Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: California Sun - Rivieras Stereo ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BudB
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 March 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote BudB

Local station is playing in stereo. Does anyone know where to find this on CD? The station has lost its source.
Back to Top View BudB's Profile Search for other posts by BudB

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Would you by chance be the world famous Bud Buschardt?

As a former radio deejay, I've admired your work for many years...if it's you. :)

My copy is mono, but now I'll start searching for STEREO!

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hello Bud,

The stereo version of that hasn't actually appeared on a commercial CD anywhere. It is a synch-up type of mix that has been passed around a lot on cdr's. Some also call these "DES" (Digitally extracted stereo).

-Mark M
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Mark:

I just came across a copy online of what sounds exactly like DES.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

MMathews wrote:
The stereo version of that hasn't actually appeared on a commercial CD anywhere. It is a synch-up type of mix that has been passed around a lot on cdr's. Some also call these "DES" (Digitally extracted stereo).

However, a sync up to create a stereo effect isn't a DES if nothing has been extracted from the mix and added to the opposite channel...but, it is a great stereoized attempt at the song, and probably as close to the real thing as anyone will ever hear.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

How does someone create a DES if all they have to work with is a mono track?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote jimct

For as long as I've been communicating with AaronK at his "Texas World Headquarters", Aaron has often sung the praises of his friend/longtime radio vet/owner of a extensive music collection, "Bud". I now know that this topic was "that" Bud's first post to Pat's Board. I'd like to officially welcome Bud to our "family", and sincerely thank him for all of the "behind-the-scenes" assistance that he's provided to our stalwart Board expert, AaronK, over the past many months, while Aaron investigated/solved so many "version issues" for all of us. Thanks for all the help to Aaron, Bud, and it's truly a pleasure that you've decided to officially join our ranks! I'm anxiously looking forward to both reading/benefitting from your vast pool of music knowledge, and all that you obviously bring to the table, Bud. Welcome!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi all,

I'll also send up a wave of welcome to Bud!

For Tom: (Hi Tom! Tom and I go way back to the BSN Stereo chat board ...) Yes, there are some distinctions between synch-ups, and what you or I might call "DES" but over the years i found that trying to split hairs about the differences didn't work well, so i gave up.

For Aaron: Well, each track can be a different story. Since I created the "California Sun" mix i'll explain that one. (yes, i left out that the first cdr of that originated with me ;-)

It's a simple repeating arrangement, the music they play for the instrumental intro repeats thru-out the song. So I took segments from the intro and the middle break, and edited them all together to make an "instrumental" of the entire song. Then in the analog domain, I played both sort of "DJ style" using 2 cd players with pitch wheels (dj version of 2 turntables) to synch them together. This took many tries because I assure you the drummer's tempo in that is quite "freestyle".
Then back in the digital domain i edited together all the sections that came out in best synch. The stereo reverb was added by the board i was using when synching them.
The result sounds much like a stereo synch-up of the vocal version with an instrumental version, a method done many times back in the analog era when there was no multi-track, but someone located an undubbed instrumental track for a song. I did not invent the idea, but it inspired me to try it on a lot of stuff.
It's merely a cool way to hear what it might have sounded like in stereo.
This particular one i made in 1998. (wow, where did 10 years go!).

Now, the term "DES" got coined when this and other mixes started surfacing in the computer sound editor age. Digital extraction implies some kind of digital filter was used to "extract" a vocal or other elements from a mix to create an illusion of stereo. This method has met much criticism because it often leaves behind artifacts that make the music sound strange.
Synch-ups tend to sound more believable because usually that only adds an "echo" or a delay of some type - which was common anyway in 1960's stereo mixes.

But, I've rambled on enough..i hope some of that explanation was helpful!

-Mark M

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks very much for that explanation, Mark... It's great to have your expertise here as the pioneer of the "California Sun" stereo sync-up!

Now, would some generous soul tell me how I might be able to obtain the sync-up as a wave file?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi Todd,

No problem at all. Send me an email and i'll get it to you through one of the upload services.

-MM

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version