Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 March 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Even though this song only charted at, I think, #68 in Billboard in 1977, was interested in the edit points to create the 45 version from the LP version. Could anyone assist?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It appears that you can't exactly recreate the 45 from the LP version.

I have the 45 on Atco 7079, top-half yellow label, printed and actual times of 3:25. (I didn't realize "Solsbury Hill" was produced by Bob Ezrin, the same guy who did The Wall, The Kings Are Here, Berlin's Count Three And Pray, and plenty of other pop gems.)

I have the LP version Shaking The Tree (Geffen, 1990, runs 4:20 and just about tracks into next selection) and on Classic Rock 1966-1988 (Atlantic, 1988, runs 4:19). Shaking The Tree has a much brighter EQ than the Atlantic compilation, but the Atlantic comp sounds much closer to what my Atco 45 sounds like.

My timings are from Classic Rock, but they may be a little off due to a read error on the CD. Nonetheless, here are the two edit points I could figure out:

Keep 0:00.0-0:05.2 of the LP version. If I use the three opening guitar notes to count down to beat number 1, then edit on beat number 8.
Remove the 21 beats from 0:05.2-0:17.5.
Keep 0:17.5-2:21.9 of the LP version.
For the line "grab your things, I've come to take you home" - if "home" is beat number 1, then edit on beat number 15.
Remove the 14 beats from 2:21.9-2:29.4.
Keep 2:29.4-3:19.0 of the LP version.
For the line "keep my things, they've come to take me home", note the word "home"...

And this is where you run into trouble. On the LP mix, right after "home", there's some crazy left-right panning. On my 45, there's no panning - it's just down the middle. There's no other word "home" to cut to, either.

Even worse is that the fun, childish ad-libs on the 45 are different than on the LP. I couldn't find the proper segment in the LP version to replicate what's on the 45.

If you want to wing it and come as close as you can, if that last "home" is beat number 1, then there's ad libbing until beat number 29, and a fade from beats 29 to 43.

I apologize for the odd timing directions - blame Mr. Gabriel for the crazy time signature. (7/4?) Brilliant record, though...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

WOW, Extremely appreciate the editing instructions!! Unfortunately, looks as though I'll have to hunt down the 45.

I HAVE seen some CD singles of the song with a 3:24 length track 1. There's also a full-length live version, too. Am I to presume the 3:24 track is merely an edit of the live version, OR, is it actually the stock 45 version from 1977?

Anyone!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Good question. My stock 45 is from 1977. There was a 1982 live album, and a live version was released as a single from it, with a time of 3:58. I doubt that it was further edited to match the 1977 45 time, but I'm not 100% sure.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The only thing about the CD singles with the 3:24 listed "Solsbury Hill", they are PRICEY! Average is in the $40.00-$50.00 range!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Ugh... if you want, PM me and I'll send you an mp3 of my 45.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

DOH! Just ordered a promo 45. Appreciate the offer though!

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 March 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ron, wanted to thank you for your hard work and assistance with this song!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version