Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Escape Club - Wild Wild West Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 June 2005 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I never noticed this until just now, but there are two different 4:00 versions of Escape Club's "Wild Wild West." One of them can be found on Rhino 71643 Billboard Top Hits 1988; however, I'm quite sure this is NOT the 45 Version.

I have what I believe is the 45 mix on a CD called Totally 80s (Razor & Tie - available at one time through a TV offer). This version is pitched up, and it has a synthesizer note right before the first vocals start. Also, the drums aren't as bass-heavy.

I don't own the 45, but I do have the 12" single. On my 12" there is a version called "Single Edit," which I assume is the same one used on the 45. This is the mix that is pitched up and has the synth note before the first vocals.

Anyone own the 45 to verify? Who knows where this other version on Billboard Top Hits came from?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I had not noticed this either Aaron but you are correct. All the versions that run 4:04 on cd are neither the 45 nor LP version for the reasons that you pointed out.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

So does this mean that even the Like Omigod! The '80$ Pop Culture Box (Totally) on Rhino 78239 contains the "neither the 45 nor LP version" of Escape Club's "Wild Wild West"? That's interesting considering the compilers of that box set seemed to go to great lengths to provide the correct 45 versions of nearly every other track on the set (I think the Vapors' "Turning Japanese" is the only other track where the 45 version was not used).
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

That is correct Todd, Rhino goofed on "Like Omigod" with the song Wild Wild West.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just listened to the 45 issued on atlantic 89048 versus the promo cd single issued in 1988 on atlantic pr 2353-2 and they are identical..........the 45 and this promo cd single does have a synth yaw leading into the first vocals.........are you saying all the other versions don't??????????.....i don't have any other version on cd to compare to the 45 and promo cd single.......

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have checked every cd listed in Top 40 Music On Compact Disc and all of the entries that run 4:04 do not have the synth yaw.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

well i guess the only place to find the true 45 version is on the promo cd single.....

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i found the full length cd by the escape club titled "wild wild west" and that cd HAS the synth yaw right before the vocals start on the song "wild wild west"........the plot thickens....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 June 2005 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40...there are some CDs that have the correct 45 version...the ones listed with a run time of 3:58 I'm guessing. It's only those with a 4:04 run time that are incorrect.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2005 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Good catch, Aaron! Damn, you guys are good. I have the original Japanese three-inch CD single, two track, and turns out it is the 45 mix as well.

Edited by Brian W. on 29 June 2005 at 12:38am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I agree with everything posted thus far, but I thought since my CD collection probably doesn't overlap with many others, I'd post my findings as well.

The LP version is found on these CDs (all 139.2 BPM except where noted):
  • Rock The First Vol. 3 (Sandstone D233043-2, 1992; mastered by Steve Hoffman and the best-sounding of the bunch of LP versions; runs 5:45)
  • Cosmopolitan Vol. 9 (Sandstone SAN 5023, 1994; also mastered by Steve Hoffman and sounds great; runs 5:42)
  • Rock Of The 80's Vol. 4 (Priority P2 53684, 1993; mastered too loud and clips severely; runs 5:43)
  • Modern Rock 1988-1989 (Time-Life R828-07, 1999; differently EQ'd version of Rock Of The 80's mastering, also clips; run 5:44)
  • This Is Music 6 (Quality Canada QRSPD-1094, 1989; EQ a little thin but no clipping at all; runs about 0.2% too fast at 139.5 BPM; runs 5:43)

The true 45 is an edit (same mix) of LP version, but sped up by about 0.8% to run at 140.4 BPM. It's found on:
  • Totally '80s (Razor & Tie OPCD-4544, 1993; mastered by Steve Hoffman and is best-sounding 45 version; runs 4:02)
  • Atlantic's Year In Review: 1988 (Atlantic PR 2566-2, 1989; runs 4:02)
  • The "A" List Disc 43 (Swaitek, 1994; runs 4:04 and 140.3 BPM)

There is another mix in circulation, alluded to above. It's missing some production elements, like the synth note before the vocals start, and its drums are mixed way too far out in front. It's slower than the LP version by about 1.5% and runs at 137.1 BPM.

Because production elements are missing, compared to the LP version, and it's slower than the LP version, I doubt that this would have been a candidate for a single release at the time - both of those are the opposite of what the trend was for single remixes in 1988.

This version simply didn't exist when I was in college radio in 1988, and first turned up (to the best of my knowledge) on the Time-Life compilation below from 1995.

There are one or two other instances of odd mixes that have turned up only on the Time-Life compilations - one that springs to mind is an odd mix of the Champs' "Tequila", which appears in its proper mono 45 version on the reissue of The Rock 'N' Roll Era 1958 (1992), but is slowed down and has stereo overdubs on the original release of that disc from 1987.

The odd "Wild, Wild West" mix is 137.1 BPM for all versions and appears on:
  • Sounds Of The Eighties - 1988 (Time-Life R988-10, 1995; mastered a little bit loud and clips in a few places; runs 4:07)
  • Sounds Of The Eighties - Everything '80s (Time-Life R988-24, 2002; digitally identical to above; runs 4:06)
  • Retro Lunchbox - Squeeze The Cheeze (Universal MSD-37132, 1997; digitally exactly 0.66 dB quieter than above two; runs 4:06)
  • Like Omigod (Rhino 7-CD box; mastered too loud and clips quite a bit; runs 4:06)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 4:24am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have a copy of the song from a TM Century disc, and it DOES include the synth note, and it runs 3:58.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

FYI - The odd mix appears to have turned up first on
Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1988 from 1994. The
other discs that include are digital clones of the
Billboard disc, except the Like Omigod box,
which sounds pretty darn close to the Billboard
disc.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast wrote:
FYI - The odd mix appears to have turned up first on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1988 from 1994. The other discs that include are digital clones of the Billboard disc, except the Like Omigod box, which sounds pretty darn close to the Billboard disc.

I believe the Billboard Top Hits 1988 CD was mastered by Bill Inglot. I know he's a widely respected audio engineer, but I've always found it interesting how so many of the songs he masters for Rhino often seems to become the industry standard for future CD compilations, even when the versions Inglot uses or edits himself are incorrect.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 March 2011 at 4:23am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version