Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: the 5 stairsteps - "o-o-h child" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 November 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

there seems to be some discrepancy between the b-side of "o-o-h child"... whitburn lists the b-side as "dear prudence" which made it on its own to #49 on BB Hot 100... however, my 45, Buddah 165, has "who do you belong to" as the flip... can anybody shed some light on this?
thanks...
by the way, just for clarification, the 45 lists the group as "The 5 Stairsteps" with the number rather than the spelling of "Five"...
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

It's been a long time since I thought about this one, but I believe when Buddah 165 was first released, "Dear Prudence" was considered the A-side and "O-o-h Child" was the B-side. After DJ's started spinning "O-o-h Child" more than "Dear Prudence", Buddah issued 165 with "O-o-h Child" as the A-side and "Who Do You Belong To" as the B-side.

Maybe Gary Mack and/or Jim can back me up on this.

Edited by Paul Haney on 17 November 2007 at 11:22am
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Sorry, can't help much with this one. I remember Dear Prudence on the B side, but that's all, and I don't have the 45.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I have ONLY seen "O-o-h Child" b/w "Who Do You Belong To".

I would also like to know the full story.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Andy, I have ONLY ever seen "O-o-h Child" b/w "Dear Prudence"! And you and I only live three hours away; you'd think we'd have had similar 1970 distribution channels!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

On a side note, I seem to remember seeing an early copy of the album, with the promo "play these cuts" sticker for DJs, and if I recall correctly, it just called them "The Stairsteps" without the 5.   Can anyone confirm?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote jrjr

yes, the album is called simply, "Stairsteps", but the label says "The 5 Stairsteps"... this group seems to have a bit of a confusing, although interesting, history:
1966 - 1967: The Five Stairsteps
1967 - 1969: Five Stairsteps & Cubie (5 year old brother?)
1970 - The 5 Stairsteps
1971 - The Stairsteps
1980 - The Invisible Man's Band
Also, of their 16 charting singles, only one hit the top 40 and that was of course "o-o-h child" i do not remember much airplay in upstate NY, although i imagine that they were chart-busters in and around chicago...
good call by Gary Mack, as "Dear Prudence" hit the charts first as the a-side in 3/70, while "o-o-h" hit the charts as the a-side in 5/70... all three songs are on the lp "stairsteps" alluded to above...
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as buddah 165 also has "who do you belong to" as the B-side....

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2020 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

(Post edited to include much more detail.)

Stereo LP version (printed 3:17, actual 3:14)

I assume that the Stairsteps LP was the only place to find the song in stereo. The commercial 45 was in mono, and the various promo 45s listed on Discogs don't show a stereo/mono configuration.

The oldest CD that I have with the stereo LP version is Rhino's Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vol. 2 (1991), where it runs 3:14 and sounds excellent. Great dynamic range, nice EQ, seemingly low-generation source tape, and no evidence of noise reduction on the fade. The last words I hear on the tail of the fade are: "Right now/Gonna get better." The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Sweet '70s Soul (1991) - severely blunts high end and fades about two beats earlier
  • Rhino's cheapie Seventies Smash Hits Vol. 2 (1993)
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 5 1970 (1996) - tail of fade is about two beats shorter
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Suddenly '70s (1997) - severely blunts high end and fades about two beats earlier
  • Varese Sarabande's Dick Bartley On The Radio Vol. 5 (1998) - tail of fade is about half a beat shorter
  • Rhino's multi-CD Have A Nice Decade (1998)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Seventies Music Explosion One-Hit Wonders (2005) - tail of fade is about two beats shorter
There's another analog transfer on JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1970-1974 (1994). Here, it runs a little slower than Didn't It Blow Your Mind. It seems that the left and right channels are a bit out of synch, so that the high end is blunted when the channels are summed to mono; avoid, if possible. (Didn't It Blow Your Mind sounds just fine when summed to mono.) The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Madacy's Rock On 1970 In The Summertime (1998) - tail of fade is about half a beat shorter
There's one more analog transfer on Rhino's multi-CD Can You Dig It The '70s Soul Experience (2001). This mastering seems to use the same source tape as Didn't It Blow Your Mind, but just runs slower. Sound quality is comparable to Didn't It Blow Your Mind.

Stereo LP version faded early (2:54)

This is just an early fade of the stereo LP version, from 2:49 to 2:54. This early fade didn't exist on record back in 1970.

The early fade originated on Pair's Best Of Buddah (1988) or Pair's Best Of Bubblegum Music (1988); not sure which came out first.

I assume that all the 2:53 or 2:54 versions on CD are also this early fade, and all trace their masterings back to one of the two Pair CDs.

It also shows up on Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 4 1970 (1990) and AM Gold Vol. 2 1970 (1990; a digitally identical repackaging of the whole Superhits disc).

Mono 45 version (printed 3:11, actual 3:12)

The mono 45 is a dedicated mix, not just a fold-down of the stereo LP mix. At the 0:14 mark, the stereo LP mix has reverb on the tom-tom drum fill, but there's no such reverb on the mono 45 mix. (Thanks to Mark M for finding this difference!) There may be other differences as well, but this is the easiest to spot.

The mono 45 mix doesn't appear on a commercially available CD.

But, it does appear on one promo CD! It's on Rhino's Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vols. 1-5 Sampler (PRO2 90055, released 1990). It runs 3:13, and sounds quite nice, with excellent dynamic range, nice EQ, and no evidence of noise reduction on the fade. The tail of the 45 fade is shaped a little differently than the LP fade, so that you can see a difference in the waveforms if you zoom way out.

My recommendations

For the stereo LP version, go with Rhino's Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vol. 2 (1991).

For the mono 45 version, I'll recommend Rhino's promo Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vols. 1-5 Sampler (PRO2 90055, released 1990), although I realize that you probably won't be able to actually find this disc.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 06 October 2020 at 8:06am

ChicagoBill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 October 2020 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote ChicagoBill

Out of the 110 listings of CD's in Pat's database, 105
are Various Artists! Of course the other 5 are CD's that
only contain tracks by the 5 Stairsteps, such as
'Greatest Hits' packages and the one on Real Gone that
appears to be a re-issue of 2 LP's on 1 CD. What is this
an indication of? -Bill.