Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jesse McCartney omission... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 April 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

The song Beautiful Soul is on the Soundtrack to A Cinderella Story, and it's listed as an "exclusive remix." I don't have the original version, so I can't compare them to distinguish how different the mix is--it sounds pretty much the same as I remember the original version sounding.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just looked at the track list for that soundtrack, and it's showing the run time as 3:54. This is 20 seconds longer than the album version, although the online sample sounds like the same mix. Perhaps this is some sort of extended version on the soundtrack.

I can provide a little extra info on the song since our station (Radio Disney) was the first to play it. The boy band Dreamstreet had broken up, leaving Jesse to do his own thing. His manager sent us an independent release with four or five cuts on it, and one of them was an early mix of "Beautiful Soul." Radio Disney decided to add the record, seeing potential in the young Jesse. The song immediately skyrocketed to the top of our request list, and our record label, Hollywood Records, immediately signed him. When the album was being produced, "Beautiful Soul" was slightly remixed and released to top 40 radio. At that point, we stopped playing the original mix and started playing the new mix.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The stand-alone single is still on iTunes and MusicGiants. The single version is called Radio Edit. I just bought it, and the actual run time is 3:15.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Brian, that is interesting that you found a single version as Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles book lists this song as an album track only release. There could have been a dj edit running (3:15) but I guess this was not the commercial single. Jim do you have a dj cd single for this song?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 April 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have a DJ copy on Hollywood Records (PRCD-11697), and it has the (3:15) Radio Edit as track 1. Track 2 is the (3:29) Album Version, and the last track is a ten-second call out hook.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Pat Downey wrote:
There could have been a dj edit running (3:15) but I guess this was not the commercial single.

The 3:15 DJ edit is the commercial single. Since there was (and is) a commercial digital single, shouldn't that be considered the "45 version"?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I don't believe there was a digital single available at the time this song charted so no I don't feel that the (3:15) version should be considered the US 45 version.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Pat Downey wrote:
I don't believe there was a digital single available at the time this song charted

It appears there was. Itunes lists the release date for the digital single as October 19, 2004. But Billboard wasn't yet incorporating digital sales into the Hot 100 at the time it was released (though it peaked on the first week sales were included), so maybe that's why Whitburn doesn't list it.

Edited by Brian W. on 01 May 2008 at 11:10am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 May 2008 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The (3:15) version was available when the song was on the charts. At the time, I was putting together content for our iTunes store, and the Radio Edit of "Beautiful Soul" was included in the Radio Disney store.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I'm not taking sides here, because I don't know precisely when "Beautiful Soul" was released as a digital single, but this controversy begs the following: If Pat is right, and the (3:15) edit of the song wasn't released as a digital single until AFTER it fell off the charts - and therefore, no mention of it will be made in the database - what about commercial (physical) singles that are known to exist in more than one form, w/ the same label/catalog no.??? For example, jimct just revived the old thread discussing Firefall's 1978 hit, "Strange Way", a single that is now known to exist commercially in at least two forms - (3:22) and (3:48), even though all labels apparently state "(3:50)". Can we determine which one was available in retail stores while the song was on the charts in late '78/early '79??? If so, then shouldn't the other be excluded from the database - i.e., dismissed as a single version??? Or is it always assumed that BOTH versions of such older singles were available while the song was still on the charts???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

You raise some good questions here, Greg... And as it now turns out, Pat has entered digital single info for "Beautiful Soul" in the database.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version