Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Contours-"Do You Love Me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 November 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote jimct

A question about the 1988 release of this song came up inside the "At This Moment" topic, so I thought I'd give it its own thread here. The "Motown Yesteryear" oldies 45, which had already existed for years, was used by Motown as the "current" 1988 45. At this time, though, it did come inside a "More Dirty Dancing" picture sleeve, and has a listed time of (2:49) and an actual time of (2:51).
We got two different "singles" in to the station for this in 1988. One was that same "Motown Yesteryear" oldies 45 that I've just detailed. We got no promo 45 or promo CD single in for it, but we did receive ONE specifically "promo" item: a 12" single. Its catalog # is "4611MG". "Side One" features the previously-mentioned "Special 12" Version", with a listed time of (6:26), but an actual time of (6:33). Here are the production particulars:

Written And Produced By Berry Gordy
Remix And Additional Production: Iris Gordy and Brian Tankersley
Additional Overdubs: Brian Tankersley
Remix Engineer: Russ Terrana
Assistant Engineer: Steve Jamerson

It basically sounds like their mentality was that it was 1962 again, and they were being asked to create a 1962 "long version" of it. It's not bad. I'm sure they probably used the same instruments that Gordy recalled using to originally produce the song. But, with quantum advances in sound between '62 & '88, a lot of times even I can tell what's been "newly recorded" for this, and what hasn't been. If I were to guess, I would say NO new, or "1962 alternate take" lead vocals were used, but when time allows, I will have our "resident audio genius", Aaron K, confirm this. The other side of this promo 12" single has 2 versions:

1-Do You Love Me (Edited Version) (listed 2:37; actual 2:38) (I had never heard this version before; it is 100% the 1962 recording, but goes right through to the end, without its legendary "false ending".)
2-Do You Love Me (Original Version) (listed 2:53; actual 2:51) (this is the classic 1962 & 1988 "hit" version.)

Motown used a commercial 12" single cover for this promo 12" single (with a drill hole on the side indicating this.) It also has the "4611MG" catalog # on it. The only reason I bring this up is because my cover states that ONLY the (Edited Version) of the song appears on "side two". Not owning the commercial 12" single, I don't know if that was an error/omission by Motown, or if they only included the "Original Version" on my promo 12" single; maybe someone with a commercial 12" can help with that detail.

Finally, it has a red "simulated ribbon-type" notation in a corner of the 12" single's cover. It states, "This 12" Version available only on "Box Office Gold" (6256ML/6256MC/6256CD)", for what it's worth.

Edited by jimct on 19 November 2007 at 11:14am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I love the 12" version (I have the promo, but I remember it with a picture cover - Dirty Dancing).

Has this 12" mix appeared on cd?
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jimct wrote:

1-Do You Love Me (Edited Version) (listed 2:37; actual 2:38) (I had never heard this version before; it is 100% the 1962 recording, but goes right through to the end, without its legendary "false ending".)

I've always been intrigued by the false end on this song. It doesn't sound like your traditional false ending where the song actually ends, then begins again but sounds almost like a mistake or something. Your special promo version kind of confirms this. Anyone know the story behind this?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I would like to modify a comment I made in my opening post for this song this morning (I never HAVE been a morning person!) A couple of hours ago, I received a PM, asking if I'd shoot them out the "Edited Version" of my promo 12" single. So, while giving this mix a more careful, second listen (as opposed to hearing 5 different source's audio for this song, within 1/2 an hour, earlier today!) I have now concluded that what Motown was ACTUALLY trying to indicate here, by calling this the "Edited Version", is that this mix is, in fact, a "newly-done-in-1988", edited version FROM the "Special 12" Version" that appears on "side one." I can now clearly hear some of the added "1988 long version" instrumentation on this mix. My apologies to all for not noticing these unique audio details initially.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My 1962 commercial 45 for this, which is vinyl and confirmed as Gordy
7005, has a listed time of (2:49), but an actual time of (2:54). Deadwax is a
handwritten "DMB 006 313".

Paul Haney
MusicFan