Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Whitney Houston - "I’m Your Baby Tonight" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I had the full I'm Your Baby Tonight CD, with a version of 4:58, and my commercial 45 had 5:00 printed on the label, so I just assumed it was the LP version. And I didn't really give it another thought until I found a 4:12 edit on a TM Century CD. Still haven't played the 45, but I recreated the edit.

Here are instructions, based on timings from I'm Your Baby Tonight:

Keep 0:00.0-2:56.1 of the LP version.
The edit point falls between the words "Whatever you" and "want", where the syllables "ever you" all have three snare hits under them. I cut it at the bass drum that starts the word "want" and it sounded fine.
Remove the 32 beats from 2:56.1-3:13.5.
Keep the 67 beats from 3:13.5-3:50.0.
Edit at snare at 3:50; you should hear a whooshy sound effect disappear after the edit (and you'll never hear the song the same way again!)
Remove the 16 beats from 3:50.0-3:58.7.
Keep the 77 beats from 3:58.7-4:40.7. (The end of this portion should be on the word "want".)
Put a 32-beat fade from 4:23.2-4:40.7.

Your mixdown should run 4:14, with edits at 2:56.1 and 3:32.6, and a 32-beat fade from 3:57.1-4:14.5.

(FYI - The true fade on the TM edit version is a second or two quicker than what I described, but I'm a stickler for having fades that fit the measures of the song. 32 beats is aesthetically pleasing; 29 beats, not so much...)

Jim - Do you have the promo CD single info for this song?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Yes I do, Ron, and here are the rather brief particulars for it (with no listed time):

Whitney Houston-"I'm Your Baby Tonight" (ASCD-2108)
1-(non-described version) (actual time 4:14)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cassingle issued as arista 2108, states no version on the sleeve or cassingle itself, but was the full length cd/lp version running 4:58

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I own the first Japanese pressing of the "I'm Your Baby Tonight" full CD as well as a UK CD single for that track, and both contain a remix.

I have also seen german vinyl LP's with this version.

It's not labeled as a remix on any of the sources I mentioned, only on the production credits "additional production and remix by Yvonne Turner".

Its actual running time is 4:12, very close to the US 45 version.

It has a much less "US" vibe, more of a dance/90's house feel to it, much smoother than the original Babyface production.

Could this have been the 45 version outside the US?

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Since elcoleccionista's question was never answered, I'm bumping this up. Although I can't supply the answer, the official "sonybmg" account on YouTube has posted a video for the song that most likely is the version mentioned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXJ9Vhvgfw
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While we're on the subject, can anyone confirm the run time of the US vinyl 45? A listing on discogs.com claims that the US 45 has a run time of (4:13). There might be more than one US pressing of the 45, or the run time might be drastically different than what's printed on the label. It's also possible that the listing on discogs is a non-US 45, erraneously listed as a US pressing.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

My stock copy has a listed time of 5:00. There was a promo 45, which had the 5:00 version on one side and a 4:15 (listed time) on the other.
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

cmmmbase wrote:
My stock copy has a listed time of 5:00.

If you are able to time it, that might help solve part of the mystery. So far, it is unknown for certain if the 5:00 printed time is correct or not. Thanks, Chuck!

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 and cassingle issued as arista 2108 states a run time on the label as 5:00 but actually runs 4:58....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
my commercial 45 and cassingle issued as arista 2108

AHA! Thank you, Ed! I'm noticing what the problem is with the discogs listing. The catalog number of the 45 is Arista 113 594, which is obviously NOT a US pressing. Thank you for confirming the run time and for posting the catalog number.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 3:18am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

It's mentioned above that some import singles contain a remix of this song - though they don't mention if it's the main mix (like track 1) or an extended mix that comes after track 1. I just found something interesting. According to this video, a very different mix was the main mix used for Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-jLOoz-YY

It actually comes from the official Whitney Houston page on YouTube (presumably her estate or record label) and not just some fan's page. And they label it the "European version (Official video)."

The visuals look pretty much the same (from memory) but the mix is very different. It doesn't even have the triplet-y feel that our (US) version has.

My question is - is the mix in this video one of the mixes on US promo singles? Where in the US does this "European version" exist on CD?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

The “European Version” used in the video above is definitely the UK &
Europe main single and album version. It isn’t even labeled as a remix
on their products, but conversely they refer to the US single version as
the “LA Babyface US Mix” on a couple of singles in those regions.

That non-US single version, remixed by Yvonne Turner, is a shorter
variant of the longer “Extended Mix” (listed 6:21 and runs about that
length, from memory) that the US received on commercial 12” and
cassette maxi-single A-sides. I have never seen either either the long
or short Turner UK/European mixes on commercial or promo CD in the
US, but they are easily found secondhand on import CD singles for
pretty cheap.

Edited by EternalStatic on 28 September 2020 at 4:15am
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

EternalStatic wrote:
I have never seen either the long
or short Turner UK/European mixes on commercial or promo CD in the
US, but they are easily found secondhand on import CD singles for
pretty cheap.

