Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: bell biv devoe--word to the mutha Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 July 2005 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

anyone know if there was a usa promo cd single issued for this song from 1991.......the only cd sgl i can find is a uk issue.......

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ed:

Joel Whitburn shows "Word to the Mutha!" as only an album cut in his Top Pop Singles 1955-1999 book, so a promo CD single probably does not exist for this song.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, TM Century issued the song in two different versions on their HitDisc series for radio stations. The mixes they issued were "Radio Mentality with Rap" and "Radio Mentality Without Rap," which leads me to believe that there was a promo single.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

that might not be completely true because both of those versions are on the uk cd sgl issued in 1991 on mcstd 1587

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You're right, TM could have pulled the songs from an import single; however, those HitDiscs were released on 7/26/1991 and 8/30/1991 respectively, which I'm assuming is before the song hit the charts (since TM usually always services songs to radio before they're commercially released and become radio hits). I'm only drawing my conclusion based on this evidence, but I have no proof that a promo single actually exists.

Edited by aaronk on 08 July 2005 at 4:42pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

you might be right about that because "word to tha mutha" debuted on the billboard airplay chart on 9/28/91

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
Well, TM Century issued the song in two different versions on their HitDisc series for radio stations. The mixes they issued were "Radio Mentality with Rap" and "Radio Mentality Without Rap," which leads me to believe that there was a promo single.

If a song was never made available on a commercial single format, Whitburn will usually indicate in his Top Pop Singles book if a promo single was issued for that particular song. He doesn't specifically list one for "Word to the Mutha!", which is why I suspect one may not exist.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 08 July 2005 at 11:38pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

www.gemm.com lists a handful of CD singles, but it's hard to say which are promo singles and which are commercial singles without actually e-mailing the sellers. Most of the sellers who have the CD in stock are overseas, but I've seen several of these overseas sellers end up with copies of US promo singles before. I guess a good way to find out is to ask them :)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 March 2007 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was able to obtain a copy of the mixes from HitDisc to compare with the UK import CD single versions. The "Radio Mentality without Rap" (4:12) is identical to the same version on the import CD single that Ed mentions.

The "Radio Mentality WITH Rap" is a different version than what's on the import single, though. The HitDisc version runs (4:49), and it is not simply just a longer fade. This version has a different intro, too, when compared with the (3:50) import CD single version.

In doing some research, I found that a promo 12" exists containing the longer (4:50 listed) "with rap" version. I can say with 100% certainty that the version on HitDisc is NOT a vinyl dub. There is absolutely no trace of vinyl noise or noise reduction on their copy, and I have been able to spot even their best vinyl dubs.

While it is still a mystery where their versions come from, we can at least rule out that it isn't the UK import single; however, one of the other import singles (Japan, Germany) may contain the longer "with rap" mix.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 September 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just today, I e-mailed an eBay seller about the Japanese CD single for "Word To The Mutha," and he confirmed that the run times are 4:14 and 4:53. Apparently, the Japan and UK CD singles have different "with rap" mixes, which would explain where TM Century got their copies!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, until last week, I was in agreeance that there was no promo CD single issued. I now hold in my hand a US promo copy on MCA CD45-1637. It's housed in a standard jewel case with front and back inserts and contains the following six tracks:

1. Radio Mentality Without Rap (4:14)
2. Radio Mentality With Rap (4:50)
3. Club Mentality (6:40 - actual 6:38)
4. Acapella (4:50)
5. Instrumental (4:40)
6. Suite (4:40)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron, can you check your run time again from the promo cd single you list above as i have the uk import cd single issued as mca mcstd 1587 with the below listed tracks...specifically the "with rap" version....you show the run time as 4:50...should it be 3:50 like my cd single?

1-radio metality with rap (3:50 listed; 3:50 actual)
2-club mentality (6:37 listed; 6:37 actual)
3-radio mentality without rap (4:12 listed; 4:12 actual)
4-instrumental (4:38 listed; 4:38 actual)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 January 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed, there are two different "with rap" versions. The only one released in the US is the longer 4:50 version, which is not a typo. It's a different edit than the import version, and not merely a longer fade.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

understood, thanks for checking....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version