Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Johnny Cash-"A Boy Named Sue" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 June 2008 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, which is mono, has a listed time of (3:40) and an actual time of (3:38). I only post this info because the vast majority of current database CD listings for this song fall in the runtime range of between (3:36) and (3:46).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Was a stereo commercial 45 ever available for this one? I had a stereo promo of it once upon a time but somehow it left my collection during my college years, either stolen from college or accidentally sold off when i unloaded several boxes of what i thought were NOT part of my personal collection, at a flea market a few summers ago. All promo's ive seen on ebay since then have been mono promos!

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My U.S. commercial 45 starts with crowd noises but no actual applause. I have the song on two CDs, Good Time Country and Super Hits (the latter a Canadian pressing), which, in addition to having the crowd noises start earlier, have applause dubbed over the commercial 45 intro (or perhaps the 45 had them removed). It is not simply a matter of the different versions fading in at different spots, so for purists the true commercial 45 version cannot be created from either CD. The question is whether there is any CD out there from which it can be created.

A little aside about the song: Cash had never performed the song before and had been given the song only hours before. While performing the song, he was actually reading the words off a piece of paper.

Edited by Paul C on 04 June 2008 at 9:14am
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom, my promo 45 is also mono, and it has the exact same, listed (3:40), actual (3:38) timing parameters as I've just reported for my commercial 45. And, as Paul C mentions, both my stock & promo 45 copies do begin with a second or two of "mellow, quiet, expectant background crowd noise", but no actual applause, before the song's first guitar note. Paul's question here is a good one, though, and makes me wonder whether or not this exact intro could be unique to the original mono 45 or not. FYI, the artist name on my commercial 45 is predictably shown as "Johnny Cash", but for both "A Boy Named Sue" and its flip side, "San Quentin", for some reason his name is shown as "J. Cash" on my promo 45. I think I vaguely remember hearing on his TV show, back when I was a kid, that during his own time spent in prison, back in the 50's, I believe, that's how the prison personnel had referred to him, and this was perhaps an "homage" of sorts, to his own time spent locked up, being that "A Boy Named Sue" was recorded at San Quentin prison and all, but I'm not at all positive about this. Or, given the novelty nature of this release, it could simply be that Columbia was trying to make this particular promo 45 relase by him somehow stand out to radio, from his many other previous 45 releases. Since, for the past 5 years or so (1964-1969), the vast majority of his radio airplay had come from Country-formatted stations, not Top 40 stations.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Here's a thought...if you paste the opening guitar from the uncensored version on to the censored version, would that work?

Edited by eriejwg on 04 June 2008 at 11:02am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

reason I suggested the above, the uncensored version does not have applause dubbed over the intro of the song. I pasted the intro in and the file runs 3:38.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

My promo is in stereo, but otherwise sounds like the same version described as the mono 45.

As you can see, the only "J. Cash" is the writer credit on "San Quentin".

Edited by Hykker on 04 June 2008 at 5:47pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

According to wikipedia, Cash's full birth name was "J.R. Cash" (just initials, no first/middle names). When he enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in 1950, he was told that he couldn't sign on with just a first initial, he needed a first name. So he put down "John R. Cash" as his name. That doesn't really shed any light about why Columbia listed him as "J. Cash" on this 45, but it was, in a sense, his real first and last name.    

Incidentally, wikipedia claims that Cash never actually spent time in prison, despite his "outlaw" image. He was arrested a number of times on various misdemeanor charges, but never received a prison sentence per se, and never spent any significant amount of time in jail.

All of the above is with the usual caveats about wikipedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Cash

Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version