Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Cher - "Love And Understanding" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 02 February 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Does anyone have promo CD single info for this song?

I have the LP version from Love Hurts on the jukebox collection Spotlight On Hits Pop Vol. 1 and on the commercial 45 (Geffen GEFS7-19023; clearly labeled "LP Version"; printed 4:43, actual about 4:41).

I expected to find the LP version on one of my other jukebox collections, Hot Hits Vol. 6, but instead I found an edited version running 4:08.

It's an easy edit:

Keep 0:00.0-3:50.3 of the LP version.
Edit on the snare immediately after the end of the word "understanding".
Remove the 64 beats from 3:50.3-4:23.2.
Keep 4:23.2-4:44.4 (end) of LP version.

Your mixdown will run 4:11.5 with an edit at 3:50.3.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 February 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ron, my computer has been down for over a week now, and it will probably not be back from the shop for another week or so. I'm using my sister's computer now, just trying to catch up a little, until I'm back up and running. I'm sure I have the promo CD single back at home, and I'll provide you with the usual details as soon as I'm back up and running.

Edited by jimct on 06 February 2008 at 9:10pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim, glad to see you back...
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ron, here at long last, is my promised promo CD single info for you:

Cher-"Love And Understanding" (PRO-CD-4246)
1-Edit (listed & actual 4:08)
2-LP Version (listed 4:43; actual 4:41)
3-AC Version (listed 4:38; actual 4:37)

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

here, here, regarding having jim back.....

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Indeed! Welcome back!
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ditto! It's great to have Jim back with us!

Like a number of Geffen's promo CD singles from the early '90s, "Love and Understanding" includes an "AC Version". Jim, I know your specialty isn't comparing and contrasting CD tracks, but do you detect any significant differences upon casual listen between the AC Version and LP Version? My experience with cases like this is, sometimes there is a mix difference... But sometimes they're the same mix but a different edit... And sometimes there's virtually no difference between the two at all!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, I assume that you already own the "LP Version" of the song on CD. As soon as I can, I will shoot out to you the "AC Version", for your expert ear to personally compare and contrast with the LP Version, and then report back to us.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim:

Yes, I do have the 45/LP version on CD, so please feel free to send me the "AC Version" for analysis at your convenience.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks to Jim's help, I've analyzed and evaluated the AC Version and the LP Version of "Love and Understanding". There are two main differences between them...

1) The LP Version contains electric guitar in a couple of passages, notably from 2:22-2:23 and 2:40-2:44, that are mixed way down to an almost inaudible level at the same points on the AC Version.

2) The AC Version edits out a portion of the strings heard at the end of the LP Version. This accounts for the :04 run time difference between the two versions.   

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2010 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The database now contains promo single info for Cher's "Love and Understanding". I thought I'd also pass along that the cassette single contains the "LP Version" and runs 4:41 (track description and timing info are courtesy of edtop40). Crap reported in his initial post that his commercial vinyl 45 runs 4:41, so it appears all commercial single copies are this same length.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2010 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

There is still one thing about this song that has me puzzled. The former Mrs. Bono, Allman, etc. keeps singing "There's one thing there's just not enough of: Not enough love and understanding."

Aren't those two things??
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

maybe it's all the drugs from the 60's catching up with her!!

cherbette
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote cherbette

That would be true had Cher done drugs in the 60's :) In fact, she said the only drug she ever tried was pot a few times and it wasn't "for her". Sonny Bono even made an anti-drug documentary in 1968 rendering the duo as completely un-cool at the time :)
Back to Top View cherbette's Profile Search for other posts by cherbette

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Well, i had to chime in on the wording and grammar issue. Now, let's take as a given that rock and roll and pop songs have had, shall we say, "license" for horrible or questionable grammar since forever.

That being said, i can only guess that the songwriter's intention there was that the 2 things be taken as a "collective" single item. Or, maybe just "love" was more important part and they were trying to tack on "understanding" at the last minute? (a bit greedy if you ask me...)
But really, that's a small infraction for the grammar police in music, i feel.

