Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Yvonne Elliman-"Love Pains" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote jimct

I'm afraid I may have to bother my very busy friend, Paul Haney, for this one. Although not in the database, this song peaked at #34 in Billboard, in 12/79. I only own a promo 45 for this song. And, once again here, RSO used a "timing deception" ploy that they'd also used on several other occasions back in the late 70's, for promo 45s. Attempting, through confusion/trickery, to make the song APPEAR to radio to be shorter in length than it actually was, for both the mono and stereo sides, the timing states "Intro :15", in small print, just above a bold print (3:36) listed time. The problem is, you must add the two times together to get the actual time, which is (3:51). This just does happen to be correct, but you must combine the two times (:15 + 3:36 = 3:51!) The good news here is that the length of this song on my Polydor CD "Best Of Yvonne Elliman" is (3:50). But, my brand new Pop Annual states a time for "Love Pains" of (3:15). Now my question for Paul: Is the (3:15) stock 45 listed time in my Pop Annual transposed (3:51), by either RSO or Record Research? Or, does the stock 45 actually run (3:15)?

Edited by jimct on 25 November 2007 at 8:24am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 November 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jimct wrote:
I'm afraid I may have to bother my very busy friend, Paul Haney, for this one. Although not in the database, this song peaked at #34 in Billboard, in 12/79. I only own a promo 45 for this song. And, once again here, RSO used a "timing deception" ploy that they'd also used on several other occasions back in the late 70's, for promo 45s. Attempting, through confusion/trickery, to make the song APPEAR to radio to be shorter in length than it actually was, for both the mono and stereo sides, the timing states "Intro :15", in small print, just above a bold print (3:36) listed time. The problem is, you must add the two times together to get the actual time, which is (3:51). This just does happen to be correct, but you must combine the two times (:15 + 3:36 = 3:51!) The good news here is that the length of this song on my Polydor CD "Best Of Yvonne Elliman" is (3:50). But, my brand new Pop Annual states a time for "Love Pains" of (3:15). Now my question for Paul: Is the (3:15) stock 45 listed time in my Pop Annual transposed (3:51), by either RSO or Record Research? Or, does the stock 45 actually run (3:15)?

Jim, I checked our copy and you hit the nail right on the head, the correct printed time of (3:51) got transposed by us to the incorrect (3:15). Thanks for the heads-up!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Following up on a post from 13 years ago. This peaked at #34 in Billboard but because of other lower peaks is not in the database so not too much is known about this. Is there a difference between the 45 and LP versions? It's been mentioned that the "single version" is on "Best Of" and is 3:51. I have the CD 2-fer "Yvonne" & "Night Flight" and the LP version is also 3:51, and I hear no mix differences between "Best Of" and the parent album that I have on CD. Maybe there's a subtle mix difference (I didn't compare every second - and I don't know how to use tools that subtracts one version from another) - but can anyone fill me in since there seems to be a single version of the same timing?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2020 at 4:00am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I did some comparison of this because I'd gotten a flac file from Ron - it's labeled as "45 version" from "Best Of", and it's clearly from CD. I have the song only from the parent album on CD (a 2-fer). And comparing every second from both, I found no differences. Not in edits, not in mixes, not in fades. (Actually, one file holds out 1 second longer than the other, but that could be the CD engineer of either CD). So I conclude there is no single version of this song, for anyone who's a fan of the song and might be looking for it.

That said, the CD (parent album) could have substituted the single version instead of the original version - or the LP could have had a first pressing, then a second pressing with the 'single version' (which was then the source for the CD I have). It's doubtful but a possiblity. If anyone has the actual 45 and wants to send it my way, I can confirm it matches with these 2 CDs. Although someone would need to have the parent album on LP (not CD as I do) for me to really confirm that the 2 are the same :)

BTW, I probably only heard this song during its brief stay on AT40. It did nothing for me then but I like the song SO much now (and for the last few years). Should have peaked higher!
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version