Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like A Lady) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 June 2005 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's one that the 8th Edition of the book has the comment "LP Version." However, I'm pretty certain that all commercial copies had the full 4:23 LP version of "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)" on the 45. I think only DJ copies had the 3:27 "vocal edit." Can anyone back me up on this?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 June 2005 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Whitburn lists the 45 length as 3:27 and my dj copy runs 3:27.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 July 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just had my parents dig out my commercial copy, and as I suspected, the commercial 45 of "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)" has a run time of (4:23). Unless there was more than one commercial pressing, Whitburn is listing the run time from the DJ 45. "LP Version" comments in the book should be removed, and a note next to the song should read DJ copies ran (3:27) and commercial copies were all (4:23).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2005 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Unless there was more than one commercial pressing, Whitburn is listing the run time from the DJ 45.

Whitburn seems to do that a lot. (True Blue, Papa Don't Preach, etc., etc.)
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is anyone aware on how to recreate the 3:27 'vocal edit'?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Bumping this up because of the flurry of new posts.

Jim, you've been a busy man again!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
Is anyone aware on how to recreate the 3:27 'vocal edit'?

I did create this edit, but it's been over year. I think it was just an edit on the guitar solo & early fade.

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

Brian W. wrote:
aaronk wrote:
Unless there was more than one commercial pressing, Whitburn is listing the run time from the DJ 45.

Whitburn seems to do that a lot. (True Blue, Papa Don't Preach, etc., etc.)

I've written to Record Research several times over the years, and about 10-15 years ago I inquired about a few promo singles, but they stated they only deal with commercial copies. That made me think all of the timings and everything were for commercial pressings.

I wonder if Whitburn has acquired all of the promo copies as well since then? Maybe Paul Haney could shed some light on this if he happens to read this post?
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I bought the original cassette single when "Dude..." came out. The "A side" had the album version but faded early. I remember it completely faded out before Steven Tyler's stuttering at the end (or whatever you call that.) The "B side" had some type of remix of "Dude"

Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

RichM921 wrote:
I bought the original cassette single when "Dude..." came out. The "A side" had the album version but faded early. I remember it completely faded out before Steven Tyler's stuttering at the end (or whatever you call that.) The "B side" had some type of remix of "Dude"

It sounds like your cassette faded out in about the same place as the promo 45. Was it the full guitar solo, or is it possible that the tape did contain the edited version?

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I don't recall the guitar solo being edited at all, but it has been a long time since I've heard it. I may still have a dub of it somewhere, but I would have to do some digging.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear that B side remix again. I haven't seen it available anywhere since. Interestingly the remix faded at the same spot in the song where the A side faded.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have a promo 45 for this song, Geffen PRO-S-2887, with the notation "Hot New Mix" in a box at the bottom of both the A- and B-sides.

The A-side is called the "Rockin' Dance Edit", with a printed time of 3:53 (matrix number R-19100-SH1).

The B-side is called the "Urban Dance Edit", with a printed time of 3:48 (matrix number R-19101-SH1).

Both sides have addition mix and production credits - these clearly can't be recreated from the LP version.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 November 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Those remxes were also available on 12" (probably also promo), but they aren't edited. I've come across it a couple times at used record stores, but I never picked one up.

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 October 2015 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

It's been asked before, although I don't see a reply anywhere... but can the 3:27 'vocal edit' be recreated using the LP and commercial 45 version? Or is it a different mix? I'm keen to acquire a shorter version of this song!
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version