Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dolly Parton - 9 To 5 - INTERESTING!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 March 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I made an interesting discovery on "9 to 5" that hasn't been mentioned on this board or in the database. I found a 2nd mix of this song on CD - but I don't know if it's truly the difference between an album and single mix or if it's an alternate mix or an import mix! Here's what I know. The version of "9 To 5" on the 3-CD Dolly Parton set "Legendary" from Australia clearly has a different mix. It's much more stereo-separated -- and it's missing some vocal overdubs. It may have other differences, too, but those were the ones I immediately noticed. I guess the album for this song would be considered "9 To 5 And Other Odd Jobs", and the CD of that title has the same mix as "Greatest Hits" CD. But I don't have the LP or the 45, so I can't determine what the deal is with the mix on the Australian CD. And even if the LP and 45 SEEM like the same mix, this could be another case like "Two Doors Down" where a new mix was done and put on the LP later or the 45 later. So can any detectives tell what's going on with this song? (I like having the extra separation on this 2nd mix.)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I ran across this wide-stereo, unique mix on the 1997 import CD The Best of Dolly Parton.

The regular mix has the backing vocals panned to the sides, and most of the lead vocals and instruments are closer to the center. Lead vocals have some reverb on them. The alternate mix has the instruments panned out to the sides, vocals are dry and centered.

Among the most noticeable changes though are at the end (starting at 2:20) where there's no "yeaaaah" backing vocal, and then in the fadeout, the backing vocals alternate with a clarinet(?) which is completely missing from the regular mix.

No idea when/where it originates. I was hoping there'd be a good thread about it here.

Edited by mjb50 on 28 October 2021 at 5:09am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I think this is the thread!

We never resolved where this mix came from. The earliest I'd been able to trace it back to was a CD from 1998, but you beat me by a year! We'd been assuming that it's just a previously unreleased mix that sat in a vault until 1997, but we can't confirm.

The hit version runs 2:44.

This alternate mix runs 2:58.

For all the CDs in the database, you can use the track lengths to tell the mixes apart.

Edit: Not quite. See posts below.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 29 October 2021 at 10:48am

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

On that 1997 Best Of CD, the alternate mix is shorter.

With silence on the ends, the track is mastered at a little under 2:48 total. The actual song therein runs 2:44.

Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Interesting! And unfortunate. So the 2:58 versions are definitely the alternate mix. The 2:44 versions could go either way.

The version I have runs 2:58, and seems to be from a 1998 Australian release called The Ultimate Collection. I don't actually own the disc, and Discogs doesn't list a run time, so I can't confirm 100%.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Does this mean some of the versions running 2:44 are not
the hit version? Or, all of them are the hit version?

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

John - A few posts up, we discovered an import CD with the alternate mix running at the 2:44 length. So it's certainly possible that other CDs have the alternate mix faded early to the 2:44 length, too.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I suspect the file you have was not sourced from that Australian 2xCD release.

On MusicBrainz you can see the exact layout of disc 2. Track 1 is 2:47. Likewise on gnudb (formerly freedb) you can click through the disc ID link to find the same tracks. No other pressings are in those databases. I found a lossless rip on Soulseek, and it, too, is 2:47.

Going back to MusicBrainz, you can search for Dolly Parton and click on the Recordings tab and get an exhaustive list of appearances of that song on her CDs, with durations ranging from 2:32 to 3:05. These are ostensibly different mixes but it's more likely they're just in need of some cleanup/consolidation down to the two known studio versions. Anyway you can click through the titles on those to get a bazillion appearances of each of those mixes. Happy hunting :)

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Nice that you can find stuff like this on the online databases.

For what it's worth, I have a 2:44 version of the alternate mix on Time-Life's Legendary Country Singers Vol. 13 Dolly Parton (1996).

Our database lists the following US CDs with the 2:58 version:
  • RCA's Ultimate Dolly Parton (2003)
  • RCA's Platinum & Gold Collection (2004)
  • Legacy/RCA's The Essential Dolly Parton (2005)
  • Hip-O's various-artist compilation Soundtrack Smashes Number 1's (2007)
  • Legacy/RCA's 16 Biggest Hits (2007)
  • Shout! Factory's various-artist compilation Ultimate Grammy Collection Classic Country (2008)
  • RCA's Playlist: The Very Best Of Dolly Parton (2008)
  • Sony Music Custom Marketing Group's box set Super Hits Of The 80's
  • Sony Music Commercial Music Group's Dolly Parton - Country
One other note:

RCA's Nipper's #1 Hits 1956-1986 (1989) has the hit mix, but omits the opening hi-hat and the opening beat; avoid.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 29 October 2021 at 7:18pm

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

crapfromthepast wrote:
Nice that you can find stuff like this on the online databases.

For what it's worth, I have a 2:44 version of the alternate mix on Time-Life's Legendary Country Singers Vol. 13 Dolly Parton (1996).

The one listing I have not on your list above comes from the Billboard series, (1981). Edit: ... I just noted that the BillBoard version is also 2:44...

I'm pretty sure I have all the discs in that T/L set. If I have one that isn't sealed, I'm going to listen and hear what the alternate mix sounds like. I haven't quite
gotten around to that set since I discovered the issues with one in the Patsy Cline disc. It'll give me a good reason to finish ripping all of them.

Edited by AdvprosD on 29 October 2021 at 8:34pm

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2021 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

The original Dolly Parton Greatest Hits on CD, has the
familiar mix. Sounds the same as my 45 RPM single. Do bear
in mind, the budget version for Americans, with deleted
tracks is much more common, but long out of print.

Edited by KentT on 29 October 2021 at 8:05pm

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2021 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Ron, thanks for the list.

I got a copy of the 2:58 version from Ultimate Dolly Parton, and confirmed that the 2:44 version I found is indeed an early fade of the 2:58 version.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version