Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Modern English "I Melt With You" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SoCalDrew
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 January 2008 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote SoCalDrew

One of the local stations is playing a different version than the one on my "Valley Girl" CD, possibly longer and in true stereo. Is this remix common on CD?
Back to Top View SoCalDrew's Profile Search for other posts by SoCalDrew

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Memory recalls the band re-recorded the song around 1989 or 1990. I listened to the digitally available Pillow Lips album from 1990 and it may be the recording you heard.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

SoCalDrew
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote SoCalDrew

eriejwg wrote:
Memory recalls the band re-recorded the song around 1989 or 1990. I listened to the digitally available Pillow Lips album from 1990 and it may be the recording you heard.

I remember buying the Sire 12 inch circa 1982 and being surprised that is was mono.

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

They did re-record the song around 1990 and altered the title and lyrics to "It Melts With You."

I have no idea why they did that.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 January 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

There is a true stereo version of the original "I Melt With You", albeit unedited with a missing background vocal near the end.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

SoCalDrew
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 January 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote SoCalDrew

AndrewChouffi wrote:
There is a true stereo version of the original "I Melt With You", albeit unedited with a missing background vocal near the end.

Andy

That might be what I heard.

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2008 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

AndrewChouffi wrote:

I've been told -- but do not know for a fact -- that the above is the version originally found on the LP After The Snow, and the version on Valley Girl is the original single version. To reiterate some of what's already been stated upthread, the single version reportedly has some differences in backing vocals from the album version, fades earlier, has at least one edit, and has noticeably less stereo separation (is it literally in mono?). The 1990 re-recording sounds different from either of the original versions.   

At least since the early/mid '90s, when the original single version began to appear on various compilations, it has been by far the most widely available and most heavily played on the radio. There is at least one radio station in my area that often plays the rerecording on its "retro '80s" show, though.

I have no memory of either the 1982 or 1990 releases of this song from when they were new, as they were not successful on the radio formats I was listening to at the time (Top 40 in 1982-83, AOR in 1990). I first encountered the song when I began listening to a local AOR station around 1985, which somewhat oddly had the song in semi-regular rotation well into the mid/late '80s. I don't remember which version they played, but I know that when the song began to get airplay in the '90s after '80s nostalgia began to kick in, it sounded a little odd to me. Since the single version seems to have been the most widely available by that point, I'm guessing that the version I heard on that AOR station back in the '80s was the album version.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hi
The original import album "After The Snow" on 4AD records had the stereo version which was also longer. (it runs about 4:20 or so from memory)
The 45 version is the common 3:50 version which is mixed to mono (no reason, just for art's sake i guess) and has extra vocal overdubs. Most notably the background vocals between the lines in the 2nd verse, and the extra "stop the world" repeat in the choruses. There is also a synth that comes in earlier in the song in the 45 mix.
For U.S. release Sire used the 45 version for the album, and the 12" single.

Some re-issues of the "After The Snow" cd contain the original stereo album mix and have the 45 mix as a bonus track. Other issues are straight re-issues of the u.s. version of the album with only the 45 mix.

And then of course there's the 1990 re-rerecording for TVT records. I'm guessing they were trying for an actual top 40 entry with this new recording...ironically it stalled out on the chart almost the same place the original did back in '83.
And yet the original never needed to be a top 40 hit, it just became a classic of the era without chart status.
The 80's produced a few of those....

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote MCT1

MMathews wrote:
For U.S. release Sire used the 45 version for the album, and the 12" single.

If the 45 version was the only version available domestically in the U.S. during the '80s, I may have to take back my comment above about that AOR station possibly playing the album version. I guess they could have been playing it off an import LP, but I doubt this station would have done something like that.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

The version on my "After the Snow" CD is the mono mix that runs 3:51 and is filled with background 'echo' vocals beginning at the second verse and going throughout the rest of the song, which is the way I remember hearing the song from back in the early 80s when it was in Valley Girl. I have the compilation "The Brat Pack Years", which includes the stereo mix, which runs 4:13 and sounds pretty empty without all those background vocals.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The stereo mix runs 4:08 on The Right Stuff's Sedated In The Eighties (Vol. 1).

