Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Show Me Love" - Robin S Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 July 2005 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I noticed that Robin S's "Show Me Love" runs 4:27 on the 1990 - Only Rock 'n Roll - 1994 CD but only clocks in at 4:12 on the Billboard Top Hits: 1993 disc. I know the 4:27 version is the hit single version, so I was curious to figure out why the song only runs 4:12 on the Billboard CD. I loaded the songs from both discs onto my computer to do an A/B comparison. The two versions are identical up until the 2:46 mark but then the remainder of the 4:12 version has very different edits from the hit single version. Thus, the Billboard disc must contain either a radio version or some sort of an alternative edit. Does anyone know what exactly this 4:12 edit is and where it comes from?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 July 2005 at 10:58pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just curious... Which version are we considering the hit version? I only have this track on radio promo compilations, and I have two different mixes. One is the "Pop Radio Mix" and one is the "Pop Power Radio Mix." The latter is the one I remember hearing most often on my local top 40 station...I believe it is an edit of one of the club mixes.

The interesting thing is that both versions on my radio discs run right around 4:12. I'll give you an exact time when I get back to my place. One more thing, the "Pop Radio Mix" is the one that has her "doh doh doh de doh" vocal looped acapella at the end, and it fades out.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's the scoop on what I have on my radio compilation discs...

"Pop Radio Mix" actual run time is 4:09. (This is the version that ends with the acapella vocal, and it's different than the mix that Todd is describing.)

"Pop Power Radio Mix" actual run time is 4:12. (This is the mix that sounds like the 4:27 LP version.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

The commercial cassette single features the "Power Pop Radio Mix" as the A-side, but Ed tells me it runs 4:28. That's interesting how this mix runs 4:09 on your radio compilation CD. Meanwhile, I believe the cassingle's B-side contains the "Pop Radio Mix".

The description you gave of the "Pop Radio Mix" does not match the 4:12 version on the Billboard CD. As the song on that disc is fading out, the final lyrics are: "You got to show me love. There's only one key to my heart". If you'd like, I can e-mail you an mp3 of it so you can compare for yourself.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 10 July 2005 at 12:52am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd, based on your description, the version on the Billboard disc matches my "Pop Power Radio Mix" on the radio compilation disc I have. It is strange how the cassette single lists the same version and has a different edit and run time.

I looked up the run time from the LP on allmusic.com. They list the run time as 4:29, and the song sample sounds like the "Pop Power Radio Mix." By the way, this mix is a short version of the "Stonebridge Club Mix" (which is called "Extended Mix" on the full-length CD).

So, here's what it's looking like:

- "Stonebridge Club Mix" on CD-maxi and "Extended Version" on full-length CD are the same.

- "LP Version" (track 1 on the full-length CD) and "Pop Power Radio Mix" from the cassette single are the same, running 4:28. (This is a short version of the "Stonebridge Club Mix.")

- "Pop Power Radio Mix" on the promo single is included on Billboard Top Hits 1993 and runs 4:12. (This is also a short version of the "Stonebridge Club Mix" but a different edit.)

The "Pop Radio Mix" is a completely different mix, and sounds nothing like the one we've been discussing.

Again, I only have this track on the radio compilations, so I don't have the full-length CD, cassette single, or the actual promo CD single for comparisons. But based on the run times of the CD and the info Todd & Ed supplied, those are my conclusions.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for nicely summing this all up for us, Aaron. As far as the 10th edition is concerned, it looks like the Billboard Top Hits: 1993 CD and probably all other discs containing the 4:12 version should receive the comment: "radio edit" or "DJ edit".

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 July 2005 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have the dj cd single of "Show Me Love" Big Beat/Atlantic PRCD 5091 and there are 5 tracks on there:
1) Jo Jo Venus Super Edit 4:26
2) Power Radio Mix 4:12 (which is the version on the Billboard Top Hits 1993 cd)
3) Remix edit 4:09 which is the version with the acapella ending
4) Stonebridge Club Mix (7:43)
5) Nick Nice Eagle Mix (5:29)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2005 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

sounds like the promo cd single dosen't contain the commercial single version!!!!

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just obtained the cassette single of "Show Me Love which is called the "power pop radio edit" and it is identical to the LP version and it is identical to track 1 of the promo promo cd single which is called the "Jo Jo Venus Super Edit". Three different names for the identical track!
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat: That is just an INCREDIBLE job of detective work by you. Where else but on this Board/your database would ANY of us had EVER found out about this same version's now three "known aliases"! Thank you!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Moderator wrote:
I have the dj cd single of "Show Me Love" Big Beat/Atlantic PRCD 5091 and there are 5 tracks on there:
1) Jo Jo Venus Super Edit 4:26
2) Power Radio Mix 4:12 (which is the version on the Billboard Top Hits 1993 cd)
3) Remix edit 4:09 which is the version with the acapella ending
4) Stonebridge Club Mix (7:43)
5) Nick Nice Eagle Mix (5:29)
That was the second promo CD single issued for "Show Me Love." There is also a sticker on the above-stated promo CD single's jewel case, stating "contains the Hot new mix by Jo Jo Venus." The info I report now comes from an earlier-issued promo CD single, PRCD 5003. 4 versions:

1-Power Pop Radio Mix (listed 4:13; actual 4:12)
2-Pop Radio Mix (listed and actual 4:09)
3-Stonebridge Club Mix (listed and actual 7:43)
4-Nick Nice Eagle Mix (listed and actual 5:29)

This could explain why Aaron had cuts 1 & 2 appear on his radio comps - they appear to have been released on a promo first, before "Jo Jo Venus."
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cassingle issued as big beat 10118 contains, as the A-side, the "power pop radio mix" which runs 4:27......the second track on the cassingle is the "pop radio mix"......the db has a few 4:27 version listed, are these versions the "power pop radio mix" and are the album versions the same as the "power pop radio mix"?......

Edited by edtop40 on 18 February 2008 at 7:52pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
are the album versions the same as the "power pop radio mix"?......

Yes, sir, they are.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have a version from Now, Volume 24 (UK) that fades out at 3:20 or so...

Sounds exactly like the Power Pop Mix too. Was the UK version an early fade...or, a UK DJ edit?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version