Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: C + C Music Factory - Here We Go Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 January 2008 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have a commercial 45 (Columbia 38-73772) for this song, and a few questions that go along with it.

The A-side is:
  • C & C Music Factory Presents Freedom Williams and Zelma Davis - Here We Go (The Rock & Roll Radio Mix) (printed 4:41, actual 4:44, matrix number ZSS 73690A)
The B-side is:
  • C & C Music Factory Presents Freedom Williams - Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) (Radio Edit) (printed 4:08, actual 4:06, matrix number ZSS 73772B)
The A-side, "Here We Go", is indeed a different mix from the LP version, and can't be edited down from the LP version. For instance, the word "rap" at 0:47 has a big handclap behind it, which is not on the LP version (it would be at 1:03). Most of the "Rock & Roll Radio Mix" is found on The Hits Album 15 (Sony BMG UK, 1991), but the songs are segued together and the 9-second guitar solo intro is omitted.

My questions are these:

(1) I have three commercially available 45s for the Gonna Make You Sweat album:
  • "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm..."/"Things That Make You Go Hmmmm..." (Columbia 73687)
  • "Here We Go"/"Here We Go" (Columbia 73690) - currently misplaced in my basement but I have it listed in the big notebook
  • "Here We Go"/"Gonna Make You Sweat" (Columbia 73772)
Does anyone know why the last single even exists, since the release number is well after the third single from the album ("Things ..."), and the matrix number seems to use the master for the 73690 single?

(2) The "Radio Edit" of "Gonna Make You Sweat" is slower than the common versions, and is about 1.5 seconds longer as a result. (113.4 BPM for 45's "Radio Edit", 114.6 or 114.7 BPM for everything else). Aside from being about 1.1% slower, I couldn't hear any difference between the "Radio Edit" and the versions found on a whole lot of compilations - is this different from the LP version?

Edited by crapfromthepast on 10 August 2020 at 1:11pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 January 2008 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

(duplicate post)

Edited by aaronk on 13 January 2008 at 6:07pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 January 2008 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
The A-side, "Here We Go", is indeed a different mix from the LP version, and can't be edited down from the LP version.

If my memory serves me right, didn't this song have the chorus totally resung by a different vocalist? They ran into some legal issues with "Gonna Make You Sweat" when they put a much more attractive lip syncher in place of Martha Wash for the video. As a result, I believe they replaced Martha's vocals on the single version for "Hmmmm" and "Here We Go." (My memory is hazy on this, since I haven't heard the LP versions in years.)

Regarding "Gonna Make You Sweat," this may be a case where the "Radio Edit" ended up being the LP version, because I don't know of any difference either. Why it's slower on the b-side is probably due to a tape speed mastering error.

Edited by aaronk on 13 January 2008 at 6:06pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

crapfromthepast wrote:
Does anyone know why the last single even exists, since the release number is well after the third single from the album ("Things ..."), and the matrix number seems to use the master for the 73690 single?

The early '90s were a wierd time for vinyl 45s. I could never figure out why things were released the way we were ... and why certain other deserving songs (i.e. high-charting) never were on 45s.

The only thing I can think of with this song was that there was still a demand for 45s around that time, and I guess Columbia figured they could sell more of it by putting the No. 1 "Gonna Make You Sweat" on the B-side of the current hit.

I have a friend who owns a record store in Syracuse, and I remember him telling me both of those "Here We Go" singles were out within a couple of weeks of each other.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 January 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

torcan wrote:

The early '90s were a wierd time for vinyl 45s. I could never figure out why things were released the way we were ... and why certain other deserving songs (i.e. high-charting) never were on 45s.

I'll bet that final 45 release ("Sweat" b/w "Here We Go") was destined for jukeboxes, not consumers. I'm sure jukebox operators preferred to allocate their real estate to records with two hits. By '92 or '93, most 45 releases had two "singles" backed together.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

That's a very good point, actually. In '91, I was on a jukebox service, and I'd get a nice package of about 5 45s every week or two. The company is long gone - "Record Source International", based in Mineral Wells, Texas. It was fun while it lasted.

