Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The end of promo singles? (Sort of) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 November 2007 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Are any of you in radio/press finding the same phenomenon that I am? Over the past 6 months, we've gotten more and more promos burnt as CD-Rs. These often without catalog numbers or other useful info. It seems as though the labels might be burning these in small quantities, with mix/listing changes possible at any point along the run.

It makes sense, of course, if it cuts costs. So does the use of disc-free digital servicing. At the same time, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would mourn the loss of hard-copy promos. Anyone else have any observations?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

What really disappoints me is that not only are they using CD-Rs, but often times the source is mp3 quality. I can't tell you how many promos we've recently received that sound even worse than what you can download from iTunes. There's just no quality control anymore, and nobody seems to care (or even understand the difference). It's kind of funny how everyone is very concerned about "high definition" television, but the average person could care less about great sound quality.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

What's even worse, I read an article (I think linked from BSN) that said, more and more, commercial CDs are actually mixed so they will sound good as 128kb MP3s... and to hell with how they sound on a good stereo system.

Edited by Brian W. on 17 November 2007 at 12:03am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

Brian W. wrote:
What's even worse, I read an article (I think linked from BSN) that said, more and more, commercial CDs are actually mixed so they will sound good as 128kb MP3s... and to hell with how they sound on a good stereo system.

Wow - it's an audacious step backwards for fidelity. I guess it's the way Motown mixed record to boom out of an AM transistor. It's a shame.

The teenagers on my staff have no concept of why their grungy mp3s hurt my ears. They just figure that anyone over 25 is old.

And yes, some recent releases have had terrible compression and artifacts. The acoustic mix of "Lips Of An Angel," for example, sounded terrible on Promo Only, but then I found it was equally bad on our promo single. For shame.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eric_a wrote:
Are any of you in radio/press finding the same phenomenon that I am? Over the past 6 months, we've gotten more and more promos burnt as CD-Rs. These often without catalog numbers or other useful info. It seems as though the labels might be burning these in small quantities, with mix/listing changes possible at any point along the run.

It makes sense, of course, if it cuts costs. So does the use of disc-free digital servicing. At the same time, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would mourn the loss of hard-copy promos. Anyone else have any observations?

I'd certainly miss factory-pressed promo CD singles from the standpoint that it would likely make it more difficult for Top 40 music collectors to document official radio edits without having any catalog numbers to reference!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version