Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: dan baird "i love you period" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 March 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cassingle issued as def american 18724 contains a non descibed version, on the A-side, which runs 4:24....the cassingle's sleeve does NOT state a version but the cassingle itself states the version is the "album version"......BUT.....this is a slightly edited version of the song from the cd

(S) (4:23) Def American 26999 Love Songs For The Hearing Impaired   

the first second and a half is edited off the cd version to start the song on the downbeat of the drum, and the song is faded for 0:01 to INCLUDE the guitar slide during the fade out, but not the beginning of the next track......aaron was kind enough to send me a wave file of the version of the song he has from a cd of his, but it ISN'T the correct version, either......his version edits off completely the guitar slide at the end....this info should be noted in the db.....i've also included a scan of the cassingle and sleeve as well

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed:

I have Dan Baird's "I Love You Period" on the various artists CD 1990 - #1 Radio Hits - 1994 (JCI 3197), which has a run time of 4:20. The intro on this CD starts off with two snare drum hits before the electric guitars kick in (though I can actually detect a tiny fraction of a second of keyboards right before the first drum hit which suggests the intro was obviously edited from somewhere). However, the song ends with a quick fade and I do not hear a guitar slide at the end.

Ed, does this match the description of the 45 version except for the missing guitar slide at the very end? If so, then perhaps the database should state a comment to this effect next to the 1990 - #1 Radio Hits - 1994 CD.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 19 September 2009 at 11:26pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

paul...i just sent you a mp3 file of the cassingle version for your review....let me know if any of the cds you have match the cassingle version.....thx

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have the same CD, Todd. So, would a comment be 'LP version faded early?"
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks to some assistance from Ed who supplied me with an mp3 of his cassingle version as promised, I compared it to the version on the 1990 - #1 Radio Hits - 1994 CD and here's what I come up with...

The cassette single starts right at the point where the first snare drum hit begins. But on the #1 Radio Hits CD, approximately .3 seconds of a trailing keyboard note can be heard before the first snare drum hit begins, as I pointed out previously. In other words, it appears the audio engineer of the #1 Radio Hits disc tried to edit the album version to match the 45 version, but didn't quite manage to remove the entire keyboard note at the very beginning.

The cassette single and #1 Radio Hits CD are otherwise exactly the same until the very end when the CD fades out approximately :03 sooner than the cassette. As Ed pointed out, there is a final guitar slide on the cassingle before the song ends cold. This final guitar slide does not appear on the #1 Radio Hits disc due to the early fade.

My conclusion:

The #1 Radio Hits CD should have the comment: "edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt at re-creating the 45 version".

The other database CDs containing "I Love You Period" should have an "LP version" comment next to them.

Currently, the database has the following comment regarding the cassette single:

(the cassette single states "album version" on the cassette but it is not the "album version" as it edits the introduction and fades sooner than the LP)

I'm not sure this description is entirely accurate because I'm under the impression the cassette fades out later, not sooner, than the LP. Pat, I will shoot out an mp3 copy of Ed's cassette single dub and try to get your opinion on all this as well.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The label of my U.S. commercial vinyl single states "Album Version", but matches Ed's description of the cassette single.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed supplied me with a cassette single dub of "I Love You Period" and I can confirm it runs 4:24, as Ed pointed out in his initial post.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version