Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "The Dream..." - Irene Cara Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 July 2005 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed has brought to my attention another bit of information not covered in the 10th edition of Top 40 Music on Compact Disc. The commercial 45 version of Irene Cara's "The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)" runs 4:27 and is a slightly different mix than the 4:49 LP version that appears on the What a Feelin' (Geffen 4021) disc. The 45 version has never been issued on CD.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Perhaps there were two commercial 45s put out for this one. My commercial 45 has both a listed and actual time of (4:22). Deadwax is 7-29396-BCA-2753-S-WW1. My promo 45 is one of those "intended to confuse, not enlighten" timings, similar to the Bee Gees "Edge Of The Universe". (3:49) is shown in bold print, with (Intro :11) above it, and (Fade :21) below it, both in microscopic print. Adding up :11 + 3:49 + :21, it comes out to (4:21), but my stopwatch gets me the same (4:22) time I found for my stock 45. Ed, could you provide deadwax info for your (4:27) commercial 45 version?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim, I'm glad you brought this up because it looks like I made an error with the run time I initially reported. A while back, Ed sent me an mp3 of his Irene Cara "The Dream (Hold on to Your Dream)" commercial 45. I've re-examined it and it turns out the correct run time is indeed 4:22, as Jim reports. I see where I made my error... I had pinpointed the end of the 45 to be at the 4:27 mark of my mp3, but forgot to subract the :05 of vinyl groove silence that precedes the spot where the recording begins on the mp3. Thanks, Jim. Pat, please make a note of the new run time.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I just found a Canadian Import CD of Irene Cara's "What A Feelin" CD, on Unidisc SPLK-7299. This CD contains 15 tracks, with the last few being extended versions of "Breakdance", "Flashdance...", and "The Dream". To my ears, tape sources have been used for ALL tracks. I wonder if perhaps the "Dance Remix" of "The Dream", found on this CD, could possibly be used to create the "elusive-to-date, 45 version", from a CD source?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just had a chance to do a comparison of the 45 version and the "Dance Remix" of "The Dream," and unfortunately, they are different mixes. The 45 version remains elusive!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version