Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Marshall Hain-"Dancing In The City" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 November 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I only own a promo 45 for this. My latest Whitburn Pop Annual states a run time of (3:48), and that is probably correct. However, both the mono & stereo sides of my promo 45 have a listed time of (3:25), but an actual time of (3:28). By the way, does anyone know of an Import CD that defintely features the original recording? (It was remade by them in 1992). If not, at a quick glance, I do see two out there: A Belgian BMG Ariola V/A CD, called "De Pre Historie 1978", and an Australian EMI CD, titled "1978: Where Were You?" that may be worth a shot. Since they were British anyway, I do have some confidence that these Imports may be OK.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Oddbjorn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Oddbjorn

Hi Jim,
I have this song on the following CD's (but I do not know if this is import CD's in US):
1) Connoiseur YRNR CD78 - 25 Years Of Rock 'N Roll 1   1978 - UK (1988) - Stereo (3:43)
2) EMI 686 795328 - Tolle Scheibe (2 CD) - German (1990) - Stereo (3:44)
3) Connoiseur TCD 70 - 60 More Classic Dance Hits Of The 70's (3 CD Box set) - UK (1991) - Stereo (3:41)
4) EMI Gold 72435 28427 2 - Best of the seventies (6 CD boxset) - UK (2000) - St. (3:44)
Give me a wink and I send You a MP3 version if You want.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I have the original hit recording of "Dancing in the City" on an additional import collection not mentioned by Oddbjorn:

"Totally 70s" (2-CD set) (Insight/PolyGram 525 677 2) (1995) (stereo) (listed 3:45; actual 3:42)

I've had the above compilation for only a couple months now (found it in the "used" bin at a brick-and-mortar store on a recent road trip), and is the first time I've ever owned the song in any format; I'm pretty sure I'd never heard it before (don't recall hearing it on the radio back in '78-'79, anyway). BTW, "Totally 70s" also includes such lesser- or non-U.S. hits as "Son of My Father" by Chicory Tip, "Substitute" by Clout, the classic "Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" by Ian Dury & the Blockheads, "Dancing on a Saturday Night" by Barry Blue, and Hello's version of "New York Groove", among others...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks for the two responses, Oddbjorn and 80smusicfreak. I have just received in the original (3:43) version of this song on a less pricey, single CD Import, entitled "The Original One Hit Wonders Album", released in 2006 from the "EMI Gold Series" (EMI 0946 3 65526 2 0). Like other imports I've seen lately, it simply states "Made In The E.U.". And for the "completionists" out there, this V/A comp also includes the U.S. (released on Big Tree) low-charting, 1977 Hot 100 entry, "Romeo" by Mr. Big. (I always thought this group/song sounded more like Air Supply than Air Supply did - hardly a claim to fame, I admit!)

Edited by jimct on 28 December 2008 at 6:33am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The same Mr. Big who did "To Be With You"?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

eriejwg wrote:
The same Mr. Big who did "To Be With You"?

Nope. The "Romeo" band was from Oxford, England. Their lead singer was Jeff Dicken.

The "To Be With You" band was from San Francisco with Eric Martin on lead vocals.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Sorry, didn't know. Guess I'm a musical dummy this morning.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

jimct wrote:
the U.S. (released on Big Tree) low-charting, 1977 Hot 100 entry, "Romeo" by Mr. Big. (I always thought this group/song sounded more like Air Supply than Air Supply did - hardly a claim to fame, I admit!)

Jim, I'm guessing that Mr. Big led to the Big Tree association in your mind (and further led to a Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Tree" possibility in my head.) :) The "Romeo" boys were on Arista and to my ears, they rocked a lot more than Air Supply. Many of the vocals on Mr. Big's Photographic Smile LP reminded me at the time of Jon Anderson/Yes. Although not a single, "Wonderful Creation" was one of the album's best cuts, and definitely not soft rock.

(BTW, my two "Romeo" promo 45s reflect Arista's change of address. My initial PRC pressing still has the 1776 Broadway address listed, while the scanned Columbia pressing shows the newer "Arista Building 6 West 57 Street" location.)