The "Here We Go"/"Gonna Make You Sweat" 45 had a barcode, for what it's worth, so it wasn't as obvious as some of the later EMI 45s that had the "For Jukeboxes Only" on the label.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2008 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

eric_a wrote:

I'll bet that final 45 release ("Sweat" b/w "Here We Go") was destined for jukeboxes

That's what I was going to suggest... it was probably a jukebox reissue.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

So, is the Rock & Roll Radio Mix considered the official 45 version? I have the CD single (Columbia 44K 73689)
which has the following tracks:

1. The Clivilles/Cole Rockin' In '91 Mix - Zelma Sings (listed and actual 10:01)
2. The Rockin' In '91 Dub - The Cole/Clivilles House Mix (listed 7:42, actual 7:47)
3. The C & C Radio Mix (listed and actual 4:32)
4. The R & B Radio Mix (listed and actual 4:32)
5. The Rock & Roll Radio Mix (listed and actual 4:41)

I don't have the cassette single for this; well, not the official cassette single, anyway. I got my cassette single
(BVT 23036) through an offer from Pop-Tarts (you know, send in proof-of-purchase, etc.) Side A has "Here We
Go, Let's Rock & Roll" (C & C Radio Mix) and Side B has Clivilles + Cole "A Deeper Love" (Radio Remix Edit). Which
version is on the official cassette single?

Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2009 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ed can probably help out with the cassette single info, but in an effort to shed light on radio airplay, here is my promo CD single info:

C+C Music Factory Presents Freedom Williams And Zelma Davis-"Here We Go" (CSK 73690)

1-The C & C Radio Mix (listed & actual 4:32)
2-The R & B Radio Mix (listed & actual 4:32)
3-The Rock & Roll Radio Mix (listed 4:41; actual 4:42)
4-The Clivilles/Cole Rockin' In '91 Mix (listed 9:31; actual 9:30)
5-The Rockin' In '91 Dub (listed 0:30; actual 0:29) (these short times are not a typo)
6-The Cole/Clivilles House Mix (listed 7:42; actual 7:44)

FYI, we played Cut 1 on-the-air at my station back in 1991.

Edited by jimct on 10 February 2009 at 6:09pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Was it ever determined what is the official "45 version" of this song? The vinyl 45 & video uses the "Rock & Roll Radio Mix," which has the electric guitar intro. It appears that the "C+C Radio Mix" probably received the most radio airplay. And at least Pop Tart pressings of the cassette single have the "C+C Radio Mix" :D Does anyone have an official cassette single? I presume since this was a 1991 hit, the cassette single would be considered the "45 version," no?

Edited by aaronk on 22 August 2009 at 10:59am

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i'll try and remember to check the cassingle tmw

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as columbia 73690 contains the below 2 tracks

1-here we go (the rock & roll radio mix)(no listed time; 4:41 actual time)
2-here we go (the r&b radio mix)

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Ed! We can put this one to rest for now.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Might as well leave a few more details on this one, since I just received my CD single and had a chance to compare the versions.

The three radio mixes all use the same backing track. The difference between the three are in the choruses and overdubs. Martha Wash does not sing vocals on any of these mixes.

"C+C Radio Mix" - solo vocal for all choruses; electric guitar solo at 2:07

"R&B Radio Mix" - group vocal for all choruses except the last one; "sax" synth solo at 2:07 to the tune of "The 900 Number"

"Rock & Roll Radio Mix" - group vocal for all choruses except the last one; electric guitar solo at 2:15; additional electric guitar on intro and overdubbed throughout first verse and chorus

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I just wanted to confirm Ed's cassette single info for C + C Music Factory presenting Zelma Davis and Freedom Williams' "Here We Go" ... The A-side features the "Rock & Roll Radio Mix" and has an actual run time of 4:42. The B-side is the "R&B Radio Mix" and runs 4:32.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

aaronk wrote:
crapfromthepast wrote:
The A-side, "Here We Go", is indeed a different mix from the LP version, and can't be edited down from the LP version.

If my memory serves me right, didn't this song have the chorus totally resung by a different vocalist? They ran into some legal issues with "Gonna Make You Sweat" when they put a much more attractive lip syncher in place of Martha Wash for the video. As a result, I believe they replaced Martha's vocals on the single version for "Hmmmm" and "Here We Go." (My memory is hazy on this, since I haven't heard the LP versions in years.)

Zelma Davis provides lead vocals on the album. Martha Wash and Zelma Davis perform backing vocals on the "Gonna Make You Sweat" song - Martha Wash obviously sings the main hook.

"Here We Go" (named "Here We Go Let's Rock 'N' Roll" on the album) was reproduced for its single release and Zelma Davis re-recorded her vocals its release.
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version