It really does sound empty once you've gotten used to the background vocals in the mono 45 version.

For the record, I have the mono 45 version on:
  • Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 9 (1994)
  • Razor & Tie's Everything '80s (1995, 2-CD set, sound quite close to Rhino CD but not digital clone)
  • JCI's 18 Modern Rock Classics From The 80's (1996, digitally exactly 2 dB quieter than Everything '80s)
  • Time-Life's Modern Rock - Dance (1999, 2-CD, digitally 0.5 dB quieter than Everything '80s before 3:04 and 2.5 dB quieter after 3:04 - this fixes the screwy levels on the 45 after the break, and is my preferred CD for this song)
  • Rhino's Millennium '80s New Wave Party (1999, mastered too loud and clips a lot; avoid)
I have the rerecorded version from on a sampler called Schwartz Brothers Vol. Compact Disc Sampler Volume 5. It's in true stereo, and is still titled "I Melt With You (1990)". The sampler says that it's taken from the album Pillow Lips - TVT 2810. As rerecordings go, it could be much, much worse. Still won't give it any airplay, though...

Edited by crapfromthepast on 28 August 2009 at 7:34pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The hit 45 version will be released in stereo on CD in June 2016. Stay tuned for more details coming soon.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So I wonder if this means it will be missing the various background vocals - and the extra "stop the world" repeat in the choruses, as detailed above.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

No, it's the 7" mix in true stereo, exactly as it was mixed before they decided to fold it to mono.
MM

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2016 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

So was this true stereo mix of "I Melt With You" available on CD all along, albeit import CD, and albeit 30 seconds longer (4:20)? And could that version simply have been faded 30 seconds early to get the version you're including on the upcoming Eric Records CD? In fact, is that what you did, Mark? Or was there a reason to have the original label go into the vaults to get the mix you used?

Edited by EdisonLite on 31 May 2016 at 1:20am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2016 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

No, the true stereo mix of the 7" mix has never been released. The longer version you mention is the LP version described above. The 7" mix was edited and remixed.
MM

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2020 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

EDIT: It was, see below.
--

Was the true stereo mix of the 7" mix ever released?

Edited by NightAire on 07 December 2020 at 3:04pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2020 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, it ended up on the Eric comp Hard To Find Vol. 16: More 80s Essentials & Beyond.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2020 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Also Ron could you double check the "Just Can't Get Enough" version? I did a center channel cancel and got reverb and a little bit of instrumentation in stereo left over.

I have six versions, running between 3:45 and 3:53 (including silence). Four of them seem to be what I'll call "narrow," while the other two are "full stereo."

I found the narrow version on "I Want My New Wave," "Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 9," the "Valley Girl" soundtrack, and "Made In The 80s."

The full stereo versions are on "Hard To Find 45s Vol. 16 - More 80s Essentials & Beyond (Eric Records)," and an unlabeled file. (Some of these go back a ways, and this board has taught me better in the meantime about properly labeling my files!)

Interestingly the two stereo versions are two completely different takes... maybe 1982 / 1989? The "Hard To Find 45s" version starts with the guitar strum, the other starts with two drum hits before the guitar strum.

The "HTF445s" version is also significantly faster.

Finally, at about the 3 minute mark, at the breakdown with the "mmm, mmm, mmm..." vocals, getting back into the chorus, the "HTF45s" version has a quick drum roll cross the toms back into the full band, while the other has a longer, single tom, fading in beat to get back to the full band.

The "HTF45s" version sounds identical to me to the narrow version on "Just Can't Get Enough..." with the fade ending maybe 750 ms later on the stereo version.

I'm now wondering if the Hard To Find 45s Vol. 16 (released in 2016) is the release Santi was talking about. (EDIT: It was, as confirmed below and above. Thanks, Aaron and LunarLaugh!)

Edited by NightAire on 07 December 2020 at 3:06pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2020 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

NightAire wrote:

I'm now wondering if the Hard To Find 45s Vol. 16
(released in 2016) is the release Santi was talking about.

Is is. MMathews is Mark Matthews who mastered that
compilation.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version