I imagine the Turner remix would also be on UK pressings of the full album as well. They would probably also be cheap nowadays, although the shipping might jack up the cost.

Both the US Edit on the promo CD Single and UK/European Mix run very close in length, so there could be some confusion as to which version is which (until you actually hear them, of course). I think the US Edit is just a straight edit of the US Album Version.

Edited by thecdguy on 28 September 2020 at 9:01am

Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Scanner

I bought the UK version of her 2000 "The Greatest Hits"
since it had the original versions of the uptempo songs
that the US edition did not feature. (Always wondered
why Arista did that. The people most likely to buy a
compilation are casual fans who want to hear the
original versions of the songs!) Is the IYBT featured
on this CD different than what was on the IYBT studio
album? They sound the same to me.
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2020 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Scanner wrote:
I bought the UK version of her 2000 "The Greatest Hits" since it had the original versions of the uptempo songs that the US edition did not feature. (Always wondered why Arista did that. The people most likely to buy a compilation are casual fans who want to hear the original versions of the songs!) Is the IYBT featured on this CD different than what was on the IYBT studio album? They sound the same to me.

I have the UK version of GH. I also bought it for the same reason you mentioned. I believe it was the Entertainment Weekly message boards at the time where I saw a few people (I assume from the UK) complaining that they used the US Versions of "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "So Emotional" on the UK GH, so apparently the US Album Versions were used even though it's a UK Disc/Compilation. If I understand it correctly, the Yvonne Turner remix was issued in the UK on the studio album and commercial single. Here in the US, it was only on the 12" and Cassette Maxi-Singles.

The Greatest Hits compilations in both the US and UK fade "I Will Always Love You" a few seconds early as well.

Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2020 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Scanner

Wow, I never knew there was a remixed version of this
song that was the hit version outside the US. (This
board both fascinates and flusters me sometimes
simultaneously when I learn how many versions of a song
exist that I have never been aware of for all these
years!) I just listened to the Yvonne Turner remix on
YouTube and it is not nearly as distinctive as the
version I know best.
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2020 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Scanner wrote:
Wow, I never knew there was a remixed version of this
song that was the hit version outside the US. (This
board both fascinates and flusters me sometimes
simultaneously when I learn how many versions of a song
exist that I have never been aware of for all these
years!) I just listened to the Yvonne Turner remix on
YouTube and it is not nearly as distinctive as the
version I know best.

When dealing with 90's songs generally expect at least anywhere between 2-7 versions that could have been played. The promos were crazy those years, especially from 1991 on. UK edits and even remixes were the big thing. They had to push those promos somehow.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2020 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

thecdguy wrote:

If I understand it correctly, the Yvonne Turner remix was issued in the
UK on the studio album

Hi Dan! Yes, that is my assumption as well, although my IYBT
CD is the US version so I couldn’t say for 100% sure.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Hi Eric! The Discogs page for the UK Version of the IYBT CD lists the running time of the song as 4:09 (obviously way shorter than the 5 Minute version on the US CD) and among the credits for the song there is a specific notation that says, "Producer [Additional], Remix - Yvonne Turner". So I'd say it's a safe bet that the Turner remix is what's on the UK CD. The UK CD Singles may still be the only place where you could find the Extended Remix on CD, though (the same Yvonne Turner mix, only longer and running over 6 minutes).

I'm curious about what Arista did for the UK Version of her second album, "Whitney" and what version of "So Emotional" they used on it. I believe there's another thread here somewhere in which it was stated that the "Edited Remix" was the hit version in the UK, but that version runs somewhere around 4:30 and the Discogs listing for the UK CD has the song at 4:53, longer than even the US Album Version.

75azabache
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote 75azabache

thecdguy wrote:
Hi Eric! The Discogs page for the UK Version of the IYBT CD lists the running time of the song as 4:09 (obviously way shorter than the 5 Minute version on the US CD) and among the credits for the song there is a specific notation that says, "Producer [Additional], Remix - Yvonne Turner". So I'd say it's a safe bet that the Turner remix is what's on the UK CD. The UK CD Singles may still be the only place where you could find the Extended Remix on CD, though (the same Yvonne Turner mix, only longer and running over 6 minutes).

I'm curious about what Arista did for the UK Version of her second album, "Whitney" and what version of "So Emotional" they used on it. I believe there's another thread here somewhere in which it was stated that the "Edited Remix" was the hit version in the UK, but that version runs somewhere around 4:30 and the Discogs listing for the UK CD has the song at 4:53, longer than even the US Album Version.

Hi! I have my original discs purchased here in the UK!
The UK album version does have the Yvonne Turner Remix and it's the 4.09 version which was also released as the single version here. I think the single ran a couple of seconds over that but the mix is the same.

My original 1987 release of Whitney has So Emotional running at 4.35, I know the 7" single release here was the edited remix. Hope this helps!

Back to Top View 75azabache's Profile Search for other posts by 75azabache

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version