Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Walter Egan-"Magnet And Steel" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 April 2008 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 has a listed time of (3:25) and an actual time of (3:24). I only post this info because current database CDs for this song feature run times ranging from (3:18) and (3:25). I also have two little "factoids" that you might enjoy. In the late 70's/early 80's, our station's Music Director/early mentor of mine, and the guy who initially added this song to our station's playlist back in 1978, would always use this song as the "poster child" for a "mega-hyped, record company top priority", but a song that showed absolutely NO signs of life, according to both our weekly retail sales calls and our station's "request sheets" (at the time, we had an in-studio list, updated each week, which included all "current" songs we were spinning, as well as some "hot prospects" we were considering for airplay in the near future. If the on-air jock got a request for one of the songs on this list, he was supposed to "add one to its tally", so we would have some idea of both what songs were being requested, and during what time of day, to use as additional data at the next week's "music meeting.") He always said that he never received even a SHRED of evidence that "Magnet And Steel" ever had a SINGLE request come into our station, or ever sold a single 45 copy in our area. When I pointed out that it was a "certified gold single", according to my Whitburn book, he said, "I bet all of those 'sold' copies were all shipped back a month later by the stores, and are all now collecting dust in some warehouse in Terre Haute!" (which was a major Columbia pressing plant in Indiana, at the time.) Of course, this was just "one man's opinion", and who knows how much of what he said was actually fact, and how much was simply his opinion. But, as our MD, he was the "point man" in our station's "hit-song-fact-gathering" activities. I greatly respect his opinion, to this day, and he was never the type of guy who was "prone to hyperbole." All I knew was that I both bought and liked the song. I know Pat, who has previously questioned the accuracy of Billboard's Hot 100, and personally considers Cash Box to be more reliable as to a song's actual popularity (although this #8 BB hit also got to #9 in Cash Box) would enjoy this story. Also, back in the late 80's/early 90's, there happened to be a "game show" on TV ("Wheel Of Fortune", I think.) Well I'll be damned, but one of the three contestants happened to be Walter Egan. (I did recognize him, since a close-up of his face was on his "Not Shy" LP, which I owned - same guy.) When Pat Sajak asked Walter to tell the audience a little about himself, he said, "I'm a musician - I even had a hit once." Sajac skeptically said to him, "Really! Hey, Walter, why don't you go ahead and sing a line or two for us; maybe we'll recognize it!" Sure enough, Walter goes ahead and sings a quick, acappella "You are a magnet, and I am steel" for both Sajac and the studio audience. Apparently, not a SOUL, either in the audience, Sajac, or even Vanna White, had even the slightest recollection of the song (maybe if Egan had Stevie Nicks handy, it would've helped!) A perplexed Sajac then tries to transition by saying, "Well OK, Walter, welcome to Wheel Of Fortune - why don't you go ahead and give the wheel a spin!" I cracked up - EVERYONE thought Walter was completely delusional! Wonder if anyone ever captured that moment on YouTube?

Edited by jimct on 28 April 2008 at 11:26am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Fascinating stories, Jim... especially given that my wife and I nearly chose "Magnet and Steel" to be the official First Dance song at our wedding! ;-) (We still had the DJ play it during dinner.) It's funny everyone on Wheel of Fortune was so clueless about the song... Geez, I was only five or six-years-old when it came out and I remember it!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Sometimes a song's popularity, even national top 10 hits, varied greatly between regions. I can tell you that as a kid in southern Illinois, I heard the song on the radio frequently, and both myself and best friend bought the 45.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

/Putting my game show geek hat on.

Actually, the game show Egan appeared on was Scrabble. Chuck Woolery (who hosted Wheel many years earlier) was similarly clueless as Sajak would have been, however, announcer Charlie Tuna (recently retired well-known disc jockey in Los Angeles) knew of the song well (mentioning it was "Top 10").

Shameless plug--speaking of Wheel of Fortune, they were in Chicago in March to tape three weeks' worth of episodes that begin airing tonight. I was in the audience for two of the episodes (no, I was not a contestant)--those shows will air May 8 and May 9.

Edited by sriv94 on 28 April 2008 at 3:05pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Doug, your "shameless plug" happens to involve shows during the May sweeps... but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. (j/k :)

Interesting stories, Jim! "Magnet And Steel" is one of those songs that doesn't have an easy, convenient recall handle, as anyone who's ever put together callout hooks knows. The song's "ooooo-ooo-ooo-OOOOO-ooo" refrain might be more recognizable than the segment that Walter sang on the show. But he really would've needed the multipart harmony to pull that off, too. Maybe it would have worked out better for Walter if "Only The Lucky" had been his biggie. :)   So how did he fare on his Scrabble appearance?

