Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Boston -More Than A Feeling Edits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 July 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Hi all,

I'm trying to construct the 3.25 45 edit of "More Than A Feeling" edit. Has anyone done this, or anyone familiar with the cuts? I'm not sure if I've even heard it!

Thanks for any tips - Eric
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2005 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not sure where the edits are, but the 45 version is available on several CDs. If you haven't picked up a copy of Top 40 Music On CD, it's a good investment. It lists darn near every CD appearance of "More Than A Feeling" (and every other top 40 hit), and it will tell you what CDs the 45 version is on.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The database notes that "More Than A Feeling" runs slow on Millennium Classic Rock; however, I've found that other CDs with "45 version" but without a "runs slow" comment run at the same pitch. For instance, Rock: The Train Kept A Rollin' seems to run at the same pitch as the album version, and from an online sample, Forever Pop Vol. 2 sounds like the album pitch, too.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just did a careful comparison of the version found on Millennium Classic Rock with the actual 45. This CD should have the comment "unsuccessful attempt at creating the 45 version." The producer of this compilation has placed the edit in the wrong spot, so the first chorus is not the correct one. You can tell, because the sustained electric guitar before the first chorus fades completely out before the line "it's more than a feeling." On the 45's first chorus (which is the second chorus on the LP version), the sustained guitar overlaps the vocal.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Aaron, does your 45's pitch match the faster pitch on the T-L The Late 70s CD?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The 45's pitch is almost 2% faster than the album version, if that helps.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just FYI -

The same analog transfer is used for Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - Late '70s (1993), Guitar Rock - Classics (1994), and Gold And Platinum Vol. 3 (1997; differently EQ'd digital clone of Late '70s, and the best-sounding of the bunch). All use the same edits (obviously), and have pretty similar sound quality.

I didn't check to see what's used on Sony's Rock: Train Kept A Rollin' from 1999.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Are the Time Life 45 edits correct?

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I think they are, based on you saying that on the 45 version the guitar overlaps the vocal on the first chorus. It overlaps for sure on the The Late 70s CD.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Another 45 I have to find.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Did we ever settle this with respect to the Rock: The Train Kept A Rollin' pitch? It's now noted as the 45 version along with the T-L Sounds Of The Seventies -
Late '70s
disc, but the T-L version has the faster pitch and runs four seconds less.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2016 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

So Jim (thank you again, kind sir) sent me a dub of his promo, which matches the T-L pitch. So the Soundtrack for a Century versions still need to be reconciled as
either "45 version but slower" or "edit of LP version in an unsuccessful attempt to recreate the 45." But they are not exactly the 45.

Edited by sriv94 on 30 March 2016 at 4:28pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2016 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

"More Than A Feeling" is a great-sounding record, but not great in the audiophile sense of the word.   It's   crank-it-up-rea l-loud-till-you-blow-ou t-the-one-speaker-in-the-center-of-your-dashbaord great. Or memorable-air-band-appearance-in-the-TV-show-Scrubs great. Or inspiration-for-Nirvana's-Smells-Like-Teen-Spirit great. But it's mixed a little weird. It's pretty heavily compressed (the good analog kind of compression, like the Motown records). There's no "best" setting for the EQ - the masterings I've heard emphasize the guitars, or the bass, or the vocals, but not all together. I heard the same thing with "You Spin Me Round" by Dead Or Alive, which also is a compressed wall of sound with an odd EQ.

LP version

The oldest CD I have the LP version on is the single-artist Boston (copyright 1976), where it runs 4:45. There may be multiple masterings of the first Boston album on CD; mine is Epic EK 34188, matrix number 1A EK34188 37 C1. I think it sounds pretty good, or possibly as good as this song will sound on CD. The same analog transfer is used for:
  • Sony's Feel The Love (1994; absolute polarity inverted, which doesn't affect sound quality)
  • Skifan Iceland's 2-CD Pottþétt Rokk (1997; digitally exactly 0.56 dB quieter)
  • Warner Special Products' 1970's Classic Rock (1999; digitally exactly 4.5 dB quieter)
There's a different analog transfer on Silver Eagle/Capitol's 3-CD Formula 45 (1988), which doesn't quite sound as good as Boston.

There's one more analog transfer on Razor & Tie's 2-CD Those Rocking '70s (1991), which has a really boomy EQ and sounds pretty bad. There's a differently-EQ'd digital clone on Sony's Rock N' 70's (1993).

45 version

The 45 is edited from the LP version, and pitched up about 1.8%.

The 45 version (proper edit and proper speed) appears on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 34 Late '70s (1993), where it runs 3:23, and sounds pretty good. The same analog transfer is used for:
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 10 Classics (1994)
  • Time-Life's Gold And Platinum Vol. 3 (1997; differently-EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 4 More Than A Feeling (2006; digitally identical to Guitar Rock Vol. 10 Classics)
There are a few CDs that have the proper 45 edit, but run at the LP speed:
  • Sony's Forever Pop Vol. 2 (1995)
  • Sony's 2-CD Rock Train Kept A Rollin' (1999)
And finally, one disc that has the edit in the wrong place, and lets it run out to the LP ending rather than fading early:
  • Rhino's Millennium Classic Rock Party (1999)
Avoid the Rhino disc for this song.

Here are editing instructions for recreating the 45 edit, using the LP version on Boston as the source. After you make your edit and fade, you'll need to pitch up by 1.8%.

Segment 1
Ends exactly one beat after slashing guitars come in right before the chorus, on a snare hit, at the beginning of a 4-snare-hit drum fill
Extends from 0:00.0 to 0:42.2 of the LP version on Boston
Extends from 0:00.0 to 0:42.2 of the 45 edit if you don't adjust the pitch
Extends from 0:00.0 to 0:40.9 of the 45 edit on Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 34 Late '70s, which is pitched up by about 1.8%

Remove the 124 beats (snare-to-snare) from 0:42.2 to 1:50.9 of the LP version on Boston

Segment 2
Starts on a snare hit, at the beginning of a 4-snare-hit drum fill
Extends from 1:50.9 to 4:34.8 of the LP version on Boston
Extends from 0:42.2 to 3:26.0 of the 45 edit if you don't adjust the pitch
Extends from 0:40.9 to 3:24 of the 45 edit on Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 34 Late '70s, which is pitched up by about 1.8%

Fade
20 beats long
Starts and ends on a downbeat
Extends from 4:23.8 to 4:34.8 of the LP version on Boston
Extends from 3:15.0 to 3:26.0 of the 45 edit if you don't adjust the pitch
Extends from 3:11.0 to 3:24 of the 45 edit on Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 34 Late '70s, which is pitched up by about 1.8%

My recommendation for the LP version: Epic's single-artist Boston

My recommendation for the 45 edit: Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 34 Late '70s (1993)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 14 September 2016 at 6:28am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version