1984 (1996)
  • Time-Life's Body Talk Vol. 16 Sweet Nothings (1997; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Razor & Tie's Easy Rock (2001; discrete level changes from Only Rock N Roll)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters Vol. 13 1979-1989 (2001; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Madacy's cheapie Retro '80s (2005)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 1 Summer Breeze (2006; differently EQ'd digital clone)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 27 March 2014 at 5:28am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version