Back to Marshall Hain: my commercial 45 copy of "Dancing In The City" indeed runs the label's stated (3:48) time.

Edited by Yah Shure on 28 December 2008 at 10:04am
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Thanks, Yah Shure, for that "Mr. Big" label correction. (I should know better than to try to go from memory on details from a 45 I haven't pulled from its box in over 30 years, or to try to post 5 minutes after I wake up!) I guess that band was like A-ha, where NO other song on their great debut LP sounded anything like their huge hit, "Take On Me". Also, the "Dancing In The City" :05 second difference between your commercial 45's time and my new import CD's time has me a little concerned. Because the Marshall Hain song didn't hit the Billboard Top 40, but is in Pat's database (due to a strong Cashbox showing, no doubt), I didn't snag a commercial 45 for it when it was a current. I'll soon get to the bottom of all this, though.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

80smusicfreak wrote:
BTW, "Totally 70s" also includes such lesser- or non-U.S. hits as "Son of My Father" by Chicory Tip,

I've seen this artist referred to on message boards a couple times as "Chicory Tip", but any copies of the single I've ever seen (as well as in Whitburn) it's listed as just "Chicory". Which is correct?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Hykker:

"Son Of My Father" was issues overseas as by 'Chicory Tip' (the band's "real" name).

It was issued in the US as by 'Chicory'.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

No wonder there was so much confusion. By the following year, Epic had begun to issue singles under the full Chicory Tip group name.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Jim, I'm glad you brought up Mr. Big's "Romeo". That's a favorite song of mine, and I heard it quite a bit on Boston radio back in the day - the same station that played "Highfly". I remember when the "To Be With You" Mr. Big came out, I wondered if it was the same UK band, but quickly learned it was different. Jim, that UK "One Hit Wonders" CD you just bought sounds very interesting!

And (I know this is off topic but ...) speaking of UK one-hit wonders, does anyone know if Co-Co's "Bad Old Days" (#13 UK) has ever been released on CD from MASTER TAPE? I have it on one UK CD - a Eurovision compilation CD - but they clearly just took it off vinyl.

Edited by EdisonLite on 29 December 2008 at 1:03pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I just got in a promo 45 for "Dancing In The City." As mentioned in the database, it runs 3:28. Easily recreatable
using the 3:48 version.

Keep 00:00-02:28.839 (before the handclap)
Remove 02:28.839-2:47.632 (before the handclap)
Keep 2:47.632 to the end.

Depending on how long your source file is, it will run close to the 3:28 DJ 45 time.

Edited by eriejwg on 05 January 2009 at 4:58pm

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

I've just performed my own edit of this track using the edit points listed above.

The results don't sound good to my ears. After performing the edit, there's a sustained synth note that starts abruptly at the edit point. Does it sound this way on the promo 45?
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Someone kindly forwarded me a dub of the promo 45. It sounds smooth in comparison so I have obviously messed up somewhere. Time to have another go, this time using the 45 dub as a template.
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 February 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

That was early in my days of recreating promo/commercial
45 edits. It's possible the times listed are a bit
incorrect. Glad you have a source file to work with as
it makes the edit process much easier.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2015 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

If anyone's still looking for the 3:48-ish version on a compilation CD, it's available on these:
  • EMI UK's Time To Remember 1978 (1996)
  • Disky UK's The Beat Goes On Vol. 7 (1997; seems to be part of a 10-CD set, with each disc being sold separately?)
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Seventies Complete Vol. 1 (1997)
  • BR Music Holland's 3-CD One Hit Wonders (1999)
  • Disky UK's 8-CD Wow That Was The 70's (1999; compressed and clips a lot)
  • Disky UK's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '70s (2000; fades a little early, compressed and clips a lot)
I don't have any further details in my notes regarding sound quality. If I had to generalize, I'd say that the 1997 Disky disc probably sounds great (EMI Europe released a boatload of compilations under the Disky imprint), the BR Music probably sounds great (they've put out a few terrific collections for rounding up obscure European hits), and the EMI Australia disc probably sounds just OK (they seem to use higher-generation source tapes).

If I ever finish up my work on the 1979 tracks, I can revisit this.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 11 February 2015 at 12:26pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version