Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Martika - I Feel The Earth Move Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 January 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Okay, going crazy here. Has anyone determined the difference between the single and LP versions of this song?

I've picked up the recent best of collection, and while many of the tracks are indeed different to the LP versions, IFTEM sounds identical.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The LP version runs (4:12) and ends cold while the 45 version runs (4:04) and also ends cold so there is an edit that our mix masters can detail for you.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

*dun-dun-dunnnnn!!!!!* Thanks Pat.

I take it they've used the wrong master. WHY do the individuals that compile these CDs always goof up? I can't think of one compilation that has been 100% correct in terms of using all of the proper single masters.

If anyone can provide edit points/details on mix differences, etc., I'd appreciate it so much. :)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I take it that means me! I think I have the commercial 45 at home, and I think I still have the Greatest Hits CD, so I'll compare them tonight.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

LOL. Yay! Thank you so much! :)

I just posted like a 13 year old girl.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Like OMG.

The commercial 45 for "I Feel The Earth Move" is Columbia 38-68996, 1988, printed 3:58, actual 4:06.

The version on Toy Soldiers - The Best Of Martika (Columbia/Legacy CK 86853, 2005) is printed 4:14, actual 4:13.

Here are instructions for creating the 45 edit from the Best Of CD:

Keep 0:00.0-3:27.0 of CD version.
Edit on downbeat. If you're counting from the chorus that starts at 3:20, and the word "earth" is beat 1, then edit on beat 15. That's the downbeat between the word "down" and the next line "I feel..."
Remove the 16 beats from 3:27.0-3:34.7.
Keep 3:34.7-4:13.3 (end) of CD version.

Your mixdown should run about 4:05.6 with an edit at 3:27.

In going through this exercise, I realized that I prefer the sound of my 45 much more than the greatest hits CD, which is ridiculously maximized/compressed. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cheap copy of the 1988 Martika CD, which should be pretty easy to find at this point.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask away!

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 January 2008 at 6:23pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 January 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thank you so much for this info! Extremely helpful. :)

Have you found that the rest of the versions used for The Best Of (barring Toy Soldiers which has its own thread, lol) match the correct length of the US single releases?

I can confirm that "More Than You Know" is correct, but I'm always suspicious wherever these 80s ladies are concerned...ever since that Paula Abdul Greatest Hits that cut off the intro of "(It's Just) The Way That You Love Me".

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I don't know about the rest of the tracks on the greatest hits - I only bought it for the Japanese version of "Toy Soldiers".

The sound on the greatest hits is incredibly maximized, and I have a tough time with all of it. For "More Than You Know", I use the version from the More New Stuff promo sampler, I take "Toy Soldiers" from The A-List (even though it's the LP mix; the Rhino and Time-Life compilations use the 45 mix but cut off the a cappella intro), and I have "Love Thy Will Be Done" on 3 other compilations (not sure which has best sound - haven't reached Oct 1991 yet).

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as columbia 68996 states on the label a run time of 3:58 but actually runs 4:05.....again, there was no picture sleeve issued with this 45 but i've also have the commercial cassingle which has the same picture on the front as the import cd single scanned below.....i've also attached a copy of the B-side of the cassingle, which illustrates that the record companies couldn't figure out WHAT to do with a B-side of cassingle early on....this was common in late 1989 into 1990.....so they did nothing, left it blank.....later in the 90's they added both songs to the B-side.....pretty funny.....the import cd single contains the proper 45/cassingle version and has it listed as the 7" version....i didn't included a scan of the back of the import cd single because it has yellow lettering on a white background, and it didn't scan clearly..

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I have just noticed in the database that there is a (6:35) version of this song included on her "Toy Soldiers-Best Of" CD, for which Pat has added "remix". My promo CD single includes this longer version, and here are the particulars:

Martika-"I Feel The Earth Move" (CSK 1744)
1-(Single Version) (listed & actual 4:04)
2-(Extended Single Version) (listed 5:04; actual 5:08)
3-(12" Club Mix) (listed & actual 6:35)
4-(Seismic Rhythm Mix) (listed & actual 7:10)
5-(Dub Mix) (listed & actual 6:23)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version