Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 45 Versions not available on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 December 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of just 45 versions that are not available on CD?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

I think that you can do it yourself by going to the search screen and in the line "on CD," select no and then hit search. That will give you a list of all the songs not on cd (or not on a domestic cd)
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

When I was looking through the search results generated using the method described in the immediately preceding post, I noticed that Elton John's "Candle In The Wind 1997" was listed as not being on domestic CD.

I have it on Rocket 31456 8108 2. The CD contains that cut and "Something About The Way You Look Tonight". The notation around the periphery of the CD states "Made in the USA."

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 December 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Satchdr, you make an excellent point here. But Pat has never included commercial CD single info in his database. It would probably open up a "whole new can of worms" for him, with much new work and many new headaches, I'm sure. And Pat seems PLENTY busy enough already; he normally has to update his already huge database twice a day. But maybe he would agree to make an exception, in an extremely rare case like this, where the CD single was the ONLY U.S. commercial CD configuration that contained the "hit" version. And Satchdr, just a quick thought on your suggestion for Fetta. I don't think your idea would reveal songs that ARE on database CDs, let's say, in their "LP Version", but not in their "45 Version". I think Fetta was looking for a way to exclude these "On a U.S. CD in an LP Version? Yes, but on a U.S. CD in their 45 version? No". I don't believe that Pat has had his programmer build the sort of "specific version search feature" that Fetta's asking for here, but Pat would certainly know more about his system than either of us do.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, if you're as crazy as I am, you can go through each song in the database, and make a list of those that have never appeared on CD with a "45 version" notation. Otherwise, you can feel free to ask about specific songs in this thread, and we'll let you know if we've ever found it on a non-database CD, such as a promo, CD single, or import.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

jimct and aaronk both make good points about the search function issue and that, at least now, you'd have to go through all of them manually.

I didn't go through all of them that resulted from that search, but, interestingly enough, when I spot checked about 25 of the entries, none of them had any designation that indicated either "45 version" or "LP version." When I have a chance, I'll go back (because I'm probably as crazy as aaronk) and see if there are any that have either designation.

And jimct, I like your suggestion about the "special rule" for U.S. CD singles if they are the only domestic CD source for a hit. I'm not trying to presume on Pat's time, because he's plenty busy keeping the database up, but there are probably relatively few top 40 hits that fit the "Candle In The Wind 1997" category.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

satchdr wrote:
...when I spot checked about 25 of the entries, none of them had any designation that indicated either "45 version" or "LP version."

You may already know this, but just in case, if there is not a designator next to the song, most of the time it means that the 45 and LP are the same. I say "most of the time" because there are cases in the database where Pat has chosen simply to list the running times in the note at the top, and he leaves it up to you to decide which CDs have the 45/LP version based on the run time.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

jimct wrote:
Satchdr, you make an excellent point here. But Pat has never included commercial CD single info in his database. It would probably open up a "whole new can of worms" for him, with much new work and many new headaches, I'm sure. And Pat seems PLENTY busy enough already; he normally has to update his already huge database twice a day. But maybe he would agree to make an exception, in an extremely rare case like this, where the CD single was the ONLY U.S. commercial CD configuration that contained the "hit" version.

Believe it or not, Jim, I've spotted one case in the database where Pat actually has implemented the exception you suggest. If you look up the hit "Voices That Care" by Voices That Care, you'll notice the maxi-CD single appearance is listed along with the comment: (available only on this compact disc maxi-single)! So at least there is precedence for this.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

That's a very good point and I personally agree with the people that think the "Candle in the Wind 1997" single should be listed. After all, the book is really intended for people to find their favorite songs in the CD format, more so than being a book about rules. Maybe there can be an unwritten exception that when a song isn't available ANYWHERE on CD album but IS available on CD single, the CD single can be listed. I believe this exception would only mean the inclusion of 2 songs, and would not require much additional work on Pat's part (since one of the singles is already listed). Just my opinion.

Edited by EdisonLite on 20 December 2007 at 8:20am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's a good suggestion, EdisonLite.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd Ireland wrote:
Believe it or not, Jim, I've spotted one case in the database where Pat actually has implemented the exception you suggest. If you look up the hit "Voices That Care" by Voices That Care, you'll notice the maxi-CD single appearance is listed along with the comment: (available only on this compact disc maxi-single)! So at least there is precedence for this.
Nice job to spot that one, Todd!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

EdisonLite wrote:
That's a very good point and I personally agree with the people that think the "Candle in the Wind 1997" single should be listed. After all, the book is really intended for people to find their favorite songs in the CD format, more so than being a book about rules.

Elton John has publicly stated that he never again plans to perform "Candle in the Wind '97" in concert, so I get a strong impression his label has no plans to issue the song on CD again either. After all, 100% of the proceeds from the CD single were raised for Princess Diana's Princess of Wales Memorial Fund and was not designed to generate any personal profits. From all vantage points it appears the song's release is likely a "one-shot" deal, so it may be all the more reason to include the CD single info in the database.

Quote:
Maybe there can be an unwritten exception that when a song isn't available ANYWHERE on CD album but IS available on CD single, the CD single can be listed. I believe this exception would only mean the inclusion of 2 songs, and would not require much additional work on Pat's part (since one of the singles is already listed). Just my opinion.

Actually, at quick glance, there are at least five other Top 40 titles in the database that could qualify for "CD single-only" inclusion:

Pearl Jam - Long Road (1995)
Kid Rock featuring Allison Moorer - Picture (2003)
Bo Bice - Inside Your Heaven (2005)
Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud (2006)
Katharine McPhee - Somewhere over the Rainbow (2006)

It'll be interesting to see what Pat ultimately rules on this.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 20 December 2007 at 12:31pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

I'd like to add "The Beach Boys Medley" (1981) to that list (I think it came out as a CD single a few years back).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As we all know, Pat is probably just trying not to open up that "can of worms." Regardless of Pat's ruling, the nice thing is that if anyone is looking for one of those CD-single-only songs, they can always get a quick reply by posting a message on the forum!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version