Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 June 2005 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

AMAZING! Here's another song that I never noticed had two mixes. The first mix of "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" by Belinda Carlisle can be found on Billboard Top Hits 1987, and to me this does NOT sound like the version I remember.

The other mix can be found on More Pure 80s and there are several differences I can point out:

1 - This mix sounds much more "compressed" than the other one.
2 - Belinda's lead vocal in the opening chorus is mixed farther forward, and all the vocals are a bit "hotter" in the mix & sound like they have more reverb.
3 - There's a synthesizer that builds in the first chorus right before the drums kick in (it's kind of in the background, but it's there). This synth is not present at all in the other version.
4 - In the opening chorus, there is no bass guitar pluck on the "ooh heaven" right before the drums kick in. There is one in the other version.
5 - When the first verse starts, there's a guitar that is quite noticable in the other mix, whereas it's hardly present in this version.

To me, the one on More Pure 80s sounds like the one I'm most familiar with. I have the 45 packed away at my parents' house, so if anyone has it accessible, perhaps you could verify which mix is the 45 mix. Is the one on Top Hits 1987 perhaps the LP Version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Aaron I hear what you are hearing and the 45 and LP mix seem to be the same so the Rhino cd that you mentioned needs the comment "remixed" added to it.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

is it possible that the different echoes and such are just from remastering and that the two ARE the same except for the remastering which would bring out subtle nuassances

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Take a listen for yourself. It's definitely two different mixes. Check points 3 & 4 above...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Many cd appearances of "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" are the remixed version that Aaron is mentioning. Since I just had to go through every cd that includes this song I can tell you that there are 10 cd's with this remixed version.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just did and a/b comparison of the 45 and the version from her cd "her greatest hits" issued in 1992 on mca and they are identical..........no echoes or drum differences at all........which cd are you comparing the 45 to?????

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40, check the Billboard Top Hits 1987 if you have it.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

don't have that one.....is it really that different??

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It's not drastically different. It's kind of like the discussion on Martika's "Toy Soldiers." If you listen carefully to the two different mixes, you can definitely tell. If it's on in the background casually, you probably wouldn't think twice about it.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

It's an unusual for Rhino to use an alternate mix, especially for something like a Billboard Top Hits 1987, since their policy is to use single mixes in general. So -- does anyone know if this alternate mix is a promo 45 mix? Does anyone have that for checking? They've certainly used promo versions on their CDs before, including the recently-discussed "Toy Soldiers."
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Yowzah! This thread has been dormant for almost six years, and it raises the same issue I just discovered for myself.

The commercial 45 runs 4:05 and runs at 122.7 BPM throughout. Don't have the promo 45 (there might not even be one), but I do have the promo CD single:

MCA CD45-17397, copyright 1987
Only one track: no version distinction, printed 4:05, actual 4:06, runs 122.9 BPM, fade points are really close to the 45

The version on Her Greatest Hits runs about 4:03, also runs 122.9, tail of fade is a second or two shorter than promo CD single. I don't have the Heaven On Earth album, but I'm reasonably certain that the version on Her Greatest Hits is the same as the album version, since all the other tracks appear to use the album version.

So all of the above are the same mix and basically the same length and tempo.

There are a whole bunch of CDs that all run 122.9 BPM and are the same mix and essentially the same length as the above two, including UK's Now 11 (1988), Sandstone's Rock The First Vol. 1 (1992), UK's Now 1987 (1993), swaitek's 50-CD The A-List (1994), Warner Special Products' Rockin' USA (1994), MCA's Greatest Rock Hits Of The '80s (1996), EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997), and Universal's More Pure 80's (2000 - additional compression added; avoid).

Other variants of the LP/45 version can run slightly too fast (1988's MCA Hits Sampler Vol. 1, 123.1 BPM) or too slow (1993's Totally '80s, 122.3 BPM).

Then, there's a previously unreleased mix, which first appeared on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1987 (1994). It runs 4:11 (longer than all the others) and at 122.8 BPM. Aaron gave some good hints to spot the differences - the easiest is probably at the 15 or 16-second mark, the word "ooh" has a bass note behind it in the unreleased mix, and no bass note in the LP/45 mix.

This unreleased mix found its way into other compilations, and they're all digital clones of the Rhino disc. They include Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 9 1987 (1995), Madacy's Rock On 1987 (1996), and Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 24 Everything '80s (2002).

Note that this isn't the only instance of one of the Billboard CDs unearthing a previously unreleased mix - The Billboard Top Hits 1988 disc gave us a previously unreleased mix of the Escape Club's "Wild Wild West". When Bill Inglot goes digging, he can find some mighty interesting stuff in the vaults.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 05 May 2011 at 9:07am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Wow, i missed this thread earlier...so i've never heard this alternate mix.
I have one of the Time-Life cd's with... i just checked it out.
I like this mix, the guitars are more prominent thru-out and the piano is much louder in the 2nd verse making it very engaging. I can only assume the intention of the mix back in '87 was as a "rock mix" .. or whatever format but either un-released, or no one noticed!
But i do like this mix.
MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 May 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes, I'd always used the mix off "Billboard 1987" for my CDR collection and iPod, not knowing any better, and when this discovery was brought up here, I listened to my original Carlisle CD and liked the newer mix a lot more, so just kept with the version I'd been using/listening to, even though my general rule is to go with true original mixes!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

The promo 45 lists 3:49, but it's 4:05, 4:06 like the others.
Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2020 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I have a 3:52 I can't identify. Is this possibly the UK Edit? It can't be any known US edit.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2020 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

crapfromthepast wrote:
The commercial 45 runs 4:05 and runs at 122.7 BPM throughout. Don't have the promo 45 (there might not even be one), but I do have the promo CD single:

MCA CD45-17397, copyright 1987
Only one track: no version distinction, printed 4:05, actual 4:06, runs 122.9 BPM, fade points are really close to the 45

I have always considered the promo CD single to be the correct version. From what you described do any of the versions coming after it match it, or is the promo cd that much different than the 45?

This is one of those times I wish you would do your famous breakdown for this single. Lord knows it needs one! Is the true 45 on CD?

Edited by PopArchivist on 30 August 2020 at 10:00am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2020 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The promo CD single is basically the commercial 45.

There's not even enough of a distinction to describe here.

They're the same.

Same as the LP version, too.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 30 August 2020 at 10:20am

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2020 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

mainrhythm wrote:
The promo 45 lists 3:49, but it's 4:05, 4:06 like the others.

Is it possible one side of the promo 45 runs 3:49 while the other side runs 4:05? The 2013 remaster/expanded edition has a bonus track of the song running about 3:50 that is
specifically labelled as "Promo 7" Edit". Discogs also shows the 3:49 version as the commercial single version in the UK and other countries.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Dan,

That would explain the 3:52 edit I have in my collection. If Aaron has some time, might worth seeing what the 14 second difference is in each version.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2020 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

crapfromthepast wrote:
The promo CD single is basically the commercial 45.

There's not even enough of a distinction to describe here.

They're the same.

Same as the LP version, too.

Thanks. Pretty much what I thought.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version