If you REALLY want to drive yourself crazy, start taking note of how many songs the singer switches from 1st person to third person, and back again. We once started a list, but it turned out, there were too many! We lost track. It is SO common.
One example; Survivor's "High On You"... he sings to us in all the verses "let me tell ya about the girl i met last night"... but then in the choruses he's not High On Her, he's "High On YOU."
So is he singing the song to ME or HER? :-D   [LOL]
Once you notice it, you'll find many songs have this 1st person/3rd person issue. I find it amusing...

we now return you to the "Love And Understanding" edits thread....

MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 August 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

MMathews wrote:
Well, i had to chime in on the wording and grammar issue. Now, let's take as a given that rock and roll and pop songs have had, shall we say, "license" for horrible or questionable grammar since forever.

That being said, i can only guess that the songwriter's intention there was that the 2 things be taken as a "collective" single item. Or, maybe just "love" was more important part and they were trying to tack on "understanding" at the last minute? (a bit greedy if you ask me...)
But really, that's a small infraction for the grammar police in music, i feel.

If you REALLY want to drive yourself crazy, start taking note of how many songs the singer switches from 1st person to third person, and back again. We once started a list, but it turned out, there were too many! We lost track. It is SO common.
One example; Survivor's "High On You"... he sings to us in all the verses "let me tell ya about the girl i met last night"... but then in the choruses he's not High On Her, he's "High On YOU."
So is he singing the song to ME or HER? :-D   [LOL]
Once you notice it, you'll find many songs have this 1st person/3rd person issue. I find it amusing...

we now return you to the "Love And Understanding" edits thread....

MM

Ha - very true about the wording/grammar found in many song lyrics! In fact, it often confused me as a kid back in the '70s; I didn't understand about "artistic license" at the time, although I'd learned by the time "High on You" hit in '85. Oh, and funny you should pick that song, as I just went to see former Survivor frontman Jimi Jamison do a show all of 12 days ago (first time seeing him live, although I did see & meet the members of Survivor w/ original lead singer Dave Bickler several times in the late '90s/early '00s). Of course, he did perform "High on You", along w/ all four of the other top 40 hits he had w/ Survivor ("I Can't Hold Back", "The Search is Over", "Burning Heart", "Is This Love"). And although it was Survivor's one big hit from the Bickler era, JJ still does "Eye of the Tiger" as well, since it was clearly a necessity in concert after he joined the band in '84, and many casual fans probably don't realize it wasn't him on the original. In fact, after hearing me holler for some lesser-known songs of his from the '80s and realizing what a fan I was (it got him talking to the crowd between songs about how he and his band Cobra opened for Quiet Riot for most dates on the latter's "Metal Health" tour in '83), he specifically waved me to the front of the stage during "EOTT" (his final song of the night) and stuck the mic in my face to let me sing one of the choruses, lol. Needless to say, it was a great show, and he really is a fantastic singer; he clearly had fun that night. He even came out to meet the fans afterward, and I got to speak w/ him for a bit (and although he didn't have a hand in writing "High on You", you could've asked him about those lyrics THEN, lol). By all means, catch him if he ever plays a town near you - hard to believe he'll be turning 60 later this month!

"I know you want me/
I know you care/
I'm over here/   <--- left channel
You're over there/   <--- right channel
You know I want you/
'Cause you're the best/
Hang on a minute/
I'll get undressed/
(Yes!...Yes!...Yes! Yes! Yes! No!)"

(clues: 1980; female vocals)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Funny reading this old thread again! Well, even if Cher says there's only one thing there's not enough of, I can definitely say there are two promo CD singles. I just obtained the second promo:

PRO-CD-4296
1. 12" Dance Mix (listed 5:25; actual 5:28)
2. 12" Dance Mix/Edit (listed 4:40; actual 4:30)
3. House Of Love Mix (listed 5:45; actual 5:48)

This promo has a custom sticker on the front of the jewel case that says "remixes by Junior Vasquez."

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version