Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "All She Wants Is" - Duran Duran Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 August 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Edtop40 passed along some information to me that the actual commercial 45 length of Duran Duran's "All She Wants Is" is 4:27, not 4:36 as stated on the record label. The album length meanwhile is 4:32. Currently, there is no mention in the 10th edition of a run time difference between the single and album length.    
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2005 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I have the original US CD single (commercial), which opens with what it calls "45 mix," which runs an actual 4:29.

Now, just because it says "45 mix" doesn't mean that's what was used for the 45. On the other hand, just because it times out at 4:27 on Ed's particular turntable doesn't mean it's playing at the correct speed, or that the vinyl single was mastered at the correct speed.

Edited by Brian W. on 06 August 2005 at 1:31am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my turntable runs fine.........it's my cassette player that runs a little fast..........i stand by my assessment of this issue.......

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2005 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I'm sure your turntable does run fine. All I'm saying, as I've said before, is that there's a slight variation in ALL turntables. No matter how fancy or expensive, NONE of them run at the exact same speed. So a second or two difference over the course of a song isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

But, yeah, I think you're probably right that the 45 is a different version from the LP.

Edited by Brian W. on 07 August 2005 at 1:09pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2005 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

it just runs a little short

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 August 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I forwarded to Pat a commercial vinyl 45 copy of "All She Wants Is" on mp3 so he could weigh in on the issue. In his assessment, the 45 is the same mix as the LP and is simply faded :02 to :03 sooner than the LP which has an extremely long fade to begin with. He doesn't think this short difference in time is worth mentioning in the book and takes into consideration that different pressing plants get different masters to press the 45s and therefore the run times between individual 45s could vary by a hair.

I was able to listen to the vinyl 45, thanks to Ed who first sent me the mp3. I loaded it up on my computer so I could measure the exact run time. This is one of those songs where the amplifier volume needs to be cranked up to the maximum during the long fadeout in order to perceive every last trace of audio signal. It can be difficult to pinpoint the end of a fadeout when listening to a record though because of all the competing pops, snaps, and crackles inherent in the medium. As a result, I believe you could have several people try to time this particular 45 and they'll each probably come up with slightly differing run times, especially if the song is listened to at different volume output levels. For instance, I actually come up with a run time closer to 4:30 when using my computer software and high-end Klipsch THX speaker equipment cranked up at maximized volume and treble.

Now, I'm intrigued by Brian's commercial CD single copy which he says contains what's called the "45 mix". I'm thinking this is the same mix as the one on the vinyl 45 and LP/CD, but of course in the wild and crazy world of music collecting one must always hold out for the possibility it might be different!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 August 2005 at 8:58am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 October 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Just thought I'd toss out one more person's opinion regarding the commercial 45 run time of Duran Duran's "All She Wants Is"... Abagon reports his copy has an actual time of 4:31, not 4:36 as printed on the record label which also states "45 Mix".

That said, does anyone know if there's a discernable mix difference between the 45 and CD/LP?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2008 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as capitol 44287 states "45 mix" on the label with a listed run time of 4:35 but it actually runs 4:30....my 3" cd single also claims to be the same "45 mix" but the 45 runs about 0:02 longer than the version on the 3" cd single.....does anyone have thye cd "big thing" to see if the versions are the same.....

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

okay...i just downloaded an mp3 of the song "all she wants is" from the duran duran cd "decade" and it matches the 45 exactly.....and runs 4:30....my import cd single says "45 mix" on the cd's face but actually runs 4:27.....and is faded 0:03 earlier than the "decade" cd version and the vinyl 45 version...pat..you may want to amend the info in the db, stating that there are TWO 45's with two different run times......as i believe there is only one....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained a promo CD single for "All She Wants Is" (DPRO-79456). It's a one-track disc with a printed and actual time of 4:34. There is no version described on the disc. I haven't compared it against any of the other copies I have on CD.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version