In addition to regional variables, "Magnet" could have been one of those cases where positive callout research made up for what it might have lacked on the sales and requests sides of the aisle.

Edited by Yah Shure on 28 April 2008 at 4:13pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Doug, my friend, last week my lady and I happened to buy a new Scrabble dictionary, to bone up after a couple of narrow losses to two of my sisters, so I, too am a Scrabble fan. We now know that "phx" is a word, for example. But as for which show Egan appeared on, I had never seen the game show "Scrabble" until last month, when I stumbled upon a Game Show Network rerun, with Woolery as host. I now suspect that good ol' Walter may have been makin' the "Game Show Rounds," because I certainly would've remembered Charlie Tuna (an old DJ fave of mine) saving the day, and vouching for the song's hit status.   

Edited by jimct on 28 April 2008 at 5:05pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jimct wrote:
Doug, my friend, last week my lady and I bought a new Scrabble dictionary, to bone up after a couple of narrow losses to two of my sisters, so I am a Scrabble fan. We now know that "phx" is a word, for example. But as for which show Egan appeared, I had never seen the game show "Scrabble" until last month, when I stumbled upon a Game Show Network rerun, with Woolery a shost. I now suspect that good ol' Walter may have been makin' the "Game Show Rounds," because I certainly would've remembered Charlie Tuna (an old DJ fave of mine) saving the day, and vouching for the song's hit status.   

To be technical, Jim, GSN does not currently own the rights to air Scrabble--what you probably saw was a show called Lingo--which is a word game where people have five chances to guess a randomly generated five-letter word, then pull numbers in an effort to fill out a Bingo-styled card. Scrabble hasn't aired here since USA Network ran reruns in the mid-90s (although scattered bits and pieces are viewable on YouTube).

As for Yah Shure's question, I think Egan was only on for one or two days--so he didn't win a lot of money.

And of course, Wheel's visit was definitely a sweeps stunt, but one benefit I got was a nice conversation with long-time Wheel announcer (and also veteran DJ) Charlie O'Donnell (I had met him a couple of summers before in L.A. at an event called the Game Show Congress [I've gone the last three years, and I met Ian {torcan} at the event two years ago]). Charlie O. is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Jim's experience with Magnet and Steel shows the often dramatic difference between what active and passive radio listeners want and expect.

It was a myth that what sells in the stores and what gets a lot of requests on the phone is what most radio listeners want to hear. That's why callout research, when conducted properly, virtually guaranteed that the station using it would win the ratings battle.

We did callout in the late 70s in Dallas-Fort Worth at Z-97 when the Walter Egan tune was a hit. It did very well among radio listeners. I have no idea how well it sold, nor did I care.

Our station was programmed to attract the most radio listeners. If the music we played also boosted record sales, fine with me; but the moment a tune caused a significant number of listeners to tune out, it was gone.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

when we were playing this on the radio in 1978, nobody had heard of walter egan, but "magnet and steel" was produced by lindsey buckingham, and featured the crack rhythm section of mick fleetwood and john mcvie... how could a record featuring 3/5 of fleetwood mac go wrong back in 1978??? even chuck woolery or pat sajak could have supplied the vocals, and the "mac" would have put it over the top! who remembers walter's first album, which got him in trouble for a suggestive back cover photo, or his 1983 "almost top 40" hit, "fool moon fire?" (my station in upstate NY gave "fool" some heavy airplay)...
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

as always, jim's stories are the best......always makes me think i should have gotten into radio instead of wall street in the early 80's.....thanks jim!!!

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

jrjr wrote:
even chuck woolery or pat sajak could have supplied the vocals, and the "mac" would have put it over the top!

At least Woolery could sing. It's his voice you hear in the 1968 Avant Garde #40 hit "Naturally Stoned."

ETA: And getting back to 3/5 of Fleetwood Mac being on "Magnet And Steel," make it 4/5. Stevie Nicks is one of the female harmonizers.

Edited by sriv94 on 29 April 2008 at 1:31pm

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Roscoe wrote:
Sometimes a song's popularity, even national top 10 hits, varied greatly between regions. I can tell you that as a kid in southern Illinois, I heard the song on the radio frequently, and both myself and best friend bought the 45.

It was very popular out here in the southwest and in so. California.

BTW, are there any published Cashbox charts available?

Edited by The Hits Man on 29 April 2008 at 2:22pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Hits Man wrote:

BTW, are there any published Cashbox charts available?

Every Cash Box chart from 1950 until its demise in 1996 is on CashBox Magazine.com under "Archives."

Edited by Brian W. on 29 April 2008 at 4